So let's recap

• 53 replies

Moose

Re: So let's recap
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 01:12:18 PM »

I do believe that DLO will emerge as the backup point in a Hatten / Hardy way. I can see him playing with four reserves on a second unit that is designed for him to score. I thought Greene at the point was a disaster actually.

Remember our offense last year was all around the perimeter with just Gift sitting down low?  How many times did DLo (who is a good passer IMO) dish it to Gift only for him to fumble it.  He will have some better options to catch those passes this year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »
But TGAPL did bring in a PG, Branch, and has insurance for Branch in Greene, who I agree isn't a true point but proved himself serviceable last year. I don't see how he could have brought in a third - why would a JUCO come here to sit on the bench behind two underclassmen, at least a JUCO who doesn't suck. Five guards seems plenty to me, considering DH will be on the floor 30 MPG. Also, you should reconsider the cheerleading outfit thing. Winky.

We have 16 wing guys. I would have rather used one scholie on another point but who knows what recruit led to getting another recruit, so that is one possible explanation. I am just not sold on Phil Greene point guard at all and Branch hasn't played in a year. Point guard and shooting would seem to be our biggest issues going into the season no?

I do have nice legs so I could possibly pull it off and just had knee surgery so I would only have to shave one leg. 

Moose

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »
We have 16 wing guys. I would have rather used one scholie on another point but who knows what recruit led to getting another recruit, so that is one possible explanation. I am just not sold on Phil Greene point guard at all and Branch hasn't played in a year. Point guard and shooting would seem to be our biggest issues going into the season no?

I do have nice legs so I could possibly pull it off and just had knee surgery so I would only have to shave one leg. 

Playing a game is different than practicing but its not like he was out with an injury working his way back.  He's been running FT with the team.  You have to admit Greene was a different and better player once Jamal got here and he got to practice vs him rather than Boris and Trey Donaldson.

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »
Playing a game is different than practicing but its not like he was out with an injury working his way back.  He's been running FT with the team.  You have to admit Greene was a different and better player once Jamal got here and he got to practice vs him rather than Boris and Trey Donaldson.

I am sorry I am not trying to be mean to the kid but he is not a point guard. If Malik Sealy or Lavor Postell were trying to play the point I would say the same thing. Greene is serviceable as a combo guard off the bench. If he picks up his shooting which despite his horrible % is a possibility I think he will be a nice backup shooting guard. I just do not think he should or could play the point. I think there is a way better chance he becomes a better shooter than point guard. He shows flashes and is athletic but right now he does not shoot well enough to be a two and he is not a point so he is basically a combo by default.

Foad

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »

Branch hasn't played a game since December. No one else has played a game since March. He practiced all year, it's not like he was in a coma. If he sucks its a problem. If he plays like a 4 star top 50 recruit, not so much. Personally I would have liked to have seen a recruit taller 6'8" because if Gazundheit ends up playing center, that's bad.

Moose

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »
I am sorry I am not trying to be mean to the kid but he is not a point guard. If Malik Sealy or Lavor Postell were trying to play the point I would say the same thing. Greene is serviceable as a combo guard off the bench. If he picks up his shooting which despite his horrible % is a possibility I think he will be a nice backup shooting guard. I just do not think he should or could play the point. I think there is a way better chance he becomes a better shooter than point guard. He shows flashes and is athletic but right now he does not shoot well enough to be a two and he is not a point so he is basically a combo by default.

Doesn't a combo mean he plays 1 and 2 but neither particularly better than the other?

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
Mongoose vs. Cobra fight to the death here!

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »
Doesn't a combo mean he plays 1 and 2 but neither particularly better than the other?

If you are Joe Dumars or Jeff Hornacek or even Lindsey Hunter yes. Guys that are usually a little small to be a two but have point guard and shooting guard skills. Chauncey Billups was a combo that became a good point guard. We are calling Greene a combo becuase he doesn't really have point guard skills and is not a good enough shooter to be a big time two.  Like I said I think he could improve enough to be a very solid two guard. I believe for the most part you are born with point guard skills and you have to be a very special athlete to learn to play it at the college or pro level.

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2012, 01:14:31 AM »
Of course Phil Greene was meant to play PG.  Just look at his initials.  That ain't no coincidink. :uglystupid2:

Best think about him however; is the prettiest teardrop seen in these parts since MJ.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 03:14:58 AM »
A backup point would have been a waste IMO.  Greene played very, very well the second half of the season playing the point for an astonishing 35 mpg.  Branch is a top recruit with a year under his belt.  Harrison also has a tight handle and good vision. I think Garrett can facilitate in the half court for a few stretches as he expands his game this season.  It looks like Bourgault might be a viable option as well in the half court.

crgreen

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »
A backup point would have been a waste IMO.  Greene played very, very well the second half of the season playing the point for an astonishing 35 mpg.  Branch is a top recruit with a year under his belt.  Harrison also has a tight handle and good vision. I think Garrett can facilitate in the half court for a few stretches as he expands his game this season.  It looks like Bourgault might be a viable option as well in the half court.

Kind of keep in mind that Steve Lavin is aware of the needs of his players at this level, as well as their portential at the NEXT level.  Hence, even with Cam Dollar at PG, he found considerable PG minutes for Toby Bailey at the point.   With Baron Davis at PG for 2 years, he still played starting SF Earl Watson there 15+ minutes a game.  With Ced Bozeman at PG, he still found time for SFs Dijon Thompson and even Jason Kapono at the 1.

I would expect that D'Lo will get some run at the PG spot this season.   Showcasing him for the NBA, and enhancing his draft stock.   I think Steve feels it's important in FUTURE recruiting - When you're dealing with elite recruits, you need to be sure those recruits know that even if you're asking them to play a different spot than they're projected at the NBA level, that you WILL get them the proper exposure at their natural positiion as well.

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
Kind of keep in mind that Steve Lavin is aware of the needs of his players at this level, as well as their portential at the NEXT level.  Hence, even with Cam Dollar at PG, he found considerable PG minutes for Toby Bailey at the point.   With Baron Davis at PG for 2 years, he still played starting SF Earl Watson there 15+ minutes a game.  With Ced Bozeman at PG, he still found time for SFs Dijon Thompson and even Jason Kapono at the 1.

I would expect that D'Lo will get some run at the PG spot this season.   Showcasing him for the NBA, and enhancing his draft stock.   I think Steve feels it's important in FUTURE recruiting - When you're dealing with elite recruits, you need to be sure those recruits know that even if you're asking them to play a different spot than they're projected at the NBA level, that you WILL get them the proper exposure at their natural positiion as well.

I am a Lavin fan but he played Earl Watson at small forward and Jason Kapono at point I guess I can finally see why all those UCLA fans hated him. lol

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:32:52 PM by we are sju »

crgreen

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »
Kind of keep in mind that Steve Lavin is aware of the needs of his players at this level, as well as their portential at the NEXT level.  Hence, even with Cam Dollar at PG, he found considerable PG minutes for Toby Bailey at the point.   With Baron Davis at PG for 2 years, he still played starting SG Earl Watson there 15+ minutes a game.  With Ced Bozeman at PG, he still found time for SFs Dijon Thompson and even Jason Kapono at the 1.

I am a Lavin fan but he played Earl Watson at small forward and Jason Kapono at point I guess I can finally see why all those UCLA fans hated him. lol

crgreen

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
Kind of keep in mind that Steve Lavin is aware of the needs of his players at this level, as well as their portential at the NEXT level.  Hence, even with Cam Dollar at PG, he found considerable PG minutes for Toby Bailey at the point.   With Baron Davis at PG for 2 years, he still played starting SF (Obvious Typo - my bad!)   Earl Watson there 15+ minutes a game.  With Ced Bozeman at PG, he still found time for SFs Dijon Thompson and even Jason Kapono at the 1.

Typo Corrected :)    Ced Bozeman went down 3 times in his career during the season for extended periods (knee surgery as a frosh, a bad shoulder as a soph.   Kapono was the best passer on the roster, hence getting some run at PG  (They had Matt Barnes available to take his place at SF).   Steve also got minutes for Rico at PG as well - but NOT necessarily showcasing HIM for the NBA! :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:42:22 PM by crgreen »