Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies
Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
nbadraft.net has him as the #15 prospect THIS year.  That could be a problem for us.
As Dave says, DraftExpress is usually more current and on top of things.  He's at 1st pick of 2nd round w/ DraftExpress

Moose

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »
I thought u can only test the waters once and that's it

That's right.

Don't know what's right but on the broadcast yesterday they said there's no turning back. Once you declare, you're in.

Correct.  They said it multiple times.  And during the night session as well.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
 His mom wants him to stay..that's gotta count for something, no?

Paul Schwartz ‏ @NYPost_Schwartz Close
The mother of freshman Moe Harkless wants him to stay at St. John's and not leave for the NBA, and so does...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/hey_moe_don_go_pro_jnFuJE3s982mvafmMllrvI
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:52:47 AM by boo3 »

Chilleb

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 12:01:46 PM »
His mom wants him to stay..that's gotta count for something, no?

Paul Schwartz ‏ @NYPost_Schwartz Close
The mother of freshman Moe Harkless wants him to stay at St. John's and not leave for the NBA, and so does...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/hey_moe_don_go_pro_jnFuJE3s982mvafmMllrvI

Reading this just made me chuckle and almost shed a tear at the same time. My uncle just recently passed away and one of my last conversations with him was about moe harkless. As he lay on his stretcher we had a heated debate of whether he goes pro or stays, he grew up and was very good friends with moe's mother rosa and knew his detached father also from southside
 jamaica queens and swore to me if I thought moe was leaving I was out of my mind and must not know his mother. He told me how moe's mom was no joke and that if moe thought he was one and done she would go upside his head as many times as she needed to until she knocked some sense into him.

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »
I believe the rules on the NBA side did not change under the new CBA that was signed in December.

The NCAA however put some more restrictions requiring that the possible early entrant formally withdraw by no later then May 8th.  And also the NBA allows that player to withdraw twice, however the NCAA does not.  The NCAA only allows that player to do it once and still keep his eligiblity:

"Early entry" Players who are not automatically eligible, but wish to be drafted, must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the draft.[12] After this date, "early entry" players may attend NBA pre-draft camps and individual team workouts to show off their skills and obtain feedback regarding their draft positions. Under the CBA, a player may withdraw his name from consideration from the draft at any time before the final declaration date, which is 10 days before the draft.[13] However, the NCAA adopted a rule that took effect in August 2009 that requires players at its member institutions to withdraw no later than May 8 to retain their college eligibility; the first draft affected by this rule was the 2010 draft.[14] A player who declares for the draft will lose his college eligibility, even if he is not drafted, if any of the following is true:

The player signs with an agent.[15]
The player has declared for and withdrawn from a previous draft. Although the NBA collective bargaining agreement allows a player to withdraw twice,[13] the NCAA only allows a player to enter the draft once without losing eligibility.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligibility_for_the_NBA_Draft

desco80

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »
Anyone else think he is a top 10 pick right now? His potential is off the charts. Although next year, he's the # 1 pick imo

Nah I don't think he's in the top 10 now, 20-25 would be my guess.   But I don't think he'd slip to the second round either, unless he performed real poorly in workouts.   

Next year is tough to say - but he would need to make a HUGE jump to be a top 5 pick in my eyes.    He would need to really show he could create from the wing, and shoot from there as well.  The 3 spot on the wing is loaded with skill in the NBA.   If you're 6'10 it's a different story because PFs like Favors and Derrick Williams get drafted high on athleticism alone. 

But at SF you need to create.   Moes got the body of a Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Loul Deng type of guy.   But those players can operate like a guard with the ball in their hands.   That's the next step for Moe in my mind.
Hope it happens.

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
see devin ebanks who came out after one year and is the same size and rots on the laker bench.

desco80

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »
Just THIS SECOND got this info...MO might test the waters but hes 99% coming back. Suprisingly his premeier concern was being able to play at the 3/4 and never the 5 and wated some assurences that a big was being brought in.
[/b]

That might end up being the most interesting part of the story.   Because we know the staff doesn't see Gift as a starter.   
So what's it going to take to answer Moe's concerns?   Would another combo forward like Jakarr be enough?   Or does he want to see 2 more post players on the team besides himself?

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 12:39:40 PM »
All I gotta say about testing the water is....

V V Brown - Shark In The Water
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

DFF6

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »
Just THIS SECOND got this info...MO might test the waters but hes 99% coming back. Suprisingly his premeier concern was being able to play at the 3/4 and never the 5 and wated some assurences that a big was being brought in.
[/b]

That might end up being the most interesting part of the story.   Because we know the staff doesn't see Gift as a starter.   
So what's it going to take to answer Moe's concerns?   Would another combo forward like Jakarr be enough?   Or does he want to see 2 more post players on the team besides himself?

I think picking up Obekpa would address Moe's concern. 

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
I think next year is most definitely Top 5 in the draft. But if he needs the money now I totally understand, I hope he listens to his momma though.

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 10:16:37 PM »
Staying the extra year isn't about improving strength or his jumpshot, those will improve whether he is here or in the NBA, it's just that it may be a wise investment for him to wait another year and get drafted higher than he would this year.  The higher you are drafted, the more the franchise has invested in you and that means they will give you every opportunity to succeed, which he may not have if he is a late first/ early 2nd round pick.  Not to mention the increase in salary between the 30th pick and 10th pick is pretty drastic.

+1 for that, I love to argue but you shut me up good point
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Poison

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
see devin ebanks who came out after one year and is the same size and rots on the laker bench.

He didn't come out after one year

derk

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 10:40:13 PM »
All I gotta say about testing the water is....

V V Brown - Shark In The Water

Choz,

Thanks for turning me on to V V. I think I'm in love. Hope Moe steers clear of the shark.

Tiznow

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
He does not have enough tatoos to play in the NBA and he seems smart enough to listen to his mom.

I just hope Christopher O is as smart as Moe and comes to this program.

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:34 PM »
Anyone else think he is a top 10 pick right now? His potential is off the charts. Although next year, he's the # 1 pick imo

Are you insane?

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 02:03:44 AM »

Are you insane?

Agreed, still needs a three ball and FT to improve on.  Also, taking 4-5 off the dribble to score is easier than taking 3's in the NBA.  And if you cant make a three it hurts.

Someone mentioned he wont improve any more or less in college than he does in the NBA and that may be true.  But if he becomes around a 150 shooter next year instead of a 120 or 130 shooter (FG, 3pt + FT%) like he was this year than he wont be a late first/ early second round pick.  He'll be a lot higher draft pick and will end up in a better situation than Ebanks.

Good news for Moe, he's not Terrance Morris.  It can only get better for him draftwise.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:14:24 AM by B-Squared »

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 08:37:15 AM »
Give me 10 guys you take over H

Are you insane?

Give me 10 guys you take over Harkless

Moose

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 08:46:38 AM »
Give me 10 guys you take over H

Are you insane?

Give me 10 guys you take over Harkless

Anthony Davis
Michael Kidd Gilchrest
Harrison Barnes
Thomas Robinson
Cody Zeller
Terrance Jones
Tyler Zeller

I don't want to start writing guards because it all depends on needs.  Not every teams is going to draft a 3, 4 or 5.  Some will need 1 and 2's so these bigs will drop.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
I tale him over both Zellers and Jones