2012/2013 Schedule

• 222 replies

ras

Re: 2012/2013 Schedule
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:33 AM »
Why is Duke series on hiatus?
Because ACC is expanding and they needed room for conference game.

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
Can someone dig up that website that had all the colleges looking to schedule games?  It was posted last year I think.  Just to show all the demands or requests in addition to matching dates that are asked for that often prevent games from being scheduled

I posted it...trying to locate it again...not sure if it is still available

Edit: http://www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e_type=1

Looks a bit different but i think this is the same(updated)sight.

When you look at what some teams are offering to matchup with them it's kind've interesting.    I was just looking at different teams randomly..

San Francisco posts:
"San Francisco is looking for 1 more team to complete its Hilltop Challenge over Thanksgiving. Contact Jack Kennedy with interest. 40K, Hotel Rooms, Meals, and Ipod Shuffles"

Why/How can they give away ipod shuffles? Is it for the coaches or AD or players?

« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2012, 12:35:12 PM »
My only real problem w this schedule is that we have no MSG presence until this singular game Holiday Festival. And even then, it seems odd to play Fordham. Why bother? What could create less buzz? Why not at least invite another A10 team and a CAA team as well?

Holiday Festival is only 1 day again.  Due to the late start for Knicks and Rangers at home they don't have the back to back dates to spare.  Yeah MSG games will have no premier OOC game.

I think were just used to having a premier game at MSG every year.  We don't this year.  This isn't the hard crazy schedules we're used to.  But its not cupcake city as some might be overreacting to think.
As for Holiday Festival-if they played over the holidays like they traditionally used to I am sure they could have squeezed in a two day tourney-you don't need consecutive days it usually had a day in-between and over the holidays with school out you can even sch a weekday day games.

desco80

« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
My only real problem w this schedule is that we have no MSG presence until this singular game Holiday Festival. And even then, it seems odd to play Fordham. Why bother? What could create less buzz? Why not at least invite another A10 team and a CAA team as well?

Holiday Festival is only 1 day again.  Due to the late start for Knicks and Rangers at home they don't have the back to back dates to spare.  Yeah MSG games will have no premier OOC game.

I think were just used to having a premier game at MSG every year.  We don't this year.  This isn't the hard crazy schedules we're used to.  But its not cupcake city as some might be overreacting to think.
As for Holiday Festival-if they played over the holidays like they traditionally used to I am sure they could have squeezed in a two day tourney-you don't need consecutive days it usually had a day in-between and over the holidays with school out you can even sch a weekday day games.

Yea that's another thing I saw on the schedule... the "Holiday Festival" is  Dec 8th.      It's closer to Thanksgiving now than it is Christmas.

desco80

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »
Can someone dig up that website that had all the colleges looking to schedule games?  It was posted last year I think.  Just to show all the demands or requests in addition to matching dates that are asked for that often prevent games from being scheduled

When you look at what some teams are offering to matchup with them it's kind've interesting.    I was just looking at different teams randomly..

San Francisco posts:
"San Francisco is looking for 1 more team to complete its Hilltop Challenge over Thanksgiving. Contact Jack Kennedy with interest. 40K, Hotel Rooms, Meals, and Ipod Shuffles"

Why/How can they give away ipod shuffles? Is it for the coaches or AD or players?

I assumed it meant the players, but it gave me pause too.    I guess tournaments/opposing teams can give things out to players?     I think I remember reading that you get nice swag for playing in a bowl game in football.   Is this the same thing?

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »

San Francisco posts:

I assumed it meant the players, but it gave me pause too.    I guess tournaments/opposing teams can give things out to players?     I think I remember reading that you get nice swag for playing in a bowl game in football.   Is this the same thing?

Its probably the equivalent, but it just seems a little shady.

« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »

San Francisco posts:

Its probably the equivalent, but it just seems a little shady.

It's not like they're recruiting them or anything so I don't see where it would be an impermissible benefit.

« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
Why is Michigan playing West Va in the BROOKLYN HOOPS Winter Festival? Princeton too? This could have been a great start to a yearly all local showcase.

redslope

« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2012, 10:14:55 PM »
the give aways are traditional in "tournaments".  In the old days, they used to give watches to all team members, coaches and even managers as a memento of the tournament.

TONYD3

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2012, 10:22:40 PM »
Seems like a weak home schedule- meaning not many marquee games. Season tickets aren't cheap. No duke, cuse or ucla.

« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
Why is Michigan playing West Va in the BROOKLYN HOOPS Winter Festival? Princeton too? This could have been a great start to a yearly all local showcase.
Maybe they wanted some good teams to be playing. :) ;)

desco80

« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2012, 03:21:20 PM »
Barclays doing a nice job of picking up College Hoops programing.    Wonder how much of this business they took away from MSG.  Or if the Garden even cares.

Barclays Classic  Nov 9 -  Kentucky v Maryland

Coaches v Cancer  Nov 16/17  -  BYU, Florida St, Notre Dame, St. Joe's

Legends Classic   Nov 19-20  -  Georgetown, Indiana, UCLA, Georgia

BK Winter Hoops Festival  Dec 15 -  Michigan v WVU
                                                         Princeton v Fordham
                                                         St Johns v  St Francis

BK Hoops Holiday Invitational  Dec 22    LIU v Seton Hall
                                                               South Carolina v Manhattan

A-10 Tournament

That's a lot of college bball.   

Moose

« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2012, 03:28:32 PM »
Barclays doing a nice job of picking up College Hoops programing.    Wonder how much of this business they took away from MSG.  Or if the Garden even cares.

Princeton v Fordham
                                                         St Johns v  St Francis

A-10 Tournament

South Carolina again.  Thad gets two chances to play at home.  Frank Martin sure loves NYC.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »
Didn't realize Barclays had stolen CvC.  Is this due to renovations or due to the date conflict with 2K Classic?  Garden Schedule  as far as I can tell (not counting St Johns games):

2K Sports Classic - Nov 15-16:  Nova, Purdue, Bama, Oregon State
Pre Season NIT - Nov 21 & 23:  Michigan, Pitt, K State, UVA
Jimmy V Classic - Dec 4:  TX v Gtown, NC St v UConn
Maggie Dixon Classic - Dec 9 (Ladies):  La Tech v Rutgers, Duke v St Johns
Gotham Classic - Dec 22:  Syracuse v Temple

Big East Tournament

Softer slate this year without CvC and a Duke game (they're playing Temple in Jersey).  But still if you live in NY and are a college hoops fan you sure can keep yourself busy.

Moose

« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »
Didn't realize Barclays had stolen CvC.  Is this due to renovations or due to the date conflict with 2K Classic?  Garden Schedule  as far as I can tell (not counting St Johns games):

2K Sports Classic - Nov 15-16:  Nova, Purdue, Bama, Oregon State
Pre Season NIT - Nov 21 & 23:  Michigan, Pitt, K State, UVA
Jimmy V Classic - Dec 4:  TX v Gtown, NC St v UConn
Maggie Dixon Classic - Dec 9 (Ladies):  La Tech v Rutgers, Duke v St Johns
Gotham Classic - Dec 22:  Syracuse v Temple

Big East Tournament

Softer slate this year without CvC and a Duke game (they're playing Temple in Jersey).  But still if you live in NY and are a college hoops fan you sure can keep yourself busy.

Isn't CVC usually the week before 2K.  Probably hurt with renovations, Rangers deeper in playoffs, late start to them and late start for MSG games for Knicks and Rangers.

MCNPA

« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »

Princeton v Fordham
                                                         St Johns v  St Francis

A-10 Tournament

NYC certainly making itself the Mecca of basketball once again.  Barclays center/ Brooklyn Nets and all the college ball they bring is GREAT for NYC hoops.  Brooklyn has become a real destination, at one time In the shadow of Manhattan.  Great for both college and pro basketball in NYC.  Also a great time for SJU to take the reigns.

Moose

« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »

Princeton v Fordham
                                                         St Johns v  St Francis

A-10 Tournament

NYC certainly making itself the Mecca of basketball once again.  Barclays center/ Brooklyn Nets and all the college ball they bring is GREAT for NYC hoops.  Brooklyn has become a real destination, at one time In the shadow of Manhattan.  Great for both college and pro basketball in NYC.  Also a great time for SJU to take the reigns.

All well and good but some fans will have to accept that other schools WILL come here to play.  And there is ZERO we can do about that.  Regardless how good we are.  NYC is a destination.  That also needs to be said.

desco80

« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2012, 05:34:31 PM »

Princeton v Fordham
                                                         St Johns v  St Francis

A-10 Tournament

All well and good but some fans will have to accept that other schools WILL come here to play.  And there is ZERO we can do about that.  Regardless how good we are.  NYC is a destination.  That also needs to be said.

... Georgetown playing 3 times in NYC this season.   

MCNPA

« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »
Those other schools are just visitors.  This is our house.

Moose

« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2012, 06:27:34 PM »

Princeton v Fordham
                                                         St Johns v  St Francis

A-10 Tournament

... Georgetown playing 3 times in NYC this season.   

Aka what Cuse and Duke have done for the last decade it seems.