Shavar Newkirk - SG - Cardinal Hayes - Bronx, NY - ST. JOE'S

• 42 replies
Re: Shavar Newkirk - SG - Cardinal Hayes - Bronx, NY
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »
Newkirk really isn't a target. I love Shavar but think he's better suited for a smaller conference.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Happy

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »
Newkirk really isn't a target. I love Shavar but think he's better suited for a smaller conference.

I agree .. There are a number of big east kids in this game though.  Luis Santos has a big east body right now. Holy crap is this kid big.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »

Dave we had a little tangent on Carrington thread about Metro Area PG's.  Are we targeting anyone from '13, '14 or '15 on that front.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 01:04:04 AM »

Dave we had a little tangent on Carrington thread about Metro Area PG's.  Are we targeting anyone from '13, '14 or '15 on that front.

Recruiting talks have been so quiet with St. John's. It's eery
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »
Does that mean we think we're set at point guard for the next few years with Branch and Rysheed?

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 10:27:32 AM »
Does that mean we think we're set at point guard for the next few years with Branch and Rysheed?

Big assumption there.

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »
Yea what do you mean with that comment, Dave?

gman

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »
On sny tomorrow at 2

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
Watched some of his game against LuHi yesterday.  I'll preface this by saying it's the only time I've seen him, but it seems that his game is primarily taking it to the hoop.  Kid's got a thick body and is unafraid to take it hard.  My only question is how that game translates to the high major college level where he'll be going against bigger players.  He's a leader on the floor, got a lot of nice attributes, but if he doesn't have a consistent outside shot don't know how he'll fare as a two in college.

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
Watched some of his game against LuHi yesterday.  I'll preface this by saying it's the only time I've seen him, but it seems that his game is primarily taking it to the hoop.  Kid's got a thick body and is unafraid to take it hard.  My only question is how that game translates to the high major college level where he'll be going against bigger players.  He's a leader on the floor, got a lot of nice attributes, but if he doesn't have a consistent outside shot don't know how he'll fare as a two in college.

MAAC level IMO.

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
I didn't think newkirk looked upper D1 level yesterday.

Chilleb

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
I'm watching the game and is it just me or is it pretty obvious the level of play in NYC isn't as strong as past years?

gman

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »
I'm watching the game and is it just me or is it pretty obvious the level of play in NYC isn't as strong as past years?

Well its because kids aren't sticking around the city.

Chilleb

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »

True

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 11:29:17 AM »

True

I watched the Simeon v. Whitney Young game a couple of nights ago.  Chicago is loaded with talent---and that was only two teams.  NYC is definitely not producing the quality players that we used too.  I know that some leave the City for prep schools but the talent level has definitely dropped.  I'm not sure if it is just the quality of coaching in both the high schools and AAU.  The PSAL is garbage these days.  Lincoln has some HS talent but they don't really do much in college.  Rice is gone. CTK produces a few good players each year, with an occasional great one every few years.  Molloy  does not produce like it used to.  Loughlin has an occasional player and Xaverian gives us nothing lately.

St. Mary's, LuHi, Mt. Vernon and the Jersey schools, for the most part, are producing the only talent in the metro area.

kob24

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 10:28:36 PM »
A lot of talent in li

Happy

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 10:31:42 PM »
A lot of talent in li

Indeed.  Best time for Long Island ball in recent memory. 

Moose

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 10:38:30 PM »
A lot of talent in li

That makes Happy happy.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Happy

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:53 PM »
A lot of talent in li

That makes Happy happy.

It's about time the island had some power programs.  A team of Long Island all stars would smack a city team this year.   

Chilleb

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 03:59:35 AM »
A lot of talent in li

That makes Happy happy.

It's about time the island had some power programs.  A team of Long Island all stars would smack a city team this year.
Wouldn't count , Jaquan , isaiah, Travis Flagg, Austin Williams, Dupree mcbrayer, Jaquan brown , Terrence and Shamiek out that quick, Jessie and devonte would be the bright spots and I saw wings academy throttle them by 35 earlier on in the year