Worst Timeout in the history of basketball

• 29 replies
Worst Timeout in the history of basketball
« on: March 08, 2008, 02:14:16 PM »
I'm sorry why did you call a timeout after Malik made the free throws when WVU had no timeouts? You just gave WVU time to gain composure and for Huggins to draw up a play. Whatever you were going to do you should have said what to do on defense on the timeout before whether Malik made or missed it. Horrible horrible horrible
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Worst Timeout in the history of basketball
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 02:23:53 PM »
I agree, what made it worse is Norm spoke to his coaching staff and not his players during that Timeout.  What good coach would call a timeout in that situation?

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 05:11:04 PM »
its not that bad...its a little helter skelter after made free throws.  Its better to set up the defense   
IMO.  Horne should not have been pressuring so much that he was beat at half court.  And You're supposed to stop the ball.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 05:17:06 PM »
first off WVU had no timeouts so they would have had to rush down the court....you should have set up the defense in the previous timeout there was nothing to discuss besides that instead you allow huggins to draw something up.

In addition to who ever it was should gotten to the sideline quicker to trap not allowing him to split the defense
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:17:55 PM by JJ »

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 05:20:24 PM »
do you really need a time out to set up a trap press?? 

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »
That was just bad D it had nothing to do with the T.O. but why not bring in one of our bigs & sit him in the middle of their lane
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 06:09:52 PM »
our bigs have a tendency to foul..... welcome back kahnight your insight has been missed here

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 06:12:03 PM »
our bigs have a tendency to foul..... welcome back kahnight your insight has been missed here

Who didn't get called for a foul at this game it was ridiculous
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »
first off WVU had no timeouts so they would have had to rush down the court....you should have set up the defense in the previous timeout there was nothing to discuss besides that instead you allow huggins to draw something up.

In addition to who ever it was should gotten to the sideline quicker to trap not allowing him to split the defense

draw up a play?  the guy took it full court just like he would've after the made free throw.  Boothe was the one who tried to step up....the WV kid made a nice play but Horne should have been off him more and Boothe took a bad angle to cut him off. 

I don't think the timeout was that big of a deal.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »
he iso'd the whole side of the court for him

notice no one one wvu was seen....they might have bunched up with the timeout perhaps i am over analyzing but it really didn't help matters. It also gave wvu more time to get composed instead of rushing like a chicken without a head down the court.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »
also they threw the ball while it was out of bounds to the other side of the baseline in case st. john's threw a big man to defend the ball

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
also they threw the ball while it was out of bounds to the other side of the baseline in case st. john's threw a big man to defend the ball

I think your overanalyzing.   One guy got the ball...we can't allow him to take it full court.  TO has nothing to do with it IMO.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 06:37:35 PM »
I just read in the post game quotes now that huggins wanted to get the ball to him on the left hand side. So he did draw that up with the timeout.

Randomhero423

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 06:45:36 PM »
and mentally.  calling a timeout gets WVU focused again.  they prob were panicing when they saw they were losing to ST JOHN'S with 5 seconds remaining. 

mkras99

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:21:16 PM »

draw up a play?  the guy took it full court just like he would've after the made free throw.  Boothe was the one who tried to step up....the WV kid made a nice play but Horne should have been off him more and Boothe took a bad angle to cut him off. 

I don't think the timeout was that big of a deal.

I agree wholeheartedly.

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
looking at the replay again Paris did over commit he got caught flat footed

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »
Norm is horrible. Why call a timeout there????????????
Again as I asked in a previous thread why do we come out of a timeout looking clueless

kjd01067

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 10:25:30 AM »
I don't agree with calling the timeout but it was more bad defense than the timeout.  Keep the damn kid in front of you.  It's Not Norm's fault the kid went coast to coast for a layup.  Someone needed to make the kid change his direction atleast once.  Horne pressured to much, boothe took a bad angle and went for the steal and missed, and mase was to slow rotating for the block.  Bad Defense is what it boils down to.

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 10:28:39 AM »
Bad defense = Bad coaching again

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »
I actually think it was a good time out.  Players are usually excited and dont want to foul. During the time out he should be saying keep your men in front and contest all shots.  He probably did say that but inexperience is a dangerous thing.