Josiah Turner - PG - Arizona Transfer - Sacramento, CA - SMU

• 199 replies

desco80

Re: Josiah Turner - PG - Arizona Transfer - Sacramento, CA
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2012, 02:10:17 AM »
I love DLo. He's not getting drafted.

Youre right.  3/4s of this board will disagree, but he's too small and not athletic enough.  Just look at Scottie Reynolds and Hardy, both BE player of the year type guys, yet they aren't sniffing the nba.

Yup, the NBA is all about athleticism. DLo is going to be a phenomenal college basketball player, but unfortunately is not cut out for the league.

Hope we can all agree to disagree.   BTW, have it on good authority from about 20 different schools message boards (and message board experts are ALWAYS the best barometers!) before the 2008 draft that this fat, slow, short, unathletic center from UCLA was an idiot for coming out early.  This Love kid will never be more than a journeyman if he ever even sniffs the league at all.... :D
Cr, I would never question your knowledge of the facts, but here I think you're missing the context of the debate.  Love is a poor analogy.  For one, he's 6'10; secondly he may have had his doubters but he was widely recognized as about as talented as you can be in the game of basketball; McDonald's all American, Gatorade player of the year in HS, Pac 10 player of the year, and an All American as a fresh, then a top 5 draft pick  after his fresh year.... He's no Dangelo Harrison.

You don't HAVE to be athletic to make it in the league .... There are always exceptions as weve pointed out (eddie house etc) But there's a world of difference between Kevin Love and Harrison.   

LJSA

« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2012, 02:12:27 AM »

Youre right.  3/4s of this board will disagree, but he's too small and not athletic enough.  Just look at Scottie Reynolds and Hardy, both BE player of the year type guys, yet they aren't sniffing the nba.

Yup, the NBA is all about athleticism. DLo is going to be a phenomenal college basketball player, but unfortunately is not cut out for the league.

Hope we can all agree to disagree.   BTW, have it on good authority from about 20 different schools message boards (and message board experts are ALWAYS the best barometers!) before the 2008 draft that this fat, slow, short, unathletic center from UCLA was an idiot for coming out early.  This Love kid will never be more than a journeyman if he ever even sniffs the league at all.... :D

Not saying there aren't exceptions. Love exceeded all expectations. I'm just saying overall the NBA draft takes athleticism over skill for the most part. But Kevin Love is 6'10'' 260lbs. DLo is an undersized scoring 2 guard. He wont get drafted for the same reasons Dwight Hardy didn't get drafted.

Love is 6'10" with three-inch soles.

Well, that's what he is listed at, but I agree he looks shorter.

Just looked up his height from his pre-draft physical: 6'7.75", so I was a little off.

« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:49 AM »
Jesus, you guys are way too tough on a teenager arrested for "suspicion" of DUI by campus police at the school he just publicly announced he was transferring from.  You mean to tell me you guys never drove a single time when you shouldn't have? 

He's under 21, and Arizona has a zero tolerance policy.  Consuming soy sauce could have done the trick...who knows.  Let he who has not driven with even a trace of alcohol in their system cast the first stone. 

Jayson Williams could he his student advisor. Thankfully, Jayson hasn't killed anyone while behind the wheel. Yet.
No JW hires a designated driver and then he shoots and kills them.

desco80

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2012, 02:21:41 AM »

Not saying there aren't exceptions. Love exceeded all expectations. I'm just saying overall the NBA draft takes athleticism over skill for the most part. But Kevin Love is 6'10'' 260lbs. DLo is an undersized scoring 2 guard. He wont get drafted for the same reasons Dwight Hardy didn't get drafted.

Just looked up his height from his pre-draft physical: 6'7.75", so I was a little off.

Definitely shorter than his Topps card says, but even with the criticism that he was short and unathletic... Lovd was a different level talent than D'lo.   

LJSA

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2012, 02:52:56 AM »

Definitely shorter than his Topps card says, but even with the criticism that he was short and unathletic... Lovd was a different level talent than D'lo.   

I'm definitely not arguing that. He's headed toward becoming one of the greatest PFs of all time.

crgreen

« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2012, 02:56:05 AM »

Cr, I would never question your knowledge of the facts, but here I think you're missing the context of the debate.  Love is a poor analogy.  For one, he's 6'10; secondly he may have had his doubters but he was widely recognized as about as talented as you can be in the game of basketball; McDonald's all American, Gatorade player of the year in HS, Pac 10 player of the year, and an All American as a fresh, then a top 5 draft pick  after his fresh year.... He's no Dangelo Harrison.

You don't HAVE to be athletic to make it in the league .... There are always exceptions as weve pointed out (eddie house etc) But there's a world of difference between Kevin Love and Harrison.

I agree a lot will depend on the measurements.  Buckets meaured 6'0 1/4 at the predraft.    St. Johns and Dulles High listed Harrison at 6'3 with shoes, and 202 lbs.   That's Steph Curry, Monte Ellis, Jarryd Bayless, Luther Head, Nolan Smith, Andre Goudelock, Charlie Bell, Eric Gordon size - IF that's the measurement at the combine.   

Harrison averaged 17 pts and shot 37% on 3s last season.   Howver, he closed out the season strong - his last 14 games it was 20.1 pts per game and 42% (44-104).   If he maintains those 2nd half numbers thru next season, I think he will be gone (and with Moe gone, and a year more experience, I expect his output to go up).  I think he's better than Malcolm Lee, the TWolves rookie 2nd rounder from UCLA - who scored less, shot worse from 3, worse from the FT line, and had less assists as  a JUNIOR than D'angelo had as a Frosh...Lee IS 1 inch taller, but almost 10 lbs lighter....Malcolm got a guaranteed contract with the TWolves and is getting about 13 mintues a game off the bench this year.

One question tho.  What the flock are we doing up at this hour???? :)

LJSA

« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2012, 04:33:44 AM »

One question tho.  What the flock are we doing up at this hour???? :)

I'm on the West Coast. The rest of you guys are just freaks discussing basketball at 3 a.m.  ;D

pmg911

« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »
Jayson Williams could he his student advisor. Thankfully, Jayson hasn't killed anyone while behind the wheel. Yet.

Its sad that either of you would bring this up in the context of this thread. Do you feel good about yourselves that you have gotten a laugh from a few people.

Poison

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2012, 07:20:17 AM »

Its sad that either of you would bring this up in the context of this thread. Do you feel good about yourselves that you have
gotten a laugh from a few people.

It's sad that you are sad

« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »
Why is Lavin recruiting Turner if this team is supposedly Jamal Branch's? If Branch is going to be the man, than I'm assuming Greene is the backup? Not a ton of minutes to be had a SG. I think someone is out

Moose

« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:27 AM »
Why is Lavin recruiting Turner if this team is supposedly Jamal Branch's? If Branch is going to be the man, than I'm assuming Greene is the backup? Not a ton of minutes to be had a SG. I think someone is out

If he brought in Turner he would have in 13 two PG's both upperclassmen leading a very talented bunch.  And you wouldn't need a PG until 2015 probably.

But its a moot point because he isn't recruiting him anymore.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:31 AM »
Gotcha thanks. Not sure why he was being brought in in the first place.

Gumby

« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »
Gotcha thanks. Not sure why he was being brought in in the first place.

First off he was one of the best PGs in HS.

Second, he would have given Coach another potentially great PG to run the team.  As you know, many of the top teams have several really good players at the same position.  See CR's many posts on that point.

Third, he has the scoring potential to move over to the SG position.  Thus, giving Coach more scoring options, especially if Harrison leaves after his sophomore year.

Four, if Coach really wanted him, a way would have found, scholarship-wise, like with our discussions over taking in two "Bigs" with only one opening on paper.

But alas, it probably was not meant to be.  Josiah should play some JC ball next season and then possibly play a season at a high college level to see if he can make the NBA.  I still can see some school reaching out for him.

crgreen

« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »

All I can say is:   Lavin with frosh PG Baron Davis and PG Earl Watson, and Penn State starting PG Moose Bailey as a transfer, and SGs Billy Knight, Rico Hines and Todd Ramasar all in the same class back in '98!  :)

Gumby

« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »

All I can say is:   Lavin with frosh PG Baron Davis and PG Earl Watson, and Penn State starting PG Moose Bailey as a transfer, and SGs Billy Knight, Rico Hines and Todd Ramasar all in the same class back in '98!  :)

CR, we at St. John's have felt lucky in the past to have one good player at a position.  The concept of possibly have two good players at a position is still new to us. If we are to ever reach the heights of KU, UK, Duke, even your UCLA, we need a bunch of good players.  We need as much talent as we can get. Let the Coach sort out the playing times for each guy.   

« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »
The whole Harrison/Hardy too small thing is definitely valid. But I feel like Hardy will get some looks this summer.

Also it's too early to tell for Harrison, dude could be one of the best in college basketball, he has one year under his belt. He will have his shot to make it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:48:02 AM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

Poison

« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
The whole Harrison/Hardy too small thing is definitely valid. But I feel like Hardy will get some looks this summer.

Also it's too early to tell for Harrison, dude could be one of the best in college basketball, he has one year under his belt. He will have his shot to make it.

No one is saying that Harrison won't ever play in the league. I think he might. What everyone who knows the game is saying is that he's not a threat to leave early, unless he's absolutely insane.

He could tear it up in the D league after he graduates and get a look from a team that needs a shooter.

sju89tr

« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »
Unfortunately guys like DLo and a Gerry McNamara never really get a sniff. DLo will probably be the career scoring leader at St Johns if he stays 4 years but at his size the NBA wants foot speed which he doesn't have.

sju89tr

« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
Getting back to Turner, can't imagine too many AD's or School Presidents allowing a coach to give him a scholarship at this point. He will likely need to go Juco route for a year and rehab his image first and if he stays clean of trouble, some school is going to get a great player who can step right in and lead them to tourney.     

Marillac

« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
Again, I'm the biggest Harrison fan out there, but Harrison is not just too small...he's also too slow.  I think Wood has a MUCH better chance to play in the NBA if the listed height of 6'5 is accurate.