Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies

Moose

Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #380 on: March 19, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »
I wish Mo the best, but am not about to issue him a hallow. His actions including his decommitting from Uconn were for his own benefit.  And I don't credit him with any contribution to the recruiting of the class of 2011. I doubt if Harrison in Texas, Sampson in Ohio, Pointer in Detroit (North Carolina ) or the two Californian had any idea who he was or in any way were influence to sign on because of Mo.

Worst Post of 2012. We won't even take other nominees this wins it.

Call it worst of 2011 too
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #381 on: March 19, 2012, 02:16:35 AM »
Remember Moe opened the gates for the rest.  He started it.

That is 100% true, but why risk your entire career? What he saw in Lexington this year he'll see in the league. I saw nothing that tells me he's ready. He's a promising freshman. The NBA is insane.

He's not risking his NBA career.   I understand your logic - that a high pick leads to more job security and more patience from the front office.  You're right about that.
But the bottom line is guys like Omar and Barkley, and other early entries didn't not make it in the NBA because they left
early... they didn't make it because they weren't good enough.   As much as I like them, let's call a spade a spade here.   
You might have a longer leash and more cushion if you're a high pick; but coming out early doesn't ruin careers.   If you have the talent you'll find your place in the league. 

He's got talent, but no way does he have more talent than Omar Cook does.

There's no worth arguing in this because I don't think you understand how the NBA drafts and values it's prospects.  It is far, FAR harder to be a PG and come out as an underclassman.  As someone who is 6'8" and is a wing forward, it is FARRRRRR different than an Omar Cook situation. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #382 on: March 19, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »
Theo, I understand completely. And I truly hope that Moe gets taken and makes it big. I love that guy. You are right that the NBA is littered with with point guards. It is also littered with swingmen who don't shoot lights out. And Moe doesn't. His handle is weak, and his strength is well below that of an NBA player. There are a lot intelligent reasons to return. I don't think you can point to just one stat or two with Moe, because there are so many areas where he needs improvement.

The NBA doesn't care what happens to him if by some chance it doesn't work. That said I don't think it is unreasonable to call out anyone telling him to leave. It's a gigantic risk. He's a very good player, but not a great player.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:46:07 AM by Poison »

sju89tr

« Reply #383 on: March 19, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
Funniest thing is, all concerns on this board, email, twitter, and speaking to various general managers and college coaches other then jim boheim were all taken into account.  Id like to thank everybody for your wishes and dialogue that was seriously brought to moe and lavin and others intention.

The decision announced tomorrow will make alot more sense when you hear it tomorrow lol 

But seriously dont think every option wasnt factored. Im a little smarter then most think. Thats what dumb people say though right lol.  Anyway, have a good one ya.  Dave hit me up!

We wish Moe nothing but the best, his NBA jersey's are going to be hot, Can't wait until he comes to LA with his team to watch

Tha Kid

« Reply #384 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
Realscout, thanks for the message.  Regardless of everyone's views on whether moe should stay or go, one thing is constant, we all LOVE Moe and what he did for st johns getting us back on the map, and will be rooting hard for him in the NBA, our first legit St John's rep in the Association since Ron/Metta.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #385 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
i know i'm dreaming, but it'd be awesome for Moe to end up with Mark Jackson.  I think Mark would take good care of him.

sju89tr

« Reply #386 on: March 19, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »
Realscout, thanks for the message.  Regardless of everyone's views on whether moe should stay or go, one thing is constant, we all LOVE Moe and what he did for st johns getting us back on the map, and will be rooting hard for him in the NBA, our first legit St John's rep in the Association since Ron/Metta.

It's about time that we start a good alumni group in NBA, Ron has been at it alone for way too long.

« Reply #387 on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:01 AM »
Theo, I understand completely. And I truly hope that Moe gets taken and makes it big. I love that guy. You are right that the NBA is littered with with point guards. It is also littered with swingmen who don't shoot lights out. And Moe doesn't. His handle is weak, and his strength is well below that of an NBA player.

You say his strength isn't good enough right now.  Do NBA teams not have weight rooms and strength coaches?? You also say he doesn't shoot lights out.  Do NBA teams not have strength coaches and can NBA players not hire shot doctors to work with them?? Same thing with the comment on his handle.

As I said earlier, some of you guys are acting like college is the ONLY place to get better, when in fact evidence might point the other direction.  NCAA rules only allow individual workout time with coaches a few hours per week.  Players also have class to go to while in college which takes a few hours per day.  Those hours are freed up to do workouts in the NBA, and there aren't those types of restrictions on coaches.  In addition, players also have the money to hire personal trainers, nutritionists and shot doctors when they get first round draft pick type money and/or loans before the draft occurs.  Moe, as a child of a single mom who works part time at Applebees, probably doesn't currently have all type of money to throw around for training sessions. 

"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #388 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06:27 AM »
Theo, I understand completely. And I truly hope that Moe gets taken and makes it big. I love that guy. You are right that the NBA is littered with with point guards. It is also littered with swingmen who don't shoot lights out. And Moe doesn't. His handle is weak, and his strength is well below that of an NBA player.

You say his strength isn't good enough right now.  Do NBA teams not have weight rooms and strength coaches?? You also say he doesn't shoot lights out.  Do NBA teams not have strength coaches and can NBA players not hire shot doctors to work with them?? Same thing with the comment on his handle.

As I said earlier, some of you guys are acting like college is the ONLY place to get better, when in fact evidence might point the other direction.  NCAA rules only allow individual workout time with coaches a few hours per week.  Players also have class to go to while in college which takes a few hours per day.  Those hours are freed up to do workouts in the NBA, and there aren't those types of restrictions on coaches.  In addition, players also have the money to hire personal trainers, nutritionists and shot doctors when they get first round draft pick type money and/or loans before the draft occurs.  Moe, as a child of a single mom who works part time at Applebees, probably doesn't currently have all type of money to throw around for training sessions. 

i don't think we need to know Moe's personal family business the way you've just blasted it out.

« Reply #389 on: March 19, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »
Funniest thing is, all concerns on this board, email, twitter, and speaking to various general managers and college coaches other then jim boheim were all taken into account.  Id like to thank everybody for your wishes and dialogue that was seriously brought to moe and lavin and others intention.

The decision announced tomorrow will make alot more sense when you hear it tomorrow lol 

But seriously dont think every option wasnt factored. Im a little smarter then most think. Thats what dumb people say though right lol.  Anyway, have a good one ya.  Dave hit me up!

We wish Moe nothing but the best, his NBA jersey's are going to be hot, Can't wait until he comes to LA with his team to watch

"The decision announced tomorrow will make alot more sense when you hear it tomorrow lol"  - Realscout

"Many #stjbb fans don't understand the big picture. You'll see. Its all good" - Dave on Twitter Last Night

Anyone have any idea on what these gentlemen are referring to?  Can a highly rated recruit be coming?

Poison

« Reply #390 on: March 19, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
We hear about the ones who make it, we don't hear about the ones who don't. Thank the NBA for their cold inhuman approach to their draft. I'm praying Moe becomes a star because he deserves it. The only way this works out for everyone is if that happens.

pmg911

« Reply #391 on: March 19, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »
Some people/posters are so naive its scary.

The NBA is littered with athletic 6'8 wing players and there are even more who are in the D-League right now.

I wish Moe all the luck and success in the world if he is leaving but this young man is making a mistake to try and enter the league this year.

Tha Kid

« Reply #392 on: March 19, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
I don't think a highly rated recruit coming makes those comments or the decision make any more sense than they would have.
"I drink and I know things"

DFF6

« Reply #393 on: March 19, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »

These are all excellent points in favor of Moe going pro now.  While it's always a gamble to enter the draft, if Moe is relatively sure that he'll go mid to late first round this year, then in his position, I'd be hard pressed to tell him to go back to school for one more year, because no one can guarantee that Moe's stock will be this high or higher next year.   For example, if Felipe Lopez declared after his freshman year, he would have likely been a higher draft pick and made more money during his brief NBA career.  Lopez himself admitted as much in a 2006 Daily News article:

"The timing was different then," he says. "I had my opportunity, the first year of college. But it was a family decision. I would have had a few more million dollars in the bank. Others did it, came out early. A lot of top picks, they're not complaining about their decisions."

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2006-12-01/sports/18340109_1_rice-high-school-micheal-ray-richardson-felipe-lopez

MCNPA

« Reply #394 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »

"The decision announced tomorrow will make alot more sense when you hear it tomorrow lol"  - Realscout

"Many #stjbb fans don't understand the big picture. You'll see. Its all good" - Dave on Twitter Last Night

Anyone have any idea on what these gentlemen are referring to?  Can a highly rated recruit be coming?

Maybe he surprises us all and announces he's coming back...lol. He'd punk everybody...  ;D

« Reply #395 on: March 19, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »
Best of luck to Moe!
@Coachnice persong

« Reply #396 on: March 19, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »
For all we know, and we'll know by 2pm, and I'm speculating...but their could be an NBA team in middle of 1st Rd that secretly assured Mo there's NO WAY he'll get past them. 

Obviously, Nate and Dave and others know something, but that's my arm chair speculation that may not even be announced today. 

« Reply #397 on: March 19, 2012, 10:54:35 AM »

i don't think we need to know Moe's personal family business the way you've just blasted it out.

lenn robbins blasted it out already in his article.  I'm just re-stating it.

paultzman

« Reply #398 on: March 19, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
I wish Mo the best, but am not about to issue him a hallow. His actions including his decommitting from Uconn were for his own benefit.  And I don't credit him with any contribution to the recruiting of the class of 2011. I doubt if Harrison in Texas, Sampson in Ohio, Pointer in Detroit (North Carolina ) or the two Californian had any idea who he was or in any way were influence to sign on because of Mo.

Worst Post of 2012. We won't even take other nominees this wins it.

Dave's late evening message went AWOL. Hm!!
Sorry, now realize it was his tweet. Punchy!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:36:28 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #399 on: March 19, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
Anyone know if the press conference will be show anywhere? SNY maybe?