Quincy Roberts entering draft

• 43 replies

paultzman

Re: Quincy Roberts entering draft
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »
He is the 4th leading scorer in the country...

...in only 20 games - he didn't actually qualify.   And over the last 10, his scoring, FG% and 3pt% all dropped from the 1st 10.

Wish him all the luck, but will be absolutely STUNNED if he's drafted.
totally stunned.  Plus, if he doesn't w/d by April 10th with the new rule, he cannot go back...

Sean Muto also announced his intention to take his talents to the NBA. Boy!

LJSA

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »

...for a SWAC school...

Still impressive if you ask me.

I haven't paid attention lately, but the SWAC used to regularly have guys near the top of the scoring charts every year -- we're talking like 26 to 32 ppg -- and most of those dudes never played in the NBA.

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »

...for a SWAC school...

I haven't paid attention lately, but the SWAC used to regularly have guys near the top of the scoring charts every year -- we're talking like 26 to 32 ppg -- and most of those dudes never played in the NBA.

I'm not saying he will get drafted, but he seems to be no slouch. You don't just score 23 per game if you aren't very talented. Obviously we did not utilize his skills effectively in his time here.

LJSA

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 07:46:36 PM »

...for a SWAC school...

I'm not saying he will get drafted, but he seems to be no slouch. You don't just score 23 per game if you aren't very talented. Obviously we did not utilize his skills effectively in his time here.

And I'm not saying he is a slouch, but it's stupid to declare if you have no shot at getting drafted. Next year he could average 28 ppg, and have a better shot.

mkras99

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »

...for a SWAC school...

The Steve Rogers, Alphonso Ford, Lindsey Hunter trio.

Foad

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:36 PM »
Am I missing something?

Yes: for one, the opportunity to drone on for 16 paragraphs about a kid who transferred from UCLA in 1963 to a D2 school and was fourth in the country in scoring and declared for the draft his junior year but things didn't work out so he moved to Bolivia where he got a job as a lifeguard while honing his his jump shot when through the good graces of Sam Gilbert he garnered a try out for the Bolivian national team but was the last cut so he went back to the beach and continued saving the lives of swimmers in distress while honing his left hand and then thanks to John Wooden he moved to France where he got a job playing basketball professionally for the Lyons Butchers of Le League de Basquetballe Nationale and through sweat and hard work made Le All Star Team and was named Le Playeur Tres Bien and finally moved back to the United States where thanks to Walt Hazzard he finally got a try out for the Virginia Squires of the American Basketball where had he made the team he would have had the opportunity to play with Zelmo "Big Z" Beaty who IIRC correctly averaged 17 and 17 his senior year at a small historically black school located in the deep south not unlike Grambling University, whence Quincy Roberts tranferred, to wit, Prarie View A and M. That lifeguard's name? David Hasselhoff.

Have you ever seen Quincy play? No? The you're missing two things. He has a better shot at making the league than whichever one of those pasty faced Plumleesteins from DooK will be a lottery pick this year.

crgreen

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 06:06:01 AM »
Am I missing something?

Yes: for one, the opportunity to drone on for 16 paragraphs about a kid who transferred from UCLA in 1963 to a D2 school and was fourth in the country in scoring and declared for the draft his junior year but things didn't work out so he moved to Bolivia where he got a job as a lifeguard while honing his his jump shot when through the good graces of Sam Gilbert he garnered a try out for the Bolivian national team but was the last cut so he went back to the beach and continued saving the lives of swimmers in distress while honing his left hand and then thanks to John Wooden he moved to France where he got a job playing basketball professionally for the Lyons Butchers of Le League de Basquetballe Nationale and through sweat and hard work made Le All Star Team and was named Le Playeur Tres Bien and finally moved back to the United States where thanks to Walt Hazzard he finally got a try out for the Virginia Squires of the American Basketball where had he made the team he would have had the opportunity to play with Zelmo "Big Z" Beaty who IIRC correctly averaged 17 and 17 his senior year at a small historically black school located in the deep south not unlike Grambling University, whence Quincy Roberts tranferred, to wit, Prarie View A and M. That lifeguard's name? David Hasselhoff.

Have you ever seen Quincy play? No? The you're missing two things. He has a better shot at making the league than whichever one of those pasty faced Plumleesteins from DooK will be a lottery pick this year.

Uh, actually, yes.  I've seen several of Quincy's games.   I repeat, with be stunned if he get's drafted.   Will be mildly surprised if he's even invited to the combine.

Foad

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 07:54:46 AM »
Next year he could average 28 ppg, and have a better shot.

He'd be 24 if he stayed and graduated next year. I don't see how that would help his odds of getting drafted. Maybe he should get a phD and apply for the draft when he's 36 and averaging 75 ppg in the grad school rec league.

Foad

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »
Uh, actually, yes.  I've seen several of Quincy's games.

Huh. You should email Ken Pomeroy. He wrote a piece about Roberts a while back and couldn't even find a picture of him in a Grambling uniform. And here you are studying game film.

I repeat, with be stunned if he get's drafted.

Yes, I with be stunned if he's drafted as well. But I without be stunned if he's playing somewhere for money next year and I without be stunned that he wants to see how he matches up against the competition and I without be stunned that he doesn't have a lot left to prove at Grambling and I without be stunned that all that flew over your head, much like a pass that Sidney Wicks threw flew over the head of Lee Walczuk in the second half of a preseason game against Valpariaso in November 1968 striking the face of the young lady called Toni who would grow up to be the mother of the best shooter ever coached by the man who would be mentored by and eventually succeed John Wooden, which is to say Steve Lavin, who was sitting courtside rooting on her beloved bruins. And that shooter'name? Jason Kapono.

Moose

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »
Good to see the return of Fun :2funny:
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »
Uh, actually, yes.  I've seen several of Quincy's games.

Huh. You should email Ken Pomeroy. He wrote a piece about Roberts a while back and couldn't even find a picture of him in a Grambling uniform. And here you are studying game film.

I repeat, with be stunned if he get's drafted.

Yes, I with be stunned if he's drafted as well. But I without be stunned if he's playing somewhere for money next year and I without be stunned that he wants to see how he matches up against the competition and I without be stunned that he doesn't have a lot left to prove at Grambling and I without be stunned that all that flew over your head, much like a pass that Sidney Wicks threw flew over the head of Lee Walczuk in the second half of a preseason game against Valpariaso in November 1968 striking the face of the young lady called Toni who would grow up to be the mother of the best shooter ever coached by the man who would be mentored by and eventually succeed John Wooden, which is to say Steve Lavin, who was sitting courtside rooting on her beloved bruins. And that shooter'name? Jason Kapono.

Apparently KenPom hasn't been laid up in a hospital bed all season with nothing to do but surf the Web 18 hrs a day  looking for UCLA and St.JOhns hoops related video.  Started looking for Grambling games after Quincey went for 28 vs TCU in his first game in January.   By the way, 28 pts on 10 of TWENTY-SIX shots.

Oh.  And Sid only ever threw ONE pass to Walczuk in a game situation during Lee's one year on varsity.  He fumbled it away, but right to John Ecker for a layup.  Yes.  I was there for every game (including exhibitions) in 68-69.

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »
way to kick ass, cr!!!

Foad

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
Apparently KenPom hasn't been laid up in a hospital bed all season with nothing to do but surf the Web 18 hrs a day  looking for UCLA and St.JOhns hoops related video.  Started looking for Grambling games after Quincey went for 28 vs TCU in his first game in January.   By the way, 28 pts on 10 of TWENTY-SIX shots.

Oh.  And Sid only ever threw ONE pass to Walczuk in a game situation during Lee's one year on varsity.  He fumbled it away, but right to John Ecker for a layup.  Yes.  I was there for every game (including exhibitions) in 68-69.

Of course you are free to maintain that your interest in SJ basketball is such that you were spending your days scouring the web researching players who had transferred away from SJ. No doubt you have spent countless hours watching tape of Tyshwan Edmudson, are an afficiando of Tyler Jones Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/#!/melvintyler69), and troll Ebay looking for Tristan Smith throw back jerseys. Most preople will even believe you. Because the gullibility quotient here is such that you can peddle any old twaddle and three quarters of the people will believe half of it and the other quarter the rest. This is a small pond in which even the most ill informed posters are recruiting experts with insider information garnered from various sources and moles. Some posters even like to pretend to be journalists, but I think that's a bit over the top. I mean me, I get my dope straight from TGAPL's proctologist, but even I wouldn't pretend to work for a newspaper. That's really just too lame. So anyway I'll accept that you know more about Quincy Roberts than Ken Pomeroy, well, except for how to spell his name. After all, Pomeroy just invented a revolutionary method of analyzing college basketball statistics. He didn't even go to UCLA. What does he know?

However, what I won't accept are your lies and slander about the great Lee Walczuk. Those will not be allowed to stand. You may have run your dog up the flag pole, but its not going to hunt, not at that height.

Before attending UCLA, Lee Walczuk was the most prolific scorer in the history of Ohio basketball, averaging over 30 points a game as a junior. He received scholarship offers from 20 universities, finally settling on UCLA only because Hal Holbrook - like Walczuk, a Clevelander, and then playing Mark Twain on Broadway - told him "go west young man, go to UCLA" after Walczuk confessed to Holbrook that he dreamed of a career in show business. Specifically Walczuk loved puppets and puppetry, and Holbrook counseled him to make his education as close to Hollywood as possible.

Walczuk spent three years as a scholarship basketball player at UCLA, not one. I don't know why you'd want to lie about that. He played on the freshman team his first year, half way through which his appendix burst, nearly killing him. His sophomore year he redshirted. His junior year he played on the national championship team with Wicks, Lucius Allen, and another UCLA grad who'd go on to a long and distinguished acting career: Curtis Rowe. I'm sorry did I say Curtis Rowe, I meant Mike Warren obviously. Following the national championship year Walczuk suffered a back injury and was advised that if he played basketball again he risked suffering permanent damage. He thereafter dropped out of school and drifted around LA on the fringes of the entertainment industry, working for a time on the groundbreaking show HR Puffenstuff, with Sid and Marty Krofft. Later he returned to UCLA and took a degree in theatre arts, after which he moved to Europe where he had a long successful career as a mime and puppeteer, eventually founding the Walczuk Ensemble, a widely respected children's theatre. He even acted in film, receiving international acclaim for his role as a Polish holocaust victim in  "The Year of the Quiet Son." Perhaps when you're through searching for film of Eric King on utube you can watch "Die weiße Hölle vom Piz Palü," it's riveting stuff.

Such are the vicissitudes of life. Some people like puppets. Some people use capital letters when they're writing, for EMPHASIS. Some people transfer to Grambling and declare for the NBA draft after being named as the most valuable player in the college basketball by Ken Pomeroy, who is to the sport what Bill James is to baseball. Of course Bill James worked in a canning plant or summat, what does he know. He couldn't pick Tim Doyle out of a freaking line up.

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 02:04:48 PM »

Of course you are free to maintain that your interest in SJ basketball is such that you were spending your days scouring the web researching players who had transferred away from SJ. No doubt you have spent countless hours watching tape of Tyshwan Edmudson, are an afficiando of Tyler Jones Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/#!/melvintyler69), and troll Ebay looking for Tristan Smith throw back jerseys. Most preople will even believe you. Because the gullibility quotient here is such that you can peddle any old twaddle and three quarters of the people will believe half of it and the other quarter the rest. This is a small pond in which even the most ill informed posters are recruiting experts with insider information garnered from various sources and moles. Some posters even like to pretend to be journalists, but I think that's a bit over the top. I mean me, I get my dope straight from TGAPL's proctologist, but even I wouldn't pretend to work for a newspaper. That's really just too lame. So anyway I'll accept that you know more about Quincy Roberts than Ken Pomeroy, well, except for how to spell his name. After all, Pomeroy just invented a revolutionary method of analyzing college basketball statistics. He didn't even go to UCLA. What does he know?

However, what I won't accept are your lies and slander about the great Lee Walczuk. Those will not be allowed to stand. You may have run your dog up the flag pole, but its not going to hunt, not at that height.

Before attending UCLA, Lee Walczuk was the most prolific scorer in the history of Ohio basketball, averaging over 30 points a game as a junior. He received scholarship offers from 20 universities, finally settling on UCLA only because Hal Holbrook - like Walczuk, a Clevelander, and then playing Mark Twain on Broadway - told him "go west young man, go to UCLA" after Walczuk confessed to Holbrook that he dreamed of a career in show business. Specifically Walczuk loved puppets and puppetry, and Holbrook counseled him to make his education as close to Hollywood as possible.

Walczuk spent three years as a scholarship basketball player at UCLA, not one. I don't know why you'd want to lie about that. He played on the freshman team his first year, half way through which his appendix burst, nearly killing him. His sophomore year he redshirted. His junior year he played on the national championship team with Wicks, Lucius Allen, and another UCLA grad who'd go on to a long and distinguished acting career: Curtis Rowe. I'm sorry did I say Curtis Rowe, I meant Mike Warren obviously. Following the national championship year Walczuk suffered a back injury and was advised that if he played basketball again he risked suffering permanent damage. He thereafter dropped out of school and drifted around LA on the fringes of the entertainment industry, working for a time on the groundbreaking show HR Puffenstuff, with Sid and Marty Krofft. Later he returned to UCLA and took a degree in theatre arts, after which he moved to Europe where he had a long successful career as a mime and puppeteer, eventually founding the Walczuk Ensemble, a widely respected children's theatre. He even acted in film, receiving international acclaim for his role as a Polish holocaust victim in  "The Year of the Quiet Son." Perhaps when you're through searching for film of Eric King on utube you can watch "Die weiße Hölle vom Piz Palü," it's riveting stuff.

Such are the vicissitudes of life. Some people like puppets. Some people use capital letters when they're writing, for EMPHASIS. Some people transfer to Grambling and declare for the NBA draft after being named as the most valuable player in the college basketball by Ken Pomeroy, who is to the sport what Bill James is to baseball. Of course Bill James worked in a canning plant or summat, what does he know. He couldn't pick Tim Doyle out of a freaking line up.
cr and fun, I don't believe either one of you.  I'm going to have to take a trip with my wife to the big island, stay at the wild orchid and ask the man himself what his "story" is....  :2funny:

The other Bruins may have lived the basketball dream life, but I would have no problem living where Walczuk is now :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:10:56 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
He even acted in film, receiving international acclaim for his role as a Polish holocaust victim in "The Year of the Quiet Son."

I thought the film and Lee were snubbed by the academy that year in not receiving "Best Picture" and "Best Supporting Actor" nominations, respectively.

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »

Here's an interesting story about Walczuk's transfer during HS:

http://dcoughlin.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/break-the-story-first/

"In January of 1965, Leo Walczuk called. It was about 10 o’clock at night. I answered the phone. I didn’t know him but I knew of him. He was the father of basketball player Lee Walczuk, a junior who was averaging 30 points a game for Gilmour Academy.

“I’m going to transfer him to St. Edward tomorrow morning,” Leo said.  Mr. Walczuk was famous for saying things like that. Ed Chay, my predecessor on the high school beat, said that a year earlier Leo had called at least twice saying that he would transfer his son to St. Ignatius one time and St. Joseph on another occasion. He never followed through. None of that ever happened. We could not take him seriously. He had cried wolf too often.  But I couldn’t entirely dismiss him. The more he talked, the more serious he sounded.

I called St. Edward basketball coach Jim Connors at home on Robinwood Ave. in Lakewood. I reached him just before he went to bed. He knew nothing about such a development. He knew of Lee Walczuk. Everybody knew of Lee Walczuk. He was in the news all the time as he neared the 1,000-point mark in his career. He had started as a freshman at Gilmour, which had a nice team under Geoff Morton, a young coach of high esteem. Gilmour was winning about 80 percent of its games under Morton.

Connors, however, also had a nice team with a delicate balance. The Eagles had a 15-1 record. They had three players who averaged about 15 points each. They were senior John Wells, a 5-5 all-scholastic guard; junior Walter Violand, a 6-1 forward; and Ralph Pavicic, a big body 6-4 center. They were like a finely tuned watch. Each player had a distinctive role; each player knew his role and each player stayed within his role. Connors was not looking for mid-season transfers. Actually, it was well beyond mid-season. There were only two regular season games left and then the tournament.

I put nothing in the paper. A lot of fathers talk that way at night but wake up the next morning and think more clearly. For Lee to transfer to another private school and be eligible to play varsity basketball immediately, the family would have to actually move. They would have to pack up their many children and their possessions and move. Those were the rules of the Ohio High School Athletic Association. What Mr. Walczuk proposed seemed illogical. Gilmour was a top-of-the-line prep school with an outstanding basketball team. I know parents who would trade lifetime servitude to give their children that kind of opportunity.
Nevertheless, all night long I worried. He just might do it. And if he did, it would happen onPress time. School started at 8:33 a.m. If he’s walking the hallways, some kid is gonna see him—hundreds of kids will see him—and all it takes is one kid with a dime to call the Pressand say, “Guess what!” and they would have the story in their home edition. There was a pay phone a few steps away from the main office and another in the gym lobby.

The next morning at eight o’clock, Lee and his father were in the main office at St. Edward High School signing the papers and handing over a $150 check for Lee’s tuition for the second semester, which was just beginning. And a kid did drop a dime. He called Hal Lebovitz at The Plain Dealer. Nobody called the Press. We had the scoop the next morning. To comply with the Ohio High School Athletic Association rules, the Walczuk family moved to an apartment on the Lakewood Gold Coast, within walking distance of St. Ed’s.

At practice that afternoon, guard Dan McNamara nodded toward Walczuk and said, “He’s the key.” It was a magnanimous remark. Walczuk had just taken McNamara’s starting job.

The reason Leo transferred his son was media exposure. Gilmour was not a member of the Ohio High School Athletic Association at that time, which meant it was not part of the state tournament. St. Ed’s, on the other hand, expected to go deep into the playoffs. St. Ed’s won its last two games of the regular season with Walczuk taking his thirty shots and everybody else standing around watching. St. Ed’s was out of sync. The chemistry was wrong. Coach Jim Connors fretted. In the first tournament game, St. Edward, which had a 17-1 record, was upset by Lakewood, a team that had gone 8-10.

The next season was tense. St. Ed’s needed two basketballs—one for Walczuk, another one for everybody else. Connors quit in December saying, “I’ve got a tiger by the tail,” and football coach Joe Paul finished the season. Walczuk got a basketball scholarship to UCLA. His father packed up the family and moved there. Lee hardly ever played. Disillusioned with UCLA coach John Wooden and the preferential treatment accorded stars such as Lew Alcindor, Walczuk quit basketball and became an actor. He married a Polish beauty queen and had a number of children. Lee and his wife live in Hawaii where they have a business as wedding photographers."

Nothing turned out the way it was supposed to except for one thing. I got the story first."

Excerpted from the book Pass the Nuts, copyright © Dan Coughlin. All rights reserved.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:50:53 PM by bball purist »

crgreen

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »

cr and fun, I don't believe either one of you.  I'm going to have to take a trip with my wife to the big island, stay at the wild orchid and ask the man himself what his "story" is....  :2funny:

The other Bruins may have lived the basketball dream life, but I would have no problem living where Walczuk is now :)

Aside to Fun - you don't need to read this if it bothers you so much.

Story will be that even in exhibitions, Lee never saw floor-time with the Bruins top 7 players.  It was a mere fluke he was EVER on the court with Wicks (Wooden was disciplinging Sidney by leaving him in during garbage time).  His Bruin career consisted of 10 game appearances in the '69 season.  He was a woeful 3-17 from the field, and didn't attempt a Free Throw.  He scored 6 pts and pulled down 6 rebounds for his entire career (coulda bee 8pts, but as I say, he fumbled Sids pass).   He spent virtually all his oncourt time with the rest of the scrubs - John Ecker, Terry Schoefield,  Jim Nielson, and Don Saffer (tho to be fair, Schoefield snd Nielson weren't scrubs - Jim was a 6'7 senior post who was coming back from medical redshirt - he was a former starter before Alcindor, but was behind Lew, Steve Patterson, Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe for minutes.  Schoefeild would become a valuable part of the 8 man rotation as a Jr and Sr.), and got the least minutes of ANY of them.

He left because he couldn't get minutes behind John Vallely (#14 pick in the 1970 draft), Lynn Shackleford (3rd team All American), (59-1 with 2 Championships as a starter), Billy Sweek (6th man as a soph on the '67 title team) and Terry Schoefield.  He should have also been behind All American Lucius Allen, but Lucius was caught by campus police with a joint, and was suspended for his entire senior year.  There was talk at the time that for Lucius it would be treated as a redshirt year, and he would return to team with Vallely in 1970. (He elected to graduate and take his chances with the draft.  Did okay, went #3 overall behind Alcindor and Neal Walk.)  Lee left because he thought he'd still be behind Vallely, Allen and Schoefield, plus he was getting his but kicked in in practice by the guards on the UCLA freshman team, who would also be eligible in 1970 - Henry Bibby, Andy Hill, and Rick Betchly, and he knew Wooden had gotten a commitment from JC All America guard Kenny Booker for '70 as well.

I really think that's enuf on this subject... :D

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 06:07:21 PM »
Good. My head is spinning.

Foad

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 06:26:33 PM »
He even acted in film, receiving international acclaim for his role as a Polish holocaust victim in "The Year of the Quiet Son."

I thought the film and Lee were snubbed by the academy that year in not receiving "Best Picture" and "Best Supporting Actor" nominations, respectively.

As usual you are ill informed. Lee was not snubbed by the academy. The (then) communist government of Poland refused to allow the film to be nominated for the Oscars:

"A Year of the Quiet Sun, which won the Golden Lion as the best film at the 1984 Venice Film Festival, was not entered for the Academy Awards, because the Polish government was boycotting the Oscars"

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030706/REVIEWS08/307060301/1023

Good try though. 

Foad

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »
Aside to Fun - you don't need to read this if it bothers you so much.

[...]

He left because he couldn't get minutes behind John VallelyI really think that's enuf on this subject... :D

I'm sure you think that's enough on the subject. If I were you I'd try and forestall further discussion as well. For future reference though you should not tell brazen lies to people who have a full subscription to LexisNexis.

"Midway through his freshman season, Walczuk's appendix burst. He was red-shirted the following season and rejoined the team for the 1968-69 campaign.

Walczuk then suffered an injury to his lower back and was advised by doctors to not risk further permanent injury.

It was a trying time in the life of Walczuk. Discouraged by his injury and somewhat disillusioned by the political turmoil of the Vietnam era, Walczuk left school."

Copyright 1992 Plain Dealer Publishing Co. 
Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio)
December 25, 1992 Friday, FINAL / ALL

Oddd. Nothing about John Vallely. Who to believe? Some dope on the internet with self esteem issues or the newspaper with the largest circulation in Ohio? I'll go with the Plain Dealer and am content to allow the rest of my fans to make their own decisions. Stupid emoticon, smiley face, smiley face, smiley face.