2012/2013 Schedule

• 222 replies

paultzman

2012/2013 Schedule
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: #STJBB 12-13 Road BIG EAST Opponents: Cincinnati, DePaul, Georgetown, Louisville, Notre Dame, Providence, Rutgers, Syracuse, Villanova”

“@STJ_Basketball: #STJBB 12-13 Home BIG EAST Opponents: Connecticut, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Seton Hall, USF”
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:16:57 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

Re: 2012/2013 Schedule
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
That means we play DePaul, Rutgers and Georgetown twice.  They're all on our home schedule.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:18:09 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
We seem to pay georgetown twice every year.

desco80

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
And what out of conference games do we know of so far?

Charleston Classic - do we know the matchups?
South Carolina @ home for the SEC-BE matchup
Duke

after that? 

Moose

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
That means we play DePaul, Rutgers and Georgetown twice.  They're all on our home schedule.

Favorable teams.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »

And DePaul

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »

And DePaul

Yeah, but I like playing DePaul twice... ;D

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »
Just noticed that we play Notre dame twice too.  WVU departure I guess?  I like aging Notre dame twice as well.  It's our type of matchup.  We tend to have Brey's number for the most part.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 01:30:56 PM »
Just noticed that we play Notre dame twice too.  WVU departure I guess?  I like aging Notre dame twice as well.  It's our type of matchup.  We tend to have Brey's number for the most part.

MCN's iPad strikes again! :2funny:

BIG EAST Opponents announced
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 02:06:31 PM »
Dates and TV to be annoucned later.  Like I thought a few weeks ago, with 15 instead of 16 teams they stick with the 18 games schedule and play 4 teams twice and 10 teams once.

For SJU they get DePaul, Rutgers, Notre Dame and Georgetown twice.

Home slate includes USF, SHU, RU, UCONN, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Marquette, Pitt and DePaul. 

I always like to guess the MSG vs. Carnesecca opponents.  I am guessing the we could see as many as 4 Carnesecca opponents.  DePaul, SHU, RU and USF are the prime candidates.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/06/28/big-east-announces-hoops-opponents/

paultzman

Re: BIG EAST Opponents announced
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »
Dates and TV to be annoucned later.  Like I thought a few weeks ago, with 15 instead of 16 teams they stick with the 18 games schedule and play 4 teams twice and 10 teams once.

Home slate includes USF, SHU, RU, UCONN, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Marquette, Pitt and DePaul. 

I always like to guess the MSG vs. Carnesecca opponents.  I am guessing the we could see as many as 4 Carnesecca opponents.  DePaul, SHU, RU and USF are the prime candidates.

Posted already Fordham! LOl

Re: BIG EAST Opponents announced
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »

Posted already Fordham! LOl

Totally missed it. Please fold into existing thread.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:26:26 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »

The last few years SJU has played Georgetown, Cincy and Notre Dame twice a lot.  Also this is the 3 times in 4 years SJU has played DePaul twice.  No Cincy this year but the last two years and I believe 3 out of the last four years prior to this year SJU has played Cincy twice. 

I don't believe since the Big East expanded to the 18 game schedule in 2007-08 has SJU played RU twice so this is a first.

At first glance looking at the schedule I am guessing SJU was picked somewhere in the 8-10 range of the preliminary poll that is taken in mid-June.

MCNPA

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »

MCN's iPad strikes again! :2funny:

I'm going to turn that function off...lol

desco80

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
So how many games do you think end up on campus v at MSG?

Gotta figure Seton Hall, USF, and Depaul are probably on campus.  Rest should be at MSG right?   
It will be interesting though, because we haven't played Rutgers at MSG in awhile.  They've usually been on campus.   But in years past we typically only play 2-3 conference games at CA.   4 would be a lot. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:15:10 PM by desco80 »

desco80

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 03:24:55 PM »
I also think we lucked out in terms of the home and away in alternating years...

We weren't going to beat Louisville or Syracuse this year probably anyway... (I know, I wish we'd beat Cuse too).   But I'm just saying it's highly unlikely.  So in some ways that would be wasting a home game.   If we're going to lose anyway, I'd rather play them on the road, and save our home spots for winnable games, where maybe a home court advantage is the deciding factor.

UCONN, Marquette, Pitt .. could all be winnable games.   The fact that we get them at home, gives us that more of a chance to beat them.   

Moose

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »

Gotta figure Seton Hall, USF, and Depaul are probably on campus.  Rest should be at MSG right?   
It will be interesting though, because we haven't played Rutgers at MSG in awhile.  They've usually been on campus.   But in years past we typically only play 2-3 conference games at CA.   4 would be a lot. 

Depending on the dates the Garden has available since again its a late start for them this year I would say 2 on campus rest at MSG

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »

Depending on the dates the Garden has available since again its a late start for them this year I would say 2 on campus rest at MSG

They are going to play USF and Rutgers or SHU at MSG???  They won't draw flies for those games.

Remember in Lavin's first year, 2010-11, they played 4 of the 9 at Carnesecca.  USF, DePaul, Rutgers and Cincy.  So it is not unusual.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »

They are going to play USF and Rutgers or SHU at MSG???  They won't draw flies for those games.

Remember in Lavin's first year, 2010-11, they played 4 of the 9 at Carnesecca.  USF, DePaul, Rutgers and Cincy.  So it is not unusual.

It has to do with dates available primarily.  And then you deal with past success.  Lavin's 1st yr was after how many years it resembled a morgue.  With both Garden teams having a late start due to construction again dates will be at a premium.  I can see us playing Rutgers or Hall there without question.  Thats not that far from a possibility as you make it seem.  DePaul and USF are very safe bets for CA.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »

It has to do with dates available primarily.  And then you deal with past success.  Lavin's 1st yr was after how many years it resembled a morgue.  With both Garden teams having a late start due to construction again dates will be at a premium.  I can see us playing Rutgers or Hall there without question.  Thats not that far from a possibility as you make it seem.  DePaul and USF are very safe bets for CA.

I disagree a little.  I think it has a lot to do with the traditional opponents and then perhaps the non-traditional opponents who are projected to have good years.  Last year the breakdown was 7-2.  But that is largely due to SHU, RU and USF were all road games.  ND, Georgetown, Villanova, Syracuse and Louisville are teams you will NEVER see at Carnesecca.  Throw in UCONN when SJU gets them at home in that category. West Virginia has had a lot of success recently under Huggins so they played at MSG the last few years.  That leaves Cincy.  But Cincy was projected to be a top 6 team in the BE last year.  Providence and DePaul were considered bottom feeders so they get Carnesecca.

I could be wrong but of the 4 teams that I could see at Carnesecca next year: USF, RU, SHU and DePaul, I am going to guess you will get at least 3 of them.  Perhaps USF graduates because they made the NCAA's and people think they are worthy.