Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ

• 118 replies

gman

Re: Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 08:36:12 PM »
I'm a little surprised at the lack of positivity surrounding this news.

1. I'm so happy for Moe. He is living his lifelong dream. How many people can say that?
2. Moe is a Johnny for life. Imagine what Baron Davis, Earl Watson, etc are to Lavin. Moe's going to be way more than that.
3. Moe's news already has the next guys in line really excited about coming

Would this team be better with Moe than without him next year but you have to look at the big picture. Also Moe might go higher in the draft than any of you might think.

Agree Dave. Re: #3, studs like McCullough and Lawrence will be especially impressed. Agree?

I totally agree with that.  We have  a staff with a coach that has put numerous kids in the NBA and assistants with NBA experience.  This staff is built to put kids in the pros and Moe proves that.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 08:39:38 PM »

1. I'm so happy for Moe. He is living his lifelong dream. How many people can say that?
2. Moe is a Johnny for life. Imagine what Baron Davis, Earl Watson, etc are to Lavin. Moe's going to be way more than that.
3. Moe's news already has the next guys in line really excited about coming to St. John's.

Would this team be better with Moe than without him next year but you have to look at the big picture. Also Moe might go higher in the draft than any of you might think.

I wish Moe all the best, but in all seriousness, what is the big picture?

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »

3. Moe's news already has the next guys in line really excited about coming to St. John's.

Kids want to make the league, Lavin took a non McDonalds All-American and in 1 year he's going to be a first round pick. You have an opportunity to get better and be a pro with this staff. St Johns becomes a much easier sell. This also helps fundraising tremendously too just wait till the Moe makes his first donation back to the school.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 08:51:33 PM »

Kids want to make the league, Lavin took a non McDonalds All-American and in 1 year he's going to be a first round pick.
You have an opportunity to get better and be a pro with this staff. St Johns becomes a much easier sell. This also helps fundraising tremendously too just wait till the Moe makes his first donation back to the school.

I understand about kids wanting to play for a program that gets them to the league. That makes sense. But we are asking recruits to recognize that right now and come on board. In order to compete in the BE we are going to need several players of that caliber. Not just Sampson.

RedVet

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »

I do too, of course. But the big picture I'm looking at says that if Mo stays we could vying for a Big East or national championship next year, which would have much bigger benefits and his going pro after one year.

desco80

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »

I do too, of course. But the big picture I'm looking at says that if Mo stays we could vying for a Big East or national championship next year, which would have much bigger benefits and his going pro after one year.

REALLY?!   
With or without Moe we were still going to be a year away from really reaping the benefits of Lavin's rebuilding process.
Obviously would have been better with him, but Moe strength was his potential, his productivity really wasn't as important as you're making it out to be. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:59:42 PM by desco80 »

desco80

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
I think everyone will be happy with how they reload.
All along Lav has said 13 is the big year though.  But if the reloading comes to fruition Lav will not be announcing next year on CBS.

Right now I don't see us as  a tourney team. I think we will struggle next year. As we  just saw even talented frosh will struggle. Even if the BE is watered down a bit next season.

We're not "reloading" though.
  We've lost one player, albeit an important one.   I don't think we're going to be world beaters, but there is a possibility we could be pretty good.   

A lot depends on what the rest of the class looks like.   If it's Chandler and Morris... we're a significantly better team than we were this season. 
But Amir and Dom will need to take big steps forward.   I think that's the key (assuming Lavin signs a big man or two).

Yes we are - it's just that we're still reloading from 2011.

Point taken CR.   We are still in the midst of a reloading from 2 years ago.   I was responding to those who thought we reloading in the sense that UK and SU have to when guys depart early. 

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »

Kids want to make the league, Lavin took a non McDonalds All-American and in 1 year he's going to be a first round pick.
You have an opportunity to get better and be a pro with this staff. St Johns becomes a much easier sell. This also helps fundraising tremendously too just wait till the Moe makes his first donation back to the school.

I understand about kids wanting to play for a program that gets them to the league. That makes sense. But we are asking recruits to recognize that right now and come on board. In order to compete in the BE we are going to need several players of that caliber. Not just Sampson.

St. John's competed last year with 6 scholarship players. Now those guys will be sophomores, add in Branch, Sampson and Sanchez, Marco, Chandler on the way. How is that not enough to compete?

Meanwhile the rest of the Big East will be losing guys, St. John's is returning and adding better talent in comparison. Future is blinding bright.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sju89tr

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »

St. John's competed last year with 6 scholarship players. Now those guys will be sophomores, add in Branch, Sampson and Sanchez, Marco, Chandler on the way. How is that not enough to compete?

Meanwhile the rest of the Big East will be losing guys, St. John's is returning and adding better talent in comparison. Future is blinding bright.

Great post Dave. Yes I am disappointed Moe will not be back, I will miss him but the success he had in 1 year at St Johns will prove very tempting to future recruits. 

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »

St. John's competed last year with 6 scholarship players. Now those guys will be sophomores, add in Branch, Sampson
and Sanchez, Marco, Chandler on the way. How is that not enough to compete?

Sanchez,  Marco & Chandler ? Dave are you hinting that they are close to committing ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:35:05 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Moose

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »

For the depth chart lovers

PG- Branch, Greene
SG- Harrison, Marco, Felix
SF- Amir, Sir Dom
PF- Karr, Sanchez
C- Chandler, Gift.
Remember who broke the Slice news

DFF6

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »

PG- Branch, Greene
SF- Amir, Sir Dom
PF- Karr, Sanchez
C- Chandler, Gift.

The above line up would be incredible! Any chance for Morris too?

Moose

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »

PG- Branch, Greene
SF- Amir, Sir Dom
PF- Karr, Sanchez
C- Chandler, Gift.

Where though?
Lot of guys there already.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »
Chandler is the key. If he comes I think we'll be okay, but I still think its asking a lot to make the tournament-but that needs to be our and their expectation.

Tiznow

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:58 PM »
Agree with the posts that point to solid improvements next season despite the loss of Harkless.  Just the fact that GG will be coming off the bench with fewer minutes allowing him to be more effective is a sign of a stronger and deeper roster.  We do need to hope for few injuries - just as most teams do.

If, as projected, Moe goes around 20th in the draft, this program and its "NBA experienced" staff will be able to fill a large recruiting gap.  Moe will have passed by many higher ranked players who played for very successful coaches this season.  The failure to produce NBA players has been used against this program for a decade.  Let's hope Harkless has great workouts and moves up further. 

ras

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »

The above would put us in excellent position to compete. Athough we all wish Moe the best in the NBA, we have grown attached to him as part of the fresh 5 and would have loved to see him play another year at SJU as part of the super sophs.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:47:47 PM by ras »

DFF6

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »

PG- Branch, Greene
SF- Amir, Sir Dom
PF- Karr, Sanchez
C- Chandler, Gift.

Where though?
Lot of guys there already.

Well, Morris is obviously a SG, but given Lavin's proven ability to get his players to the pros, I have to assume that there will be an opening at the SG position after the end of next season.   ;)

ras

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
Chandler is the key. If he comes I think we'll be okay, but I still think its asking a lot to make the tournament-but that needs to be our and their expectation.
I disagree, if we get Chandler and the others I think we would be a top 25 team, and by the end of the year our youngsters will even be more improved and could make the sweet 16.  If Lavin reels in those recuits, I will have to take my hat off to him.

desco80

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »

EXACTLY.    We finally need that real, legit, Big East caliber Center.   Not undersized and playing out of position, or big but unathletic; but and honest to god big-time college Center with both size and skill.  You know... the kind we're used to seeing play for UCONN, Georgetown, Syracuse, Louisville and the rest of the top 25  ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:00:56 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
hey guys, not to beat a dead horse or be a pessimist but i have a question for those in the know.  Is it a better recruting ploy to sell "after one year we can get you drafted 15-25" or "after two years you can be a top 10 pick ala harkless".  Sorry if this was already asked.