Bobby Gonzalez

• 37 replies
Bobby Gonzalez
« on: March 11, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/03/big-east-commish-weighs-in.html

Big East commish weighs in
Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese issued a public rebuke to both Rutgers’ coach Freddie Hill and Seton Hall coach Bobby Gonzalez of Seton Hall for what he considered childish, out of control behavior on the sidelines Sunday during the Knights’ 64-61 victory over the Hall at the Prudential Center. “This league started with Dave Gavitt, my predecessor, and the one thing we’ve always taken pride in . . is our teams play hard with a lot of integrity,” Tranghese. “I’m embarrassed about what happened Sunday. I was embarrassed for our conference, our coaches and our schools.

“It’s not going to happen again.”

The North Jersey papers were all over this one, claiming Gonzalez, among other things, charged onto the floor like a wild man at referee Wally Rutecki after J.R. Inman hit a game winning three at the buzzer, then screaming at a senior Hall official to “get out of my face” when he met at the scorer’s table to see if the shot counted; and Hill yanked his hand away at the end of a post game Bill Belichick handshake with his bitter rival. The Big East is reportedly ready to reprimand Gonzalez for criticizing the officiating afterwards.

Expect Tranghese to hit both coaches with some kind of game suspensions.

Just calm down, guys.

You’ve both managed to inject some much-needed passion into this once-dormant in-state rivalry and both of your teams played with the type of intensity that would make any coach proud. Don’t ruin it by trying to upstage the players with a sideline side show

Re: Bobby Gonzalez
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:00:02 AM »
they don't call him gonzo for nothing.  congrats to him for making the BET with an eleventh seed.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »
he wins. plain and simple. SHU knew what they were getting with him.  i would think that all sane st. johns fans would LOVE to have gonzo as their coach.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »
he wins. plain and simple. SHU knew what they were getting with him.  i would think that all sane st. johns fans would LOVE to have gonzo as their coach.

Nice wins against St. John's and Rutgers and I'd have to vote no that I wouldn't want him. I like that he has passion and energy but so does Richard Simmons and how many people respect him for his knowledge of fitness.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »
the man probably thinks hes the generals son.......

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

Call me insane, but I don't want Gonzo anywhere near my team.  Lets see how he does without Louis Orr's boys.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:43:24 PM »
Eugene Harvey seems to be flourishing under Gonzo

Hurley Visited Harvey
Eugene Harvey got a visit Monday from his old coach.

St. Benedict's coach Danny Hurley asked for permission to visit with Harvey at Seton Hall practice in preparation for tonight's Big East Tournament first-round game with Marquette. The two point guards both share the No. 15.

"We talked about how great of a player he should be right now," Hurley said. "He's gotta make the team go. He can't be out there and playing like a robot. He's not your old-school point guard that's not gonna make mistakes. He's a playmaker. You've got to let him go a little bit. When he's going and aggressive and attacking, he's real good. When he's trying to be something he isn't, he's not very good."

Hurley, like everyone else, can't help but notice the drop-off in Harvey's performance in recent weeks. Harvey is averaging 13.3 points and 4.8 assists, but last year he averaged 16.5 points and was in consideration for Rookie of the Year honors.

"He was averaging 16 and 5 assists a month ago," said Hurley, who has six former players competing today at Madison Square Garden, including Villanova frosh Corey Stokes, who lit up Syracuse for 18 points, including four 3-pointers. "They were talking about the NCAA, and a month later, he's a bum?"

Harvey lit up Rutgers for 26 points, 7 assists and 6 rebounds in the first meeting between the two schools, dominating in overtime, yet he managed just 2 assists and 5 points on 1-of-11 shooting in Sunday's 64-61 loss. He also made six turnovers.

"I told him to look back, a month ago at rutgers you had 28 points," Hurley said. "Has Rutgers improved that much since you last saw them?"

Hurley didn't want to call anyone else on Seton Hall, but he did point out that Jamar Nutter was 3-for-15 from the field and Brian Laing was 5-for-16.

"If you look at a lot of their guys, shooting percentages aren't particularly good," Hurley said. "He was one of a couple guys that didn't come through for them. He's gotten a lot of the focus and the blame and unfortunately from experience, guards get blamed."

After the talk, Hurley hopes Harvey comes out differently tonight.

"I'm hoping he'll just be himself, be more aggressive," Hurley said. "He's a playmaker and he needs to get back to being aggressive and attacking and making plays."

Randomhero423

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »
wonder if anyone from st benedicts will be attending shu anytime soon...

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 07:21:33 PM »
yes jj, his team did lose those 2 awful gams. but hes gotten his team in the big east tourny while actually playing real basketball and not holding the ball for a full 35 second shot clock like norm had to do last year.  he also has had lance stephenson and tyreke evans on campus for visits.  can we say the same thing for norm?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 07:32:50 PM »
bobby g's one guy i wouldn't want over norm.  he'd embarrass stj and he's not that huge of a step up. 

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
losing by 30 or more on national tv isn't embarassing the university?

Randomhero423

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 08:10:20 PM »
at least he's got the kids in the classroom getting the highest gpa a stj bball team ever had.  gonzo is having mediocre success and acting like a fool. 

now if the question was sampson (before being caught this year) or norm. i'd pick sampson.  easy.   

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 07:49:52 AM »
This gets better every day

http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/03/gonzo-on-tran-1.html#more

When pressed yet again to comment on what Tranghese had to say and on any potential penalties that might come out of it, Gonzalez said:

"I don't know anything about it...I have nothing to say. I have no comment.

"Do me a favor, write about the fact that we're the only team in the metropolitan area that made it to the Big East tournament and had a winning season. And I have not seen that written by one writer in the metropolitan area.

"That would be nice if somebody wrote that. Not for me, for my players."

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »
This gets better every day

http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/03/gonzo-on-tran-1.html#more

When pressed yet again to comment on what Tranghese had to say and on any potential penalties that might come out of it, Gonzalez said:

"I don't know anything about it...I have nothing to say. I have no comment.

"Do me a favor, write about the fact that we're the only team in the metropolitan area that made it to the Big East tournament and had a winning season. And I have not seen that written by one writer in the metropolitan area.

"That would be nice if somebody wrote that. Not for me, for my players."

Or maybe they can write about how he couldn't beat either metropolitan Big East team or that Seton Hall went 2-9 in their last 11 games. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 09:07:21 AM »
this team really folded down the stretch...misery loves company.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:00:25 AM by NYCbuckeye »

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »
gonzo is recruiting with that quote. thats just a recruiting tactic.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 10:00:51 AM »
gonzo is recruiting with that quote. thats just a recruiting tactic.

i was referring to SH..but...i guess SJU falls in that category as well.

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »
i was talking about the quote that baldi posted when gonzo said "talk about how we're the only metro-area team in the BET".

gonzo is far and away a better coach and recruiter than norm IMO. oh, but he doesnt give overly politically-correct press conferences like norm so why would sju want him?

kjd01067

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 10:40:09 AM »
Not arguing that Norm is a better coach or recruiter but who won the game ?  Gonzo should shut his mouth cause any way you slice it he lost to us and Rutgers this year.  Negative recruiting most of the time doesnt work.  I know when schools were looking at me for football I hated it when they bashed another program.  Whats the point of bashing another program?  I would rather have kids at STJ that want to be here not because Norm tells some kid that he shouldnt play for SH because Gonzo forgets to take his pills.

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 09:46:47 PM »
its foolish to even put norm in the same class as gonzo, in his first year gonzo brought in harvey and laing with very little time to recruit. they play a style of basketball that kids want to play in. when your opponents hate u its a good thing, unlike norm who the whole conference loves. u wanna call gonzo a clown by the way he acts on the sideline? i call that someone who is hungry and has a chip on his shoulder.