Battle for minutes at the wing positions.

• 37 replies
Battle for minutes at the wing positions.
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »
Assuming we are able to get Chandler (fingers crossed and knocking on wood), for at least the first half of the season, we should have a nice battle for minutes at SG and SF. The reason why I say this is because Harrison will most likely be the PG when Greene is on the bench. That being said, out of Pointer, Garrett, Wood, etc., what's everyones prediction for who gets the minutes?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:42:38 PM by Johnny4Life »

ras

Re: Battle for minutes at the wing positions.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
Harrison and Sampson will play the most minutes. Obviously the 2nd half of the year Branch and Greene will play the PG. It is hard to discuss battle for minutes because we do not Know if Chandler and Wood will be here next year.As of now , not counting Chandler . I see Orlando starting the 5 w Gift off the bench.

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
Assuming we are able to get Chandler (fingers crossed and knocking on wood), for at least the first half of the season, we should have a nice battle for minutes at SG and SF. The reason why I say this is because Harrison will most likely be the PG when Greene is on the bench. That being said, out of Pointer, Garrett, Wood, etc., what's everyones prediction for who gets the minutes?

When Branch is eligible, I expect he and Greene to get lion's share of PG minutes, not Harrison.  Right now Darrick Wood is not yet eligible, so it is hard to say.  Harrison will share time with Greene as the primary PG/SG backup.  Bourgault and Balamou should also get time at SG.  I suspect Bourgault will be more game-ready to jump into the offense and produce.  IF we do get Wood and Chandler eligible. We will have 10 guys getting quite a bit of time.

Rotationally, I think the guys that will get most time are D'Lo, Jakarr, Amir, Sanchez, Chandler?, Greene, pointer, Branch, and Gift.  5 starters and 4 guys getting a lot of time working in at different spots.  Just can't keep players like Pointer and Greene off the court.  They do too many things.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:36:48 PM by MCNPA »

LJSA

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
Sanchez/Achiuwa
Sampson/Pointer
Garrett/Bourgault^
Harrison/*Balamou
Branch/Greene

*I do see Greene getting backup minutes over Balamou (although Balamou may get a world of experience while Branch sits first semester and bull his way into what six months prior appeared to have been Greene's minutes in a three-guard backcourt rotation).

^Assuming Garrett starts, I see Pointer getting backup minutes over Bourgault at SF. You can swap Garrett and Pointer if you'd like, but I think the same scenario unfolds.

Ten-man team, eight-man core rotation. If Chandler and Wood make it, scrap this all. Some players will be unhappy with minutes, but we worry about that after next season.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:08:05 PM »
Went a bit off topic from what I originally intended. I should of asked, what do you think the rotation will be prior to Branch being able to play?

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
Prior to Branch becoming eligible, and ill assume we dont have wood, I see..

Phil at the point, and only the point. 25-30 a game
Deangelo at the 2 and backing up the point 30+ min a game
Amir at the 3 and some at the 4  20-25 a game
Jakarr at the 4 and 5  30 min a game
Sanchez at the 4 and 5 25-30 a game

pointer at the 2-4 20-25 a game
bourgoult at the 2-3 15 a game
gift at the 4-5 20-25 a game
balamou at the 2-3 5-10 a game

When branch becomes eligible I see him getting around 25 minutes with everyone aside from Deangelo and Jakarr losing minutes

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »

When branch becomes eligible I see him getting around 25 minutes with everyone aside from Deangelo and Jakarr losing minutes

If GG is playing 20-25 mpg we are in deep trouble.  Before Branch is ready--and assuming Wood isn't eligible--I think the trio of Harrison, Greene, and Garrett will hardly leave the floor--with Dom just a few minutes behind.  I see Sanchez and Sampson around 20 mpg a piece for the first few months, with a litle more to the player that shows an understanding of the zone first.  GG needs to be no more than 10 to 15 mpg after the first month of the season.  I'm interested in seeing if Bourgault can play some four in the zone.  That would really make us dangerous on the other end. 

Wood's eligibility mixes things up quite a bit.   

Moose

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »

If GG is playing 20-25 mpg we are in deep trouble.  Before Branch is ready--and assuming Wood isn't eligible--I think the trio of Harrison, Greene, and Garrett will hardly leave the floor--with Dom just a few minutes behind.  I see Sanchez and Sampson around 20 mpg a piece for the first few months, with a litle more to the player that shows an understanding of the zone first.  GG needs to be no more than 10 to 15 mpg after the first month of the season.  I'm interested in seeing if Bourgault can play some four in the zone.  That would really make us dangerous on the other end. 

Marco playing 4 in the zone????
Oy vey.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »

Oy vey.

He played forward in Monroe's 2-3 zone. Not very different in terms of defensive responsiblity if you think about it.  He's about the same height as Brownlee, Polee, Pointer, and Garrett. 

Moose

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »

Oy vey.

He played forward in Monroe's 2-3 zone. Not very different in terms of defensive responsiblity if you think about it.  He's about the same height as Brownlee, Polee, Pointer, and Garrett. 

Sorry man but if he's playing minutes at our 4 in the zone or whatever we're in trouble.
And while he's listed at 6'6 how can you say he's the same height as Brownlee, Polee, Pointer and Amir?  Gotta see them all on the court next to eachother to make that kind of determination.  The two complete games I saw and minimal other video show Marco playing a 'smaller' game than any of those 4 mention and also comparative to his height.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »

You could be right about Gift Marillac, he could easily play less than that, he could also come back a much improved player. I dont think theres anyway however that  Jakarr and Sanchez combine for only 40 minutes a game.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »

Oy vey.

Sorry man but if he's playing minutes at our 4 in the zone or whatever we're in trouble.
And while he's listed at 6'6 how can you say he's the same height as Brownlee, Polee, Pointer and Amir?  Gotta see them all on the court next to eachother to make that kind of determination.  The two complete games I saw and minimal other video show Marco playing a 'smaller' game than any of those 4 mention and also comparative to his height.

We'll never see them all on the floor, so we'll have to take the listed heights.  I don't think anyone is actually their listed height...Brownlee looked 6'5 to most on this board.  Polee was listed at 6'7 and he was 18 years old and started at 190 pounds.  Bourgault is already 22,  has a year of prep and two years of college, he's heavier and he's played down low in a 2-3 zone. 

I'm not saying he can definitely do it, but against smaller teams maybe he can?  There is almost no difference between the three and four spots in a 2-3 zone and  you have the same kind of range in our matchup. 

Moose

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »

Oy vey.

We'll never see them all on the floor, so we'll have to take the listed heights.  I don't think anyone is actually their listed height...Brownlee looked 6'5 to most on this board.  Polee was listed at 6'7 and he was 18 years old and started at 190 pounds.  Bourgault is already 22,  has a year of prep and two years of college, he's heavier and he's played down low in a 2-3 zone. 

I'm not saying he can definitely do it, but against smaller teams maybe he can?  There is almost no difference between the three and four spots in a 2-3 zone and  you have the same kind of range in our matchup. 

Brownlee looked 6'5?
Can I get a straw poll going on this :)

There hasn't been a difference with that zone in the past but now we have some damn length for the first time in a while.  Sorry but I'd rather see Orlando, Karr, Amir and Chandler hopefully manning the bottom three spots. 

ras

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 05:29:52 PM »
I see karr playing a min of 30 min a game , unless we get MC or CO.

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
The one thing I agree with here is that Gift won't see as much time as 20-30 per game.  I like Gift as a player.  He's string and he can help us for sure next year.  I just think that there will be a lot of kids that will need minutes and he will lose some to guys like Sanchez and our wings as we will go with a smaller type lineup more often.  Sanchez is taller than Gift and more versatile.  Gift will see time, but more in the 8-10 minutes per game role I think.

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »
FWIW Gift played 30 mins or more in 15 of the first 19 games last year.  1 out of the last 13.  He averaged 24 mins per game over that span.  Those numbers are going to go down further with the new found depth.  Jakarr will get most of Moe's minutes with Sanchez getting the balance and some of Gifts.  And that's not counting another big man joining the roster.  He can still make a contribution at 15-18 mins per game and will certainly be a valuable player next year.

ras

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 05:33:57 PM »
If we dont get anymore bigs, I see Gift getting descent PT. He wont start, but as of now ,we still dont have much depth at the 4,5 positions. Of course Dom and Amir will play some 4 also.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:53 AM »
The one thing I can't see is Amir bulking up enough to play the 4. Especially since that would work against him as a pitcher.

desco80

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »
Well, it looks like we might finally have the recruiting class wrapped up.   Although Wood and Chandler are still on the radar... I think we can rejuvenate this  thread because we finally have an idea of what the roster will look like.

So do you guys think Obekpa automatically jumps into the starting lineup as our "5" ? 
I tend to think he'll be penciled in as the starting center, but will certainly have to earn it in the fall.   

I wouldn't be shocked if coach starts the season with a "small" lineup of something like:  Sanchez, Sampson, Amir, D'angelo, and Phil. 
 Or even Sanchez, Sampson, Amir, Dom, and D'angelo.

But.. my point being, does Chris O automatically get put into the starting 5 ??   I tend to think he might get in there by the conference play, but he'll have some learning to do first.

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Well, it looks like we might finally have the recruiting class wrapped up.   Although Wood and Chandler are still on the radar... I think we can rejuvenate this  thread because we finally have an idea of what the roster will look like.

So do you guys think Obekpa automatically jumps into the starting lineup as our "5" ? 
I tend to think he'll be penciled in as the starting center, but will certainly have to earn it in the fall.   

I wouldn't be shocked if coach starts the season with a "small" lineup of something like:  Sanchez, Sampson, Amir, D'angelo, and Phil. 
 Or even Sanchez, Sampson, Amir, Dom, and D'angelo.

But.. my point being, does Chris O automatically get put into the starting 5 ??   I tend to think he might get in there by the conference play, but he'll have some learning to do first.

I would say no. Chris O will not be our starting center on opening night.