Recruiting Ratings

• 46 replies

desco80

Recruiting Ratings
« on: March 24, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
Anybody else feel like this year's Elite 8  more than any other year shows how much pure talent prevails? 

No Senior-full teams, no teams with one star carrying them into the tournament,  No Cinderellas.

Just... oh, I don't know... the best recruits to come out of HS in the last 3 years.   
I think if ever there was a tournament that validated why it's important to have a roster full of 4 and 5 star talents, it's this one. 
What do you think?

Poison

Re: Recruiting Ratings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
Anybody else feel like this year's Elite 8  more than any other year shows how much pure talent prevails? 

No Senior-full teams, no teams with one star carrying them into the tournament,  No Cinderellas.
Just... oh, I don't know... the best recruits to come out of HS in the last 3 years.   
I think if ever there was a tournament that validated why it's important to have a roster full of 4 and 5 star talents, it's this one. 
What do you think?

I agree, and it is equally important to have players that care about the program they have committed to join.

Moose

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »

What do you think?

I agree, and it is equally important to have players that care about the program they have committed to join.

Referring to?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »
UNC Ash beat Syracuse the refs were horrible that game! Ohio U also had UNC on the ropes last night if the Offutt  makes the free throw & again if some questionable calls didn't happen Ohio U wins. Kansas had a couple scares as well.UK didn't really have any slip ups they have been blasting opposing teams giving the most credence to your theory. This tournament showed me  actually the playing field is a lot closer because the talent is more spread out then ever before in NCAA history.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

desco80

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »
UNC Ash beat Syracuse the refs were horrible that game! Ohio U also had UNC on the ropes last night if the Offutt  makes the free throw & again if some questionable calls didn't happen Ohio U wins. Kansas had a couple scares as well.UK didn't really have any slip ups they have been blasting opposing teams giving the most credence to your theory. This tournament showed me  actually the playing field is a lot closer because the talent is more spread out then ever before in NCAA history.

There have been close games, no doubt.   But all 8 of these teams were in the top 12 of the preseason polls.  That's not parity.. that's the halves winning out at the end of the day.      Together these teams own half of the top 20 recruits for each of the last 3 years.   
To me this is a year where teams are winning on talent alone.   There's no team with great chemistry, or experience... just a bunch of teams with High School All-stars turned freshmen and sophomores.     For the most part anyway.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »
your right Desco I can' based my arguments on would of could of should of. Bottom line is all the remaining teams have high touted recruits even the lower ranked seeds in the match ups have top 20 recruits
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 03:52:19 PM »
AKA a boring ass Elite 8.

crgreen

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »

What do you think?

Didn't UNC just ride its Senior Conferene Player of the Year and All American to the Elite 8 with a 20/20 game??

desco80

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »

What do you think?

Didn't UNC just ride its Senior Conferene Player of the Year and All American to the Elite 8 with a 20/20 game??

That they did.  And a few teams start a senior, Tyshawn Taylor, Buford, Kuric, Kris Joseph.    But my point was just this is a very by-the-book Elite 8.
If you wanted you could have taken the recruiting class rankings from '2011 and 2010 and forecasted these teams would still be standing.
 You also could have looked at the preseason rankings and said these these 8 teams more or less would advance.

There are obvious exceptions missing, so my recruiting rankings argument isn't flawlees.... no Duke, or Texas.  But I'm just saying generally there are no Cinderellas from mid majors, or a senior-layden team.  For the most part we have 8 teams of freshmen and sophomores who are former hs all stars.   

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »

What do you think?

Referring to?
Would venture a guess he is referring to Mo who afterall did lead us to a 13-19 record before taking his talents to South Beach oops I mean the NBA.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
I'm referring to the culture of a program, and having players that leave the first chance they get is not a culture that we should be proud of.

boo3

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
I'm referring to the culture of a program, and having players that leave the first chance they get is not a culture that we should be proud of.

We've had one player declare early for the pros in the last 10 years. Let's not get carried away.  Whether you like it or not, this is the way college hoops is now. Every program playing on TV this weekend has to deal with players leaving early for the $$.  It's not the culture of the STJ program, rather the culture of big time college basketball.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
Billy Paultz left early. Broke my heart.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »

We've had one player declare early for the pros in the last 10 years. Let's not get carried away.  Whether you like it or not, this is the way college hoops is now. Every program playing on TV this weekend has to deal with players leaving early for the $$.  It's not the culture of the STJ program, rather the culture of big time college basketball.

Almost all of that is 100% spot on. All except for the part about big time college basketball. If a player that lead his team to 30 wins leaves early, you might not like it, but at least you can say you get it.

When a player leaves that has accomplished nothing, you have to wonder what he was doing here to begin with.

LoganK

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »

Almost all of that is 100% spot on. All except for the part about big time college basketball. If a player that lead his team to 30 wins leaves early, you might not like it, but at least you can say you get it.

When a player leaves that has accomplished nothing, you have to wonder what he was doing here to begin with.

Big East Freshman of the year

desco80

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »

I think most college basketball fans are realistic, the player is here to get himself to the nba.   Winning for us fits into that plan, so I don't really have a problem with it.   The system sucks, but it's not the individual ball player's fault. 

Poison

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »
If he gets drafted, and he's a gigantic success, this will work out for everyone. If he's drafted in the second round, struggles to stay in the league or worse yet ends up in the NBDL or Europe this will make us look undesirable. Like we did from 99-01.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:39:05 PM by Poison »

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »

It is a team game. BE FR of YR means little. You can be player of yr in conf and it does mean you are going to make it in NBA.

crgreen

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 04:55:23 AM »

It is a team game. BE FR of YR means little. You can be player of yr in conf and it does mean you are going to make it in NBA.

Yeah, but BE FOY means your odds are pretty good!   http://orangehoops.org/BigEast/BE_Rookie_of_Year.htm

MCNPA

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:00 AM »
If he gets drafted, and he's a gigantic success, this will work out for everyone. If he's drafted in the second round, struggles to stay in the league or worse yet ends up in the NBDL or Europe this will make us look undesirable. Like we did from 99-01.

This is simply not entirely true.  It can only help us.  If Harkless doesn't get drafted high or goes to a lesser league, the only one to suffer will be Moe.  If that happens, it will be chalked up to the fact that he simply left too early and took bad advice.  It will in no way change the perception of SJU.