Rothstein on SJU

• 52 replies

Moose

Re: Rothstein on SJU
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 07:33:26 PM »
come on Jon! Bruins??

“@JonRothstein: UNLV's Anthony Bennett officially cleared by the NCAA. Bruins look legit Top Ten team to start the season.”

So much Bruins in Rebels.  Mint!
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
I wonder what freshman will be a part of the Rothstein comparison game

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 12:55:25 PM »
come on Jon! Bruins??

“@JonRothstein: UNLV's Anthony Bennett officially cleared by the NCAA. Bruins look legit Top Ten team to start the season.”

Can be taken as two separate thoughts. Nah, just another Rothstein gem.

crgreen

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »
come on Jon! Bruins??

Can be taken as two separate thoughts. Nah, just another Rothstein gem.

Understandable. Not hard to follow the train of thought that led to the gaffe.   This year UNLV will be led by a forward combo of Bennett and Jr. Mike Moser.   Whicn no doubt had him thinking of Last years  forward combo for UNLV -  Moser and Sr. Chase Stanback.  Both Moser and Stanback were transfers from th UCLA Bruins....

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
Rothstein's pre-season BE preview.  Has SJU no. 10 but a sleeper.

Disagree with having DePaul last, I think Providence is going to struggle especially if they fail to get Ledo. Also Cincy 3rd?  Wow.

Also does not have Obekpa as a impact freshman.  Him and JaKarr are two of the 10 best incoming freshmen in the BE, no doubt.

But for the most part a solid preview.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/30/rothstein-files-big-east-offseason-notebook-louisville-atop-early-power-rankings/

Moose

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »

Disagree with having DePaul last, I think Providence is going to struggle especially if they fail to get Ledo. Also Cincy 3rd?  Wow.

Also does not have Obekpa as a impact freshman.  Him and JaKarr are two of the 10 best incoming freshmen in the BE, no doubt.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/30/rothstein-files-big-east-offseason-notebook-louisville-atop-early-power-rankings/

I would put Gtown and Pitt higher than Cincy, ND and USF.

Not to sound like broken record but 1 and 2 are pretty set.  3-7 is mighty interesting.  I think we finish Top 7.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »

Not to sound like broken record but 1 and 2 are pretty set.  3-7 is mighty interesting.  I think we finish Top 7.

I think losing Melo, Waiters, Scop and Joseph is too much to recover from immediately, unless you have a recruiting haul like UK, And SU didn't. I don't understand anyone can think they're a lock at #2? I'd put Cinci ahead of them. Notre Dame too. Pitt has to start winning again, before I buy a few top recruits will change everything. That freshman center is the key to their season. He has to be great from day one.

Moose

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »

I think losing Melo, Waiters, Scop and Joseph is too much to recover from immediately, unless you have a recruiting haul like UK, And SU didn't. I don't understand anyone can think they're a lock at #2? I'd put Cinci ahead of them. Notre Dame too. Pitt has to start winning again, before I buy a few top recruits will change everything. That freshman center is the key to their season. He has to be great from day one.

Cincy lost their 2 and 3 leading scorers.  Leading post presence rebounder included.

Rakeem Xmas was a top 50 recruit starting every game and will have chance to shine.  Carter Williams is everyone's breakout candidate.  The kid they redshirted last year is a sharpshooter.  It's Cuse.  They will zone teams to death.

DFF6

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »

Cincy lost their 2 and 3 leading scorers.  Leading post presence rebounder included.

Rakeem Xmas was a top 50 recruit starting every game and will have chance to shine.  Carter Williams is everyone's breakout candidate.  The kid they redshirted last year is a sharpshooter.  It's Cuse.  They will zone teams to death.

+1.  I don't see Cincy in the top 5 this year.

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »
I know they are nice players but unless they do ridiculous things it is doubtful that 2 players, Melvin and Council, from two projected bottom feeder teams will make 1st Team All-BE.  Players from much better teams, even with stats that might be less then those players, will always get larger consideration for that type of recognition.

desco80

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »
I know they are nice players but unless they do ridiculous things it is doubtful that 2 players, Melvin and Council, from two projected bottom feeder teams will make 1st Team All-BE.  Players from much better teams, even with stats that might be less then those players, will always get larger consideration for that type of recognition.

I think you're right, and I was thinking the same thing when I read Rothstein's list. 
I think Cooley, D'angelo, Triche, Behanan; guys like that all have a pretty solid chance at 1st team All Big East if they have solid years and their team is good.

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »

I think you're right, and I was thinking the same thing when I read Rothstein's list. 
I think Cooley, D'angelo, Triche, Behanan; guys like that all have a pretty solid chance at 1st team All Big East if they have solid years and their team is good.

Behanan is a tremendous player, love him.  If there were a draft of BE players by BE coaches Behanan, Southerland, Harrison would go ahead of Councila and Melvin.  No doubt in my mind.

Also no Jamal Branch on impact players who have waited???

jr49

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »
Melvin a real good player. Does many things well, and getting better at all of them. Good strength. His ability shows through without having real good players around him. I hope coach P can move them up before Melvin is done. A real good team in the middle of Big 10 country is the kind of thing that helps us reclaim the mantle. Texas a fine market, and I'll be pulling hard for both those teams. On the football side they better then whats leaving now. The BE is in great markets. If the members dedicate themselves and hang tough, they could be something better then what came before. Please, no more eeffnn snakes,