A little more respect...

• 29 replies

Moose

Re: A little more respect...
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
As usual, a very funny and witty post Foad, but would you conisder your reference to Lavin as TGAPL the equivalent to "sugar britches"?

No. TGAPL pokes fun at his acolytes. And anyway Lavs is more of a sweet cheeks.

Acolytes is a great term but  I prefer minions.
Remember who broke the Slice news

DFF6

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
As usual, a very funny and witty post Foad, but would you conisder your reference to Lavin as TGAPL the equivalent to "sugar britches"?

No. TGAPL pokes fun at his acolytes. And anyway Lavs is more of a sweet cheeks.

The nickname sweet cheeks always reminds me of the scene below from Trains, Planes and Automobiles.  I hope Lavin and Chiles don't share a room when recruiting.

Those Aren't Pillows! - Planes, Trains & Automobiles (10/10) Movie CLIP (1987) HD
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:14:14 PM by DFF6 »

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
I do prefer Coach Lavin, to show that I have respect for him. I would never call Coach Carnesecca, "Little Louie", but I have always fondly thought of him as Louie. I would never call Coach Lavin, Lav or Lavs, simply because I think they are dumb nicknames. But if others call him that, with no harm intended, it doesn't really bother me. I just personally think one should address him with respect.

Speaking of respect, why does the spell checker on this sight, question the name Carnesecca, and not Lavin? :knuppel2:

Moose

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »
I do prefer Coach Lavin, to show that I have respect for him. I would never call Coach Carnesecca, "Little Louie", but I have always fondly thought of him as Louie. I would never call Coach Lavin, Lav or Lavs, simply because I think they are dumb nicknames. But if others call him that, with no harm intended, it doesn't really bother me. I just personally think one should address him with respect.

Speaking of respect, why does the spell checker on this sight, question the name Carnesecca, and not Lavin? :knuppel2:

I don't think anyone would ever call him Lavs to his face unless he said so.
I have called him Coach whenever I have met him.

And its not the site spell check its whatever browser your in.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
I enjoy nicknames for team personnel more than the next guy.  Me thinks Lavs or TGAPL or Hollywood is just fine.  My nickname for coach even spurred a clever and popular sign and fan section now seen routinely at home games.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
You could call him coach

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »
I used Fun's terminology a week or so ago and called my girlfriend " sugar britches " and she thought I called her " sugar bitches " and she hit me with the remote control
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:52:33 PM by mjmaherjr »

LoganK

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
I used Fun's terminology a week or so ago and called my girlfriend " sugar britches " and she thought I called her " sugar bitches " and she hit me with the remote control

Love it.  That's actually what I thought Foad wrote when I first read it; assumed I was wrong and reread it :)

My opinion on the topic is as with any other word, context is more important than the term itself.  I refer to Coach Lavin as Lavs or Lavin most of the time as do many other people.  I think a lot of it has to do with his personality.  He portrays himself as (and by all accounts is) a man who is fun to be around and very likable.  If anything, my guess is that he would like his fans to feel close to him, he wants this to be a family.  "Lavs" to me is more a sign of respect and much love for what he has done for us, and the type of person he seems to be.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »
Master Mister Doctor Counselor Coach Steven Lavin does it for me! ::) ::) ::)

crgreen

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »
You could call him coach

Yes, but the original post was about how he's referred to here on the board.     In a thread like, say, "Who replaces coach Dunlap" - referring to Steve as "coach" (I only capitalize the "C" for one Coach), would get pretty confusing among the coach Dunlaps, coach Hines, coach Childs, coach Keadys, coach Alloccas, coach Abatemarcos, etc...