Bobby Gonzalez

• 37 replies

kjd01067

Re: Bobby Gonzalez
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »
its foolish to even put norm in the same class as gonzo, in his first year gonzo brought in harvey and laing with very little time to recruit. they play a style of basketball that kids want to play in. when your opponents hate u its a good thing, unlike norm who the whole conference loves. u wanna call gonzo a clown by the way he acts on the sideline? i call that someone who is hungry and has a chip on his shoulder.

I with out a doubt agree with you that Bobby G is a better recruiter and coach.  But I dont think acting like a pyscho on the sideline shows he is hungry or he has a chip on his shoulder.  I think it shows he has a short temper and is a liability when it comes to getting T'd up.  If you saw the STJ v. SH game you would have seen a coach that could have recieved a few technicals in the final minutes if it werent for gracious refs.  Bobby G is a cry baby and a complainer.  He might be a better coach but I wouldnt want him or Norm as the coach of my team.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »
he wins. plain and simple. SHU knew what they were getting with him.  i would think that all sane st. johns fans would LOVE to have gonzo as their coach.

The Hall collapsed at the end of the season. We already have a coach who chokes every year.

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 11:09:21 PM »
its foolish to even put norm in the same class as gonzo, in his first year gonzo brought in harvey and laing with very little time to recruit. they play a style of basketball that kids want to play in. when your opponents hate u its a good thing, unlike norm who the whole conference loves. u wanna call gonzo a clown by the way he acts on the sideline? i call that someone who is hungry and has a chip on his shoulder.

He didnt bring in B Laing. That on Louis Orr. He brought in Nu Nu and Larry Davis. Nu Nu is down no doubt, but Larry is straight up strugglin.   

As fo his recruitin gems. Who else sides Hazell? And it wudn't like he was takin on a 'gram wit sanctions. They was an NCAA team.

C'mon now. Know y'all down wit coach and they is reasons. But no need to elevate someone who aint done nuthin. C'mon now.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Randomhero423

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 11:35:15 PM »
how about his post game quotes?  does that show he's hungry too?  the guy is a fool.

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 01:27:33 AM »
more good press for Gonzo....
http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/politi/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/120538672797880.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

ranghese opened the league's awards banquet on Tuesday using the word "embarrassed" four times to describe the on-court behavior of Gonzalez and Rutgers coach Fred Hill Jr., promising to take action within two weeks -- and that the ugliness would never happen again.

Think about that: The conference commissioner, in a room filled with players and their families waiting to get their trophies for a season well done, spent 90 seconds ripping what happened at a game between two teams that were an afterthought in the standings.

Observers were stunned.

"It's not the way a game is supposed to be conducted," Tranghese said yesterday afternoon in a quiet moment at Madison Square Garden. "It wasn't good. Anybody who was there knows that. We have a certain level of expectations from our coaches and our players."

Joe Quinlan, the Seton Hall athletic director, is meticulously keeping track of everything. According to three people familiar with the program, who asked not to be identified while discussing internal affairs, Quinlan recently sent Gonzalez a letter admonishing him for driving the wrong way down one-way streets around the South Orange campus.

The letter speaks volumes about the relationship between the coach and his direct supervisor. Quinlan, as straight-laced and button-down as they come, is the polar opposite from the coach who his fate as athletic director is now tied to. He is the one left apologizing for each Gonzalez transgression.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

sjd8886

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 02:15:34 AM »
losing by 30 or more on national tv isn't embarassing the university?

sadly, no, not anymore

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 01:27:33 PM »
http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/politi/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/120538672797880.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

ranghese opened the league's awards banquet on Tuesday using the word "embarrassed" four times to describe the on-court behavior of Gonzalez and Rutgers coach Fred Hill Jr., promising to take action within two weeks -- and that the ugliness would never happen again.

Think about that: The conference commissioner, in a room filled with players and their families waiting to get their trophies for a season well done, spent 90 seconds ripping what happened at a game between two teams that were an afterthought in the standings.

Observers were stunned.

"It's not the way a game is supposed to be conducted," Tranghese said yesterday afternoon in a quiet moment at Madison Square Garden. "It wasn't good. Anybody who was there knows that. We have a certain level of expectations from our coaches and our players."

Joe Quinlan, the Seton Hall athletic director, is meticulously keeping track of everything. According to three people familiar with the program, who asked not to be identified while discussing internal affairs, Quinlan recently sent Gonzalez a letter admonishing him for driving the wrong way down one-way streets around the South Orange campus.

The letter speaks volumes about the relationship between the coach and his direct supervisor. Quinlan, as straight-laced and button-down as they come, is the polar opposite from the coach who his fate as athletic director is now tied to. He is the one left apologizing for each Gonzalez transgression.

this doesnt sound good for SHU. it seems like the school and AD want 2 different things here.  the AD is squeaky clean and doesnt want gonzo to breathe incorrectly while the school and its boosters were fed up with having mediocre teams.  seems like theyre on different pages
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »

Observers were stunned.

this doesnt sound good for SHU. it seems like the school and AD want 2 different things here.  the AD is squeaky clean and doesnt want gonzo to breathe incorrectly while the school and its boosters were fed up with having mediocre teams.  seems like theyre on different pages

So because the AD doesn't want Gonzo to make a mockery out of the school with his antics means he doesn't want to win?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 02:04:53 PM »
Jim Boeheim to talk to Gonzalez about his antics. HAHA- maybe they should put a dunce hat on Gonzo
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Gonzo_in_need_of_a_schooling_from_Boeheim.html?c=y&page=1
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:14:06 PM by Marco Baldi »

Randomhero423

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 02:09:42 PM »
that'd be great reality show.  boeheim has gonzo's tutor. 

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 01:20:37 AM »

Observers were stunned.

So because the AD doesn't want Gonzo to make a mockery out of the school with his antics means he doesn't want to win?

they knew what they were getting with him. if he wanted the straight and narrow, they couldve extended louis orr's contract. but i mean to get on him about driving the wrong way down a 1 way street on a 5 mph road on the SHU campus? this is really not a good AD-coach matchup.  i honestly dont see what he did on the court against rutgers to be a big deal.  he gave his opinion in the post-game press conference and to me there is nothing wrong with that.  could he have handled himself better? absolutely, but i realy dont view this as a big deal.

to me, if the thing with gonzo getting into a fist fight with adubato during a game is true, then that is a much bigger deal than a handshake with fred hill or yelling at an SHU admin with an overtime on the line or giving his opinion on officiating during the postgame presser.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

kjd01067

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 08:09:45 AM »

they knew what they were getting with him. if he wanted the straight and narrow, they couldve extended louis orr's contract. but i mean to get on him about driving the wrong way down a 1 way street on a 5 mph road on the SHU campus? this is really not a good AD-coach matchup.  i honestly dont see what he did on the court against rutgers to be a big deal.  he gave his opinion in the post-game press conference and to me there is nothing wrong with that.  could he have handled himself better? absolutely, but i realy dont view this as a big deal.

to me, if the thing with gonzo getting into a fist fight with adubato during a game is true, then that is a much bigger deal than a handshake with fred hill or yelling at an SHU admin with an overtime on the line or giving his opinion on officiating during the postgame presser.

Im sure there is alot more to the story than any of us know.  I was a fan of Bobby G when he was at Manhatten but after his statements about St. Johns I think he is one of the biggest Jerks in coaching.

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »

He didnt bring in B Laing. That on Louis Orr. He brought in Nu Nu and Larry Davis. Nu Nu is down no doubt, but Larry is straight up strugglin.  

As fo his recruitin gems. Who else sides Hazell? And it wudn't like he was takin on a 'gram wit sanctions. They was an NCAA team.

C'mon now. Know y'all down wit coach and they is reasons. But no need to elevate someone who aint done nuthin. C'mon now.
He does have Theodore coming in next year.

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »

He does have Theodore coming in next year.

He also had Mike Glover coming in last year

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 06:42:51 AM »
Gonzo is a jerk pure and simple. He can stay at SHU. He is one guy that I would not want coaching us.
The huge meltdown will be coming next year. Amazing SHU has already suspended him for the first BE game 
What an ass

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »
surprised this wasnt posted yesterday......if it was, i apologize.

Pirates' Gonzalez suspended a game for criticizing officials

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Seton Hall basketball coach Bobby Gonzalez was suspended by the university for next season's first Big East Conference game for criticizing the officiating after a loss to Rutgers in the regular-season finale.

Athletic director Joe Quinlan called Gonzalez's conduct on March 9 "unacceptable" and "not representative" of Seton Hall sports. The school said he failed to comply with university and conference policies.

"The Big East provides the best roster of game officials for our students in the country," Quinlan added in statement Wednesday. "They represent the game and the conference with great integrity and dignity. We regret any embarrassment this episode may have brought to the Big East and our fellow institutions."

Gonzalez wasn't immediately available for comment.

The fiery coach led the Pirates to a 17-15 mark in his second season at the South Orange school. Seton Hall lost in the first round of the conference tournament to No. 25 Marquette 67-54. The Pirates were 13-16 in Gonzalez's first season.

Seton Hall was offered an invitation to play in the inaugural College Basketball Invitational Tournament on Sunday, but the school turned it down.

"We just elected not to participate in that tournament," Quinlan said at the time. "I think that we looked at all the variables and just decided we were not going to play."

Whether Gonzalez's pending suspension played at part in that decision was not immediately clear on Wednesday.

Gonzalez, who seemingly has been at odds with Quinlan at times during his short tenure, got himself into trouble both during and after the Rutgers' game, which the Scarlet Knights won 64-61 on a last-second 3-pointer by JR Inman.

Gonzalez was called for a technical foul by official Wally Rutecki with 7:25 to play after jumping out of his seat to argue a traveling violation against senior Brian Laing with the Pirates down a point.

After the game ended, Gonzalez ran on the court to demand that Rutecki and fellow officials Jim Burr and John Cahill review Inman's game-winning shot to make sure it was before the buzzer.

A Seton Hall associate athletic director ran on the court to hold Gonzalez back.

The replay clearly showed the shot was good.

However, Gonzalez was still miffed at Rutecki after the game.

"I just thought there was a specific official that took over all the big calls," Gonzalez said. "I thought there were veteran officials that are Final Four refs that are on the game, and those guys are as good as you get. ... And there was another person that, you know, quite honestly ... he gave a quick tech to me."

Gonzalez also was angry that the officials did not call Rutgers coach Fred Hill for a technical for leaving the coach's box to complain about a call that went against the Scarlet Knights.

"If you're going to do that to me, if somebody jumps and runs out of the box and starts screaming and going berserk, then do that to them. What's fair is fair," Gonzalez said at the time.

Gonzalez and Hill also seemed to be at odds after the game, and their post-game meeting looked anything but friendly.

Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese was critical of both coaches at the conference's awards dinner two days after the game.

"I'm embarrassed about what happened Sunday. I was embarrassed for our conference, our coaches and our schools. It's not going to happen again," he said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 10:57:19 PM »
quote of the article>>>>>

"Seton Hall was offered an invitation to play in the inaugural College Basketball Invitational Tournament on Sunday, but the school turned it down."

way to punish the players for the transgressions of the coach.  the school should have accepted and punished gonzo by telling him to stay home for the first game.

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 12:01:41 AM »
quote of the article>>>>>

"Seton Hall was offered an invitation to play in the inaugural College Basketball Invitational Tournament on Sunday, but the school turned it down."

way to punish the players for the transgressions of the coach.  the school should have accepted and punished gonzo by telling him to stay home for the first game.

I didn't read it but did it say it was the AD's decision? Gonzo's ego was insulted playing at CA which makes me believe he would also be insulted to play at the CBI but this time he had a choice.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle