Who?

• 26 replies
Who?
« on: June 22, 2012, 11:34:20 PM »
Which newbie do you want to see most? For me Sanchez, love the true PF. We need him to be a badass

MCNPA

Re: Who?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »
Hard to say.  Can't wait to see a real PG lie Branch.  Can't wait to see Jakarr either.  Truth be told though, I'm most excited for Obekpa because he is such a shotblocking presence. 

Poison

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »
After watching us get manhandled inside by anyone with a pulse for two decades, Obekpa is our most exciting recruit.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:58:26 AM »
Jakarr, should be joining Moe in the NBA in a few years

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 01:11:42 AM »
Jakarr for me. Hope he comes out with something to prove
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:18:31 AM »

Why do you think he'll come out w something to prove?

lihoop

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »
well, he's following in Moe's footsteps and realizes the opportunity he has to make it to the next level.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »

I think every player wants to prove something. Ive heard things like 'Jakarr doesnt have a real position' and 'he cant shoot' or 'hes not big enough to bang down low'.

I hope he proves them wrong
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »
 Jakkar... and Obekpa.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Jamal Branch! We haven't had a true (good) PG actually playing PG for us in a while!

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 02:02:02 PM »
Bourgault. I wanna see how having a spot shooter will open up the floor for others.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »
Hard to say.  Can't wait to see a real PG lie Branch.  Can't wait to see Jakarr either.  Truth be told though, I'm most excited for Obekpa because he is such a shotblocking presence.
Way to be decisive. :) Happen to agree. Tie with Sampson and Sanchez the S and S boys (bookend forwards) but most intrigued by Opekba because not sure what he can give us right away but his shot blocking potential is exciting.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »
There are really no wrong answers here. Everyone will be interesting to watch.

Jakarr Sampson - Probably our best incoming player. Great athleticism, rebounding, shot blocking, finishing and some mid range game. Will be interesting to see if he can replace or give an improvement over Mo (considering he was considered just as high if not higher then Mo and comes in with an extra year of development)

Jamal Branch - Gives us the point guard we dreadfully needed last year with Phil dribbling in place for 5 seconds and then passing the ball out. Great defender and athleticism also.

Orlando Sanchez - Ready to play now. Will give us a little of everything, is a much needed big body and is not a ball hog. I love guys like him.

Christopher Obekpa - Great defended and rebounder with elite shot blocking and potential. Will be interesting to see how we can open up our defensive sets and gamble more with him protecting the rim.

Darrick Wood - Can potentially give us another scoring threat to the backcourt. Really good potential and helps open the court.

Marco Bourgault - We obviously needed shooting. He's a great shooter and opens up the court and can be a supranational guy (especially with free throws)

Felix Balamou - Very high potential guy. If you want to see how much a player can grow in a season watch Felix last year. He has great potential and can be a player for us.

All in all, Im most enticed with Obekpa. Other than just being a good positional defender and rebounder (which was sorely needed) he can give the guards security to play aggressive defensively. He will help the whole team improve. Also has a very high ceiling and with the right assistant coach, it will be interesting to see his development offensively.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:39:31 PM by Save The Hero »

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »
Great job on evals Save. But believe Wood can help our backcourt not so sure about backfield. :)

desco80

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
Like most people are saying, there's no wrong answer here.  But for me it's Branch.  And not for the reasons you think.

Offensively, we need him to facilitate obviously.   But don't overlook the impact he can have defensively.   
Two areas specifically I'm thinking of:  1) If he can play at the top of the zone that should help our post defense and rebounding.  Last year our best defenders were Dom and Amir, but putting them at the top left either Phil or D'lo  out toward the wing, and when the ball rotated those guys sometimes had to cover guys on the weakside low block.  Remember  those weakside alley oops in the Syracuse game?    If you have Amir there, those plays don't happen.   And it improves our rebounding.   Plus I love a guard who can pick somebody's pocket.

2) Our other defensive weakness was the 3pt shot.  Teams got open looks because we really had a hard time slowing down ball movement around the perimeter.   No knock on Phil or D'lo.. they played hard.. but teams didn't have a problem passing around them.   And if it's easy to swing it around.. teams will eventually find an open shot.    I'm hoping Jamal can slow down some of that ball movement. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:42:55 PM by desco80 »

ras

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »

I think every player wants to prove something. Ive heard things like 'Jakarr doesnt have a real position' and 'he cant shoot' or 'hes not big enough to bang down low'.

I hope he proves them wrong
The only place I heard those things about Karr are on the Cincy boards. I expect great things from him.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:14:26 PM by ras »

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
It s O rlando for me. I really thinkis going to make the biggest impact

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »
Great job on evals Save. But believe Wood can help our backcourt not so sure about backfield. :)

:-[ fixed it.

redslope

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
I love the underdog so I am most interested in seeing Felix as he is considered the player with the least impact; however, I appreciate his early joining of the team and, like Phil, he has the most to prove

crgreen

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »
There are really no wrong answers here. Everyone will be interesting to watch.

Jakarr Sampson - Probably our best incoming player. Great athleticism, rebounding, shot blocking, finishing and some mid range game. Will be interesting to see if he can replace or give an improvement over Mo (considering he was considered just as high if not higher then Mo and comes in with an extra year of development)

Jamal Branch - Gives us the point guard we dreadfully needed last year with Phil dribbling in place for 5 seconds and then passing the ball out. Great defender and athleticism also.

Orlando Sanchez - Ready to play now. Will give us a little of everything, is a much needed big body and is not a ball hog. I love guys like him.

Christopher Obekpa - Great defended and rebounder with elite shot blocking and potential. Will be interesting to see how we can open up our defensive sets and gamble more with him protecting the rim.

Darrick Wood - Can potentially give us another scoring threat to the backcourt. Really good potential and helps open the court.

Marco Bourgault - We obviously needed shooting. He's a great shooter and opens up the court and can be a supranational guy (especially with free throws)

Felix Balamou - Very high potential guy. If you want to see how much a player can grow in a season watch Felix last year. He has great potential and can be a player for us.

All in all, Im most enticed with Obekpa. Other than just being a good positional defender and rebounder (which was sorely needed) he can give the guards security to play aggressive defensively. He will help the whole team improve. Also has a very high ceiling and with the right assistant coach, it will be interesting to see his development offensively.

Most impact?   The fact that you were just able to list MORE "potential impact" newcomers than we had total PLAYERS last year.