Will STJ secure a 2013/2014 summer commit?

• 34 replies
Will STJ secure a 2013/2014 summer commit?
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
Just a fun subject during a slow time.

I follow the recruiting section of this site religiously, thanks paultzman, fordham, Moose,cr, Dave and so many more that I am forgetting (sorry!), and was wondering if anyone thinks were going to get any 2013/2014 kids to commit this summer/fall?

sju89tr

Re: Will STJ secure a 2013/2014 summer commit?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
I think we will get one before Nov signing period

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »
yes
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Chilleb

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »
In the fall def

Poison

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
If we have only spot open, should we wait to see what we need to add?

desco80

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
Yea, I think by fall signing day we have 1 for the 2013 class. 
But nobody pops for 2014 yet.   Lot of playing time issues to be resolved for a kid to commit to us 2 years ahead of time.   They'll want to wait and see.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
Lawrence should be the target. That's a Queens kid. He should stay home and become a star in NY.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
If we have only spot open, should we wait to see what we need to add?

Usually over 80% of the class verbals and signs in the fall period. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Lawrence should be the target. That's a Queens kid. He should stay home and become a star in NY.

Yup. Would love this kid. He will have his pick of any school he wants though, basically.  You know Lavin is putting the time and effort in. If he goes elsewhere, it won't be for a lack of recruiting effort.

Do you think the fact that Cuse will be in ACC in 2013 will have an adverse affect on their recruiting? I mean, the ACC kinda sucks outside of a few teams.  I know they are on JL's list.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »

Yup. Would love this kid. He will have his pick of any school he wants though, basically.  You know Lavin is putting the time and effort in. If he goes elsewhere, it won't be for a lack of recruiting effort.

Do you think the fact that Cuse will be in ACC in 2013 will have an adverse affect on their recruiting? I mean, the ACC kinda sucks outside of a few teams.  I know they are on JL's list.

With the addition of Pitt and Cuse, the ACC will be considered the best B'Ball conference in the country.  The BE will lose some of it's allure.  That'll be a huge selling point for CUSE.  Play the very best teams in the country, Duke, UNC, Pitt, etc...

jr49

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »

With the addition of Pitt and Cuse, the ACC will be considered the best B'Ball conference in the country.  The BE will lose some of it's allure.  That'll be a huge selling point for CUSE.  Play the very best teams in the country, Duke, UNC, Pitt, etc...
Biggest selling point for the top players is still gonna be who can get me in the pros, and in how long.

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »

I still don't think ACC will be the best conference.  They'll still be heavy at the top with about 5 or 6 good teams instead of 3 or 4.  Big east adding good programs in Temple and Memphis won't lose much.  I still have my doubts whether Cuse has Boeheim at the helm me next few years as well which will be a big blow.

redslope

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »

I still don't think ACC will be the best conference.  They'll still be heavy at the top with about 5 or 6 good teams instead of 3 or 4.  Big east adding good programs in Temple and Memphis won't lose much.  I still have my doubts whether Cuse has Boeheim at the helm me next few years as well which will be a big blow.

Further to your comments regarding Temple and Memphis being good programs--now that they will be in the Big East, their ability to recruit at a higher level has gone up (more national TV exposure and more conference opportunities to get an invite to the Big Dance) and that can only make them better than currently structured

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Seems like Lawrence is option #1 for 2013.  Not sure who it falls after that..

Foad

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »

Further to your comments regarding Temple and Memphis being good programs--now that they will be in the Big East, their ability to recruit at a higher level has gone up (more national TV exposure and more conference opportunities to get an invite to the Big Dance) and that can only make them better than currently structured

Good points and well made. Temples is every bit the program as is Syracuse and what Frank Dumphrets has done there measures up well against Boeheim's 900 wins and various national championships. And Memphis as well is the match for Pitt, especially since Campari left and allowed John Pastorino to catapult Memphis to national prominence. There is no doubt that moving from the A10 and CUSA respectfully will not at all affect either teams chance to win ballgames - just any successful D league team would be able transition smoothly to the NBA and just as a good 10K claimer often jumps up to win a grade 1 race. Likely these teams will in fact improve as they begin to recruit at the same high level as does DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence and Saint John's under Betelguese, when blue chippers were the order of the day because of the natural exposures they got playing in the big dance in the worlds most famous arena in the greatest city in the world.

Too, the ACC isn't, as the kids say, all that the cat meows. Besides overrated DeWK, perennial choksters UNC, a Boeheimless Syracuse (my sources tell me he'll never coach a game in the ACC), Pitt (who knows how long Dixon stays), NC State, Maryland, Wake, Virginia, and Florida, what else do they have? A bunch of teams at the bottom of the conference who tend to lose more often than they win. Unlike the BE, where all the teams at the top tend to win more games than they lose - which is a huge difference not apparent to most casual fans. And anyway none of those teams can hold a candle to West Virginia, much less traditional basketball powerhouses like Central Florida, Boise State, and Navy. With a healthy Jim Calhoun safely at UConn for another 10 or 20 years and up and comers like the classy Mike Rice at Rutgers and Mick Cronin at UC the sky's the limit for the new conference.

MCNPA

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »

Good points and well made. Temples is every bit the program as is Syracuse and what Frank Dumphrets has done there measures up well against Boeheim's 900 wins and various national championships. And Memphis as well is the match for Pitt, especially since Campari left and allowed John Pastorino to catapult Memphis to national prominence. There is no doubt that moving from the A10 and CUSA respectfully will not at all affect either teams chance to win ballgames - just any successful D league team would be able transition smoothly to the NBA and just as a good 10K claimer often jumps up to win a grade 1 race. Likely these teams will in fact improve as they begin to recruit at the same high level as does DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence and Saint John's under Betelguese, when blue chippers were the order of the day because of the natural exposures they got playing in the big dance in the worlds most famous arena in the greatest city in the world.

Too, the ACC isn't, as the kids say, all that the cat meows. Besides overrated DeWK, perennial choksters UNC, a Boeheimless Syracuse (my sources tell me he'll never coach a game in the ACC), Pitt (who knows how long Dixon stays), NC State, Maryland, Wake, Virginia, and Florida, what else do they have? A bunch of teams at the bottom of the conference who tend to lose more often than they win. Unlike the BE, where all the teams at the top tend to win more games than they lose - which is a huge difference not apparent to most casual fans. And anyway none of those teams can hold a candle to West Virginia, much less traditional basketball powerhouses like Central Florida, Boise State, and Navy. With a healthy Jim Calhoun safely at UConn for another 10 or 20 years and up and comers like the classy Mike Rice at Rutgers and Mick Cronin at UC the sky's the limit for the new conference.

Besides the fact that Boeheimstein has one national championship, not "various" and Florida not being in the ACC, the rest is spot-on.  Fwiw Temple is only a few wins shy of Syracuse all-time.   Pitt's illustrious basketball history is quite young and not much different than how Pitt transitioned from Howland to Dixon albeit Pastner not the coach that Dixon is to date, but he's got plenty of years ahead of him.  Memphis draws better fan support than even Pitt and improved conference affiliation might give Memphis a boost on the recruiting trail. 

We lost some very good programs, but replaced them with some good ones as well, even if they are from lesser conferences.  I'm still not sure that this springboards ACC to the top conference when they haven't been near that the last few years.

sju89tr

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 10:33:39 AM »

Besides the fact that Boeheimstein has one national championship, not "various" and Florida not being in the ACC, the rest is spot-on.  Fwiw Temple is only a few wins shy of Syracuse all-time.   Pitt's illustrious basketball history is quite young and not much different than how Pitt transitioned from Howland to Dixon albeit Pastner not the coach that Dixon is to date, but he's got plenty of years ahead of him.  Memphis draws better fan support than even Pitt and improved conference affiliation might give Memphis a boost on the recruiting trail. 

We lost some very good programs, but replaced them with some good ones as well, even if they are from lesser conferences.  I'm still not sure that this springboards ACC to the top conference when they haven't been near that the last few years.

Losing Pitt West Va and Cuse definitely hurts but the basketball side of the conference will survive for now with very solid replacements. It is still a positive destination for kids all over the country because they will be exposed to so many different markets.

However if more defections happen such as UCONN, Louisville, and Cincinnati then we are in serious trouble as football and basketball schools will be difficult to secure.     

desco80

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 01:23:36 PM »

Losing Pitt West Va and Cuse definitely hurts but the basketball side of the conference will survive for now with very solid replacements. It is still a positive destination for kids all over the country because they will be exposed to so many different markets.

However if more defections happen such as UCONN, Louisville, and Cincinnati then we are in serious trouble as football and basketball schools will be difficult to secure.   

I agree with Sju89tr on this.   The teams we're losing do hurt, but the replacements are as good as we could find.   Temple and Memphis will fit in nicely.
But the BE's biggest concern has to be future losses.    I've come to a new realization though that I don't care anymore what happens to the Big East.   Because there's simply not enough room for the power conferences to absorb all these teams.   And Georgetown, Villanova, us, Marquette .. are all going to need to land somewhere.  We're in good company, and will land on our feet.   

Foad:  Navy and Boise aren't coming for basketball.   But your point is well taken.   

Last thing;  it's being glanced over how bad the basketball programs at Houston and SMU are.   Yes, Houston has history - but they've been pretty bad in a weak conference.   And I have my doubts what effect Larry Brown can have on a program that draws less fans than Fairfield.  (Seriously, SMU avgs less than 2k for home games... and we  invited them into the Big East).   

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »
"Last thing;  it's being glanced over how bad the basketball programs at Houston and SMU are.   Yes, Houston has history - but they've been pretty bad in a weak conference.   And I have my doubts what effect Larry Brown can have on a program that draws less fans than Fairfield.  (Seriously, SMU avgs less than 2k for home games... and we  invited them into the Big East)."

We invited SMU because they are in the 4th largest media market in the country (Dallas-FW). The Big East now has teams in 3 of the top 4 media markets. If SMU gets good under Larry Brown, people will show up.

ras

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »
"Last thing;  it's being glanced over how bad the basketball programs at Houston and SMU are.   Yes, Houston has history - but they've been pretty bad in a weak conference.   And I have my doubts what effect Larry Brown can have on a program that draws less fans than Fairfield.  (Seriously, SMU avgs less than 2k for home games... and we  invited them into the Big East)."

We invited SMU because they are in the 4th largest media market in the country (Dallas-FW). The Big East now has teams in 3 of the top 4 media markets. If SMU gets good under Larry Brown, people will show up.
We invited SMU because they are good in FB.