Jayson Williams - Starting Over

• 31 replies

pmg911

Jayson Williams - Starting Over
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8076263/brooklyn-nets-jayson-williams-grateful-second-chance-life

WEEHAWKEN, N.J. -- Jayson Williams wants to walk. After 26 months behind bars, Williams never squanders an opportunity to stretch the legs that once helped make him one of the NBA's most ruthless rebounders. Besides, he doesn't have a driver's license.

Williams - Dressed in a New Jersey Nets T-shirt and Chicago Bulls practice shorts, the 6-foot-10 Williams looms larger than the Empire State Building behind him in the distance. He takes only a few steps out from a hotel around Lincoln Harbor when a pair of 11-year-old girls want to know if he played in the NBA.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:20:46 AM by Dave »

Poison

Re: Jason Williams - Starting Over
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
He's a guy you can really get behind, if you would get behind anyone just because they played here.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »
If he could ever get back into the studio he'd be great. He's a lot funnier than Barkley and I think Barkley is pretty funny sometimes

Looks like he really sees the big picture nowadays.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:55:13 PM by mjmaherjr »

Poison

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
If he could ever get back into the studio he'd be great. He's a lot funnier than Barkley and I think Barkley is pretty funny sometimes

After killing a man he went to jail for something unrelated to killing that man. What exactly has he learned?

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
I really like Jason. Hope someone give him a chance to get back on TV.

I also live in Hunterton County NJ where he had his home.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »

After killing a man he went to jail for something unrelated to killing that man. What exactly has he learned?
That drinking too much caused a lot of his problems

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »

he learned that no matter how hard you try, there will always be people who have nothing to do with you who will keep trying to bring you down.  small people.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 05:27:11 PM »

he learned that no matter how hard you try, there will always be people who have nothing to do with you who will keep trying to bring you down.  small people.

I see small homers on this thread. All of you can stop acting like children. He's a criminal. Wake the F up.

kob24

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
Stop it this can turn ugly. Everyone is gonna have a different opinion on this matter. Let's respect each other or keep it to ourselves. CHURCH

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »
Stop it this can turn ugly. Everyone is gonna have a different opinion on this matter. Let's respect each other or keep it to ourselves.

Wise, sensitive and appropriate suggestion man!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:45:49 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »
He's a guy you can really get behind, if you would get behind anyone just because they played here.

Well you certainly don't want to be in front of him. Unless of course, you're a bullet dodger

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »
Stop it this can turn ugly. Everyone is gonna have a different opinion on this matter. Let's respect each other or keep it to ourselves. CHURCH
Wisdom.

pmg911

Re: Jayson Williams - Starting Over
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 07:54:30 AM »
Jayson has made some massive mistakes in his life but he has paid his debt to society through our justice system. He deserves a chance at happiness moving forward, as does anyone else who has paid their debt through prison time.

I have known Jayson since I am 17 and I can tell you he is truly one of the most generous and funny people you will ever come across. It is a shame what he let happen to himself but I hope he has really seen the error of his ways because he can have a very positive impact on a lot of people moving forward.

**As for the TV work - he was great when he was doing it and would be great again but I highly doubt he gets that kind of opportunity.

On a side note - a lot of the younger fans don't realize how good he was and how good he would have been had his legs not been destroyed with injuries. He was a beast at at SJU and in the NBA, one of THE strongest people I have ever seen play basketball.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »
The sexual abuse mentioned in his book, while it doesn't excuse his behavior, certainly explains a lot of it.  I, too, like Jayson (although I don't know him personally).  I am not equipped to judge (I will leave that up to God), therefore, I wish him nothing but the best going forward.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 11:41:59 AM »
Jayson has made some massive mistakes in his life but he has paid his debt to society through our justice system. He deserves a chance at happiness moving forward, as does anyone else who has paid their debt through prison time.

I have known Jayson since I am 17 and I can tell you he is truly one of the most generous and funny people you will ever come across. It is a shame what he let happen to himself but I hope he has really seen the error of his ways because he can have a very positive impact on a lot of people moving forward.

**As for the TV work - he was great when he was doing it and would be great again but I highly doubt he gets that kind of opportunity.

On a side note - a lot of the younger fans don't realize how good he was and how good he would have been had his legs not been destroyed with injuries. He was a beast at at SJU and in the NBA, one of THE strongest people I have ever seen play basketball.
While it may be a shame "what he let happen to himself" it is also a shame what happened to Mr. Christofi the only difference being he had no choice or control over what happened to him.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:48:10 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 01:07:33 PM »
Christofi.....please respect his memory

Poison

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »
A man was killed, but we should feel sorry his killer? Priorities? Common sense? Morals?

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
A man was killed, but we should feel sorry his killer? Priorities? Common sense? Morals?

Who is asking you to feel sorry for him..?

Also, he paid his debt to society according to our justice system. He is as deserving of a second chance as anyone else who has piaid the price our system gave them.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
This article is intended to make you feel sorry for him. He has been given so many gifts because of his great basketball ability. He has abused them. There is no reason to believe that he won't be back in jail in a year or two. I hope he isn't. I hope he finally recognizes that actions have consequences.

However, while it was easy to root hard for him when he played here, because of the terrible hand he was dealt early on, it is becoming very difficult to support him after seeing that he continues to hurt so many people around him.

Some of you might think it is "small people" that no longer want to give second third and fourth chances, but eventually you move on from someone who just doesn't learn from their mistakes.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 09:04:57 AM »
you haven't moved on...

at least we have one fault free choir boy who never had his hands dirtied posting.

i welcome your perspective.