Who's the Fifth Starter?

• 33 replies

Tha Kid

Who's the Fifth Starter?
« on: June 11, 2012, 06:46:42 PM »
The way I see it:

PG -- Greene until December, and then Branch (or maybe still Greene, depending) starting in December
SG -- Harrison
C -- Obekpa

Then you have Sampson definitely starting, at either the 3 or the 4.

So the question is who among Pointer, Garrett, and Sanchez is the 5th starter?  I imagine it may vary by team, but I think you'll see Dom start --- go with strong defense.  Garrett off the bench with some offense and energy, as well as Sanchez for some inside scoring.

"I drink and I know things"

Moose

Re: Who's the Fifth Starter?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »
The way I see it:

PG -- Greene until December, and then Branch (or maybe still Greene, depending) starting in December
SG -- Harrison
C -- Obekpa

So the question is who among Pointer, Garrett, and Sanchez is the 5th starter?  I imagine it may vary by team, but I think you'll see Dom start --- go with strong defense.  Garrett off the bench with some offense and energy, as well as Sanchez for some inside scoring.

Honestly I'd like to see Sanchez, Jakarr, Greene, Harrison and then either Dom/Amir.  But like you said all depends on match ups.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
no way does obekpa start. this team is offensively challenged.  here's how i see it:

Green
Harrison
Amir
JKS
Sanchez

1st off bench
Dom

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »
no way does obekpa start. this team is offensively challenged.  here's how i see it:

Green
Harrison
Amir
JKS
Sanchez

1st off bench
Dom

and to add, i wouldn't dismiss Greene being our permanent PG starter. i see a very bright future for him. I think he'll be most improved.

desco80

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »

Green
Harrison
Amir
JKS
Sanchez

1st off bench
Dom

Yup.   
That's why the guys who play efficiently (make their foul shots and don't turn the ball over)   are going to get a lot of run.    They have to for us to keep up if the score is above 60.
Plus, I expect Dom and Amir to be much more aggressive offensively this year.   Hopefully they have that confidence and a little more touch on their jumpshots. 

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
Who are the five you want at the end of the game?

Branch
Harrison
Amir
JaKarr
?

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 08:44:35 PM »
Who are the five you want at the end of the game?

Branch
Harrison
Amir
JaKarr
?

Depends on what we need.  If we need to make shots, I'm sure Bourgault will hit the floor.  He's an excellent shooter and crafty offensive player.  Defense requires guys like Amir, Dom etc...

boo3

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »
 Greene
 Harrison
 Pointer
 Jakarr
Sanchez

Amir and Obekpa first forwards off bench. felix first guard until Branch returns.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 09:27:28 PM »

Green
Harrison
Amir
JKS
Sanchez

1st off bench
Dom

and to add, i wouldn't dismiss Greene being our permanent PG starter. i see a very bright future for him. I think he'll be most improved.

I like Greene, but if he's starting in Decenber after Branch is eligible to play its because he's improved greatly or because Branch isn't ready yet. Branch, from what I've seen is a pass first point. Greene showed potential in many ways, but he's a two guard who gained valuable experience playing out of position.

desco80

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
Greene
 Harrison
 Pointer
 Jakarr
Sanchez

Amir and Obekpa first forwards off bench. felix first guard until Branch returns.

Good call Boo.   Felix is easy to forget about in this rotation.. but he could surprise.   Especially early when we don't have as much depth at guard.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:39:24 PM by desco80 »

redslope

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:57 PM »
As to starters, he who practices best starts; therefore, practices/intersquad games could be very interesting.  might be willing to pay to see one!

Poison

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 10:01:30 PM »
In order to start or to get serious burn, Garrett and Pointer need to work on their handle and on their jumper. It doesn't have to be just 3 point shooting, they can add a ten footer and it would improve their games tremendously.

desco80

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 11:08:06 PM »
In order to start or to get serious burn, Garrett and Pointer need to work on their handle and on their jumper. It doesn't have to be just 3 point shooting, they can add a ten footer and it would improve their games tremendously.

Definitely.   If both of them take a step up offensively this year, we'll be a force in the conference.
But one of them has to start, my money is on Amir.   I know he's playing baseball, but he had a knack for knowing where to go with the ball on offense.
I really like his play a lot.  Just hope that jumper improves.   Like you said, doesn't even have to be a long range bomber... just be consistent out to 15-17 feet. 

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »
My guess would be

Greene (Branch)
Harrison
Garrett
Sampson
Sanchez

Cant forget about Gift though

crgreen

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:50:07 AM »
The way I see it:

SG -- Harrison
C -- Obekpa

This is a healthy Steve Lavin on the sidelines we're talking about.   The lineup won't be set at any position (except perhaps SG) until practice is done in November, and THAT will be just for the FIRST game.   As he has for his entire career, Steve will use the season's opening games to try different starting lineups, different player combinations, different substitution patterns.  The starting lineup won't be set till probably game 7 or 8 - and then may change again when (and if) Branch proves ready.   A starting frontcourt of Gift, Sanchez and Sampson wouldn't suprise me.  Nor would Obekpa, Sampson Garrett.   Nor even Sanchez, Garrett, Pointer.   Or obviously any combination.    I think the best players will play (and start) - that could even mean Branch, D'lo, Dom, Amir and Sampson.

It's a fun fanboard exercise, but in the real world, really a moot issue till mid November, possibly even to mid December. 

I'm just trying to remind that Steve doesn't always play by the same rule book other coaches do.   For example, Sean Farnham starting over Dan Gadzuric at UCLA - tho Sean was a career 3rd string scrub who only averaged 6 minutes a game, and Dan 25.   Lavin once got so tired of the media questions as to why, that he jokingly said it was because Sean was his "good luck charm" - of such things myths are born.  that statement was made only after he'd answered the question with the actual answer several hundred times - that is that Gadz as a frosh/soph got so hyper at the start of games, that he was constanatly getting into foul trouble in the first 5 minutes - 2 and even 3 fouls - he actually fouled on the opening tip 3 times at the start of his frosh year.   UCLA's backup center was Jerome Moiso, but he was also the STARTING PF.  So Lavin started 3rd string center Farnham, let him play the first 5 minutes, let Dan calm down on the bench, see how other team was playing the post, and how the refs were calling the game, THEN come in.   And thus getting 10-15 minutes in the first half from him, rather than the 5 or less they got when he started and picked up those quick fouls.    Of course, as said in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance",  "This is the west, Sir.  When Legend becomes Fact, print the Legend".  So Lav became an incompetent who relied on "good luck charms".  :)    Similarly, he would play the worst shooter in UCLA history (Rico)  in the regular rotation at SF AHEAD of a Soph Matt Barnes, or a Dijon Thompson  or at SG ahead of McD AA Ray Young - Legend is solely because Rico was his "pet" (there's a thread on the Bruin board just Yesterday that Rico is the greatest waste of 5 years of scholarship in Bruin history) --- but the real reason was because +/- stats showed that Rico had the 2nd higest +/- on the team for his final 2 years (2nd to Jason Kapono) - both years advancing to the Sweet 16.  (For those that don't know the +/- stat, its very simply, how does your team do while you're on the floor.   If you play 10 minutes, and during those 10 minutes your team scores 20 pts and your opponents score 15, you have a +5 for hat game.   Your team scores 20, opponens score 23, you have a -3.    How in the world could you NOT play the guy with the 2nd best +/- on your team???

So (back to this season) the strongest offensive player COULD be beaten out by the better defensive player.  The better defensive player COULD be beaten out by the better offensive player.   Or there COULD well be a player or two who's intangibles outweigh the common logic (Greene?  Ballamou?  Bourgalt?)...If you think back 2 years, we saw plenty of examples of that in Steves first season here....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:57:25 AM by crgreen »

Poison

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »
Branch, Greene
Harrison, Balamou
Sampson, Pointer, Garrett
Sanchez, Sampson
Obekpa, Gift

Gift has a lot of work to do, or Lavin can hand him Jasuloines' towel to wave.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »
Branch, Greene
Harrison, Balamou
Sampson, Pointer, Garrett
Sanchez, Sampson
Obekpa, Gift

Gift has a lot of work to do, or Lavin can hand him Jasuloines' towel to wave.

Its the Abe Keita towel.  He made it famous.  Or was it infamous?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »
11 man rotation?

desco80

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 08:44:46 AM »
I've said it before, I know Lavin is open to multiple lineup combinations, and everyone who says practices will determine who plays is probably right, but ... if they didn't want to giv Gift major minutes when we only had 6 scholarship players and were being out rebounded by such a wide margin; then there's no way he gets those kind of minutes this year when we have reinforcements.
Not a knock on GG, he plays hard and represents the school well. 

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 08:49:17 AM »
I've said it before, I know Lavin is open to multiple lineup combinations, and everyone who says practices will determine who plays is probably right, but ... if they didn't want to giv Gift major minutes when we only had 6 scholarship players and were being out rebounded by such a wide margin; then there's no way he gets those kind of minutes this year when we have reinforcements.
Not a knock on GG, he plays hard and represents the school well. 

I think Obekpa is going to rack up the fouls quickly. Going to need Gift and his muscle