Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies
Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #920 on: June 30, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
Nice article that also notes SJU still in it w Whitehead, Mc Cullough and Lawrence. Zach does a great job covering local hoops!

“@NYPost_Brazille: Braziller: Harkless perfect example for city stars http://t.co/or96Nj0u via @newyorkpost”
You're right. Zach does an excellent job

Hasn't Whitehead's mom stated she wants him to stay close?  This article should be sent right to her.

she said in a documentary  interview she wants him at st. john's

Chilleb

« Reply #921 on: July 09, 2012, 12:18:10 AM »
Plays tomorrow at 5 against the pacers.

« Reply #922 on: July 14, 2012, 11:42:58 PM »
Moe back in NYC?  Good to see he's hanging with the guys

Maurice Harkless ‏@moe_harkless
With my Bros chillin @Anteh23 @philgreene31 @KarrSampson14 & @maxthehooper .. Follow them, doing big things this year #stjbb

paultzman

« Reply #923 on: July 24, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »
“@TDimas_: Maurice Harkless has been officially signed by #Sixers. #stjbb http://t.co/zHN62Rzz

Tha Kid

« Reply #924 on: July 24, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
Congrats to Moe on inking that NBA contract!
"I drink and I know things"

NYCoffey

« Reply #925 on: July 25, 2012, 05:40:22 PM »
So happy for him. His hard work paid off.

9h 

Adam Zagoria  @AdamZagoria   

Moe Harkless & Arnett Moultrie both signed with the Sixers, per the Philly Inky. Harkless will earn $1.73M in his 1st yr & Moultrie $1.04

ras

« Reply #926 on: July 25, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
Im happy and proud of Moe, Although I would have loved him to stay another year. Hope this is the beginning of a long list of SJU NBA pros.

« Reply #927 on: July 26, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
Here's a crazy question: Given the silliness of the NCAA rulebook, when Moe is hanging with his former teammates and picks up the tab for lunch, is it now a violation? Is he a high-paid alumnus delivering benefits to student-athletes? Obviously, I know what the common-sense answer to that is, but the NCAA and common sense parted ways many decades ago.

« Reply #928 on: July 26, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »
Here's a crazy question: Given the silliness of the NCAA rulebook, when Moe is hanging with his former teammates and picks up the tab for lunch, is it now a violation? Is he a high-paid alumnus delivering benefits to student-athletes? Obviously, I know what the common-sense answer to that is, but the NCAA and common sense parted ways many decades ago.

you can take that one step further. Amir just brought himself a Tahoe. And I assume that he has disposable income that isn't available to the rest of the guys.  can he pay for lunch, dinner, etc for the guys?

derk

« Reply #929 on: July 26, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »
Even crazier for Amir since he is still a teamate. I'm sure we'll get screwed with one of these situations

LJSA

« Reply #930 on: July 26, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »

you can take that one step further. Amir just brought himself a Tahoe. And I assume that he has disposable income that isn't available to the rest of the guys.  can he pay for lunch, dinner, etc for the guys?

Amir picking up the tab for a potential recruit would be disaster, but I can't imagine how the NCAA could complain about him treating teammates to anything. It's pretty easy to document that the money is his.

I would not want Harkless paying for anything, though.

crgreen

« Reply #931 on: July 26, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »

Amir picking up the tab for a potential recruit would be disaster, but I can't imagine how the NCAA could complain about him treating teammates to anything. It's pretty easy to document that the money is his.

I would not want Harkless paying for anything, though.

Yes, he surely can.   As unfair as it seems, if the money is the PLAYERS it's okay.  If it's the players FAMILY'S money - it gets really iffy.    Bill Walton caused some major issues for Arizona when he bought an apartment for his son Luke when he was a wildcat.  Problem wasn't with Luke - it was that Luke's roommate Richard Jefferson ALSO lived in the apartment - and neither paid rent.

However, when U$C put Romeo Miller on basketball scholarship for 2 years in 2008-2010, he was free to spend his disposable income however he saw fit....pretty easy for him to prove the money was HIS and not daddy Master P's - his debut album "Lil Romeo" went platinum in 2001, and the followup "Game Time" went double Platinum in 2003  - Kid wasn't even in high school yet....

« Reply #932 on: July 26, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
And what about a guy like Moe, who is no longer a teammate?

This isn't a new issue – others have been dealing with it for years. It's just been a while since we've had one of our guys cashing a seven-figure check while his old mates are still on a student budget.

How does the NCAA look upon a guy helping out his former teammates?

DFF6

« Reply #933 on: July 26, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »

This isn't a new issue – others have been dealing with it for years. It's just been a while since we've had one of our guys cashing a seven-figure check while his old mates are still on a student budget.

You picked a good name, Firestorm, because it looks like you're trying to brew one up. 

« Reply #934 on: July 26, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »
Ha! Trust me, no malicious intent in this, just curiosity.

Programs that have routinely churned out first-rounders in recent years must have been dealing with this issue. I'm glad we finally get a chance to have the discussion.

DFF6

« Reply #935 on: July 26, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »
Ha! Trust me, no malicious intent in this, just curiosity.

Programs that have routinely churned out first-rounders in recent years must have been dealing with this issue. I'm glad we finally get a chance to have the discussion.

LOL!  I didn't think you had malicious intent behind the post.  Given our history with NCAA violations, however, I always like to keep a low profile when we talk about possible NCAA violations.

crgreen

« Reply #936 on: July 27, 2012, 02:30:41 AM »

This isn't a new issue – others have been dealing with it for years. It's just been a while since we've had one of our guys cashing a seven-figure check while his old mates are still on a student budget.

You mean how do they view a wealthy alumnus of a Major college giving cash or merchandise to current student athletes or recruits at that college?

Guys, this one is really a no-brainer.     

derk

« Reply #937 on: July 27, 2012, 09:46:21 AM »

You mean how do they view a wealthy alumnus of a Major college giving cash or merchandise to current student athletes or recruits at that college?

Guys, this one is really a no-brainer.   

The scary part is Moe 's tweets indicate he stays in touch with his former mates. Not all that unusual but new for us. They could very easily meet up when the Sixers come to the Garden or on the road somewhere. Hopefully, coach included a sentence or two about NCAA rules & regs in Moe's discussion about going pro. With our luck ...

Moose

« Reply #938 on: July 27, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »
Lets keep bringing it up here so Zags and company can read it and look into it.......
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #939 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »
Lets keep bringing it up here so Zags and company can read it and look into it.......

Exactly, no upside to this nonsense!