• 199 replies
Re: Josiah Turner - PG - Arizona Transfer - Sacramento, CA
« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria
22s
Hearing Josiah Turner may land at SMU, sources told @SNYtv

« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2012, 05:58:36 PM »
Unfortunately guys like DLo and a Gerry McNamara never really get a sniff. DLo will probably be the career scoring leader at St Johns if he stays 4 years but at his size the NBA wants foot speed which he doesn't have.

DLo's PT is going to go down significantly this year.  This year will be a true test for him.  Now, if he's not playing well, he could ride the bench.  And he's a hot head, so we'll see how he responds. 

MCNPA

« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »
Unfortunately guys like DLo and a Gerry McNamara never really get a sniff. DLo will probably be the career scoring leader at St Johns if he stays 4 years but at his size the NBA wants foot speed which he doesn't have.

DLo's PT is going to go down significantly this year.  This year will be a true test for him.  Now, if he's not playing well, he could ride the bench.  And he's a hot head, so we'll see how he responds.

D'Lo is an All Big East player and our leader.  Lavin wants him on the court as much as possible.  He'll get more breaks to catch his breath this year, but will still get majority time.

desco80

« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »
Getting back to Turner, can't imagine too many AD's or School Presidents allowing a coach to give him a scholarship at this point. He will likely need to go Juco route for a year and rehab his image first and if he stays clean of trouble, some school is going to get a great player who can step right in and lead them to tourney.   

No way he goes the JUCO route.   I know what you mean - and we might advise OUR program to stay away from him, but there's always somebody out there who will take a chance on a kid this talented.   

.. and apparently Larry Brown is one of those people.

Poison

« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2012, 06:21:17 PM »

DLo's PT is going to go down significantly this year.  This year will be a true test for him.  Now, if he's not playing well, he
could ride the bench.  And he's a hot head, so we'll see how he responds. 

There's no reason for him to play less. Maybe he'll get a breather more often, but I see 32-35 minutes per game. He's the man now. No question about it, this is DLo's team. I think he'll be the BE POY.

MCNPA

« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »

DLo's PT is going to go down significantly this year.  This year will be a true test for him.  Now, if he's not playing well, he
could ride the bench.  And he's a hot head, so we'll see how he responds. 

There's no reason for him to play less. Maybe he'll get a breather more often, but I see 32-35 minutes per game. He's the man now. No question about it, this is DLo's team. I think he'll be the BE POY.

D'Lo is a killer.  This season he has help up front, and on the bench.  Nobody wants D'lo in front of them in opposite colors.

paultzman

« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Josiah Turner Likely Headed to SMU http://t.co/ekEH9qYJ

“@GoodmanCBS: Arizona transfer Josiah Turner plans to visit SMU and Larry Brown on Wednesday, source told CBSSports.”

Josiah not driving!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:06:32 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »
Wow, talk about a statement by brown.  Kick off good kids(from what I read) who are less talented only to bring in a head case with a boat load of talent.  Guys on this board killed Lavin for asking kids to leave and taking chances on kids who had elgibility questions.  Just goes to show you that winning comes first and then there's everything else.  I know this kid is not elgible to play right away so this move is all about winning when they come to big east.  High risk high reward.  Brown like Lavin knows how to win and if it means bringing in guys like turner and Lavin with  Lindsey, sometimes it backfires and if it does these guys know there will be others to help build a winning program.

these coaches want their own players  even if it means the dismissal of kids who want to be at that particular program.

paultzman

« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
Man makes sense!

“@franfraschilla: Would be really surprised if SMU follows though on Josiah Turner transfer after recent troubles at Arizona. Not worth it, IMO.”

crgreen

« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »
Man makes sense!

“@franfraschilla: Would be really surprised if SMU follows though on Josiah Turner transfer after recent troubles at Arizona. Not worth it, IMO.”

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that if Fran actually still HAD a D-1 coaching gig, HE'D be on Turner like a fly on a cow-pattie?

« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »
Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that if Fran actually still HAD a D-1 coaching gig, HE'D be on Turner like a fly on a cow-pattie?
And fighting the head coach of FAU, both of them supremely confident in their leadership skills.  However, I do get the sense that the difference between those two coaches is that Fran looked in the mirror at some point and realized how much better a person he was connected to hoops but not responsible for a won-loss record.

sju89tr

« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »
Man makes sense!

I think more likely a coach on the hot seat is prone to take a risk rather than a new hire. Yes Fran would think long and hard about it

« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »

That's probably only one of the reasons why he hasn't been able to get another job
Good coach but a real knucklehead
Better as a commentator. I like his work on ESPN

jr49

« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »

Nasty to talk about the kid like that. Why you starting trouble?

ras

« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »
We now have a balanced squad, and capable players off the bench. IMO DLO and Sampson are going to get the most PT on the team.

« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2012, 06:12:48 PM »
Like my grams say... when the bluebird lands in your yard, you best not shoo it away.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:13:30 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Like my grams say... when the bluebird lands in your yard, you best not shoo it away.

Haha awesome choz!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Gumby

« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »
We now have a balanced squad, and capable players off the bench. IMO DLO and Sampson are going to get the most PT on the team.

We will be truly balanced once Phil and Michael join our family.

« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2012, 11:16:29 PM »
I love DLo. He's not getting drafted.

Youre right.  3/4s of this board will disagree, but he's too small and not athletic enough.  Just look at Scottie Reynolds and Hardy, both BE player of the year type guys, yet they aren't sniffing the nba.

Yup, the NBA is all about athleticism. DLo is going to be a phenomenal college basketball player, but unfortunately is not cut out for the league.

Hope we can all agree to disagree.   BTW, have it on good authority from about 20 different schools message boards (and message board experts are ALWAYS the best barometers!) before the 2008 draft that this fat, slow, short, unathletic center from UCLA was an idiot for coming out early.  This Love kid will never be more than a journeyman if he ever even sniffs the league at all.... :D

Not saying there aren't exceptions. Love exceeded all expectations. I'm just saying overall the NBA draft takes athleticism over skill for the most part. But Kevin Love is 6'10'' 260lbs. DLo is an undersized scoring 2 guard. He wont get drafted for the same reasons Dwight Hardy didn't get drafted.

Love is 6'10" with three-inch soles.

Well, that's what he is listed at, but I agree he looks shorter.

Just looked up his height from his pre-draft physical: 6'7.75", so I was a little off.
thats with no shoes on, everyone in the nba is listed by their height with shoes
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:22:57 PM by ceothachosen1 »

LJSA

« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »
Still a lie. Do your sneakers add 2.25" to your height?