Realistisc Expectations This Season

• 106 replies
Re: Realistisc Expectations This Season
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »
I think Sanchez is a ton better then what we are expecting. And now WE have the shotblocker waiting so you can take chances on Defense. Guys like Amir and Pointer should kill the passing lanes

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:49 PM »
We need excellent point gaurd play, shot blocking and intimidation from the center position and everyone else from last year to raise their game. We will see what we get from the new comers. I say we finish with 19 wins.

crgreen

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 05:59:56 AM »
We need excellent point gaurd play, shot blocking and intimidation from the center position and everyone else from last year to raise their game. We will see what we get from the new comers. I say we finish with 19 wins.

I'm calling 24 wins, minimum,  barring injuries.

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
I agree with RedStormyNight, after Harrison, who are we trusting to consistently score - especially in the half court set? Our defense will be fantastic, but most of our players are NOT the strongest jump shooters and we cannot rely on the break for all of our points.

It will be interesting to see who emerges offensively. I think Amir demonstrated that he could be that guy imo.

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »
I think 8 will get the bulk of the minutes.  And i think Harrison, Sanchez, and Amir carry the scoring load.  so the question is, can we win consistently with those 8 guys?

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Gift
Marco

This sounds like a 17-13 team to me.

ras

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »
I think 8 will get the bulk of the minutes.  And i think Harrison, Sanchez, and Amir carry the scoring load.  so the question is, can we win consistently with those 8 guys?

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Gift
Marco

You forgot another important piece, Sampson.

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 01:00:33 PM »
I love cr's optimism.  I would go with 21 wins.  With Lavin back, and a full roster, I foresee an NCAA bid.

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Gift
Marco

You're right:

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Sampson
Greene
Branch
Obekpa

still think with sampson we are a 17-13 team.

ras

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 01:18:09 PM »
I think Marco gets more minutes than people think. He is the best shooting threat other then DLO. I love CRs optimism, but I think it is to lofty. Id love to see a 20 win season and an NCAA berth, which I think is very possible.

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Gift
Marco

You're right:

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Sampson
Greene
Branch
Obekpa

What if you add Pointer to the mix?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Gift
Marco

You're right:

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Sampson
Greene
Branch
Obekpa

Going to have to because he's going to get minutes.   It becomes more apparent with the depth  we have.  How many Big East teams can have a guy like Pointer omitted from a list like that and on the bench?

22 wins and NCAA.

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Gift
Marco

You're right:

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Sampson
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Marco

i think dom is a great athlete. but i honestly don't see him making much of an impact. he'll play, but not the kind of minutes the 8 above will. i think the 8 core guys give us the best balance of defense and offense. obviously depth plays a role, but that's only if all the guys on the team can contribute and not be a liability (turnovers, no offense, lack of d, etc)

the title of this thread is "Realistic Expectations".  I think mine are pretty "realistic".  Now if i put my optimistic / emotional hat on, i'd say we can squeeze out 20 wins.

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Gift
Marco

You're right:

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Sampson
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Marco

i think dom is a great athlete. but i honestly don't see him making much of an impact. he'll play, but not the kind of minutes the 8 above will. i think the 8 core guys give us the best balance of defense and offense. obviously depth plays a role, but that's only if all the guys on the team can contribute and not be a liability (turnovers, no offense, lack of d, etc)

the title of this thread is "Realistic Expectations".  I think mine are pretty "realistic".  Now if i put my optimistic / emotional hat on, i'd say we can squeeze out 20 wins.

Pointer was impactful last year averaging 6.5pts 4.7 rebs and 1.6 steals per game as a freshman.  If he improves those numbers even marginally, he's a 9/6 guy and that is quite impactful.  In addition,mic you watched Pointer last year, you saw a kid that while raw, changed a lot of games with defense and creating turnovers.  I think his offense and hopefully shooting will improve.  That goes for all of our players.  Pretty sure Dom and the staff know his major weaknesses.  I'd never count a warrior like Pointer out of anything.  That kid is a gamer and a big reason I think we can be so good over next few years.  When he learns to runs out his game, watch out.  He doesn't take plays off.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »
Dom's offense was incredibly raw. Let's see what he's learned this summer before judge him. One thing we know is that he was often playing the 4/5 in the BE as a freshman. Never saw him bitch once. Kid is tough, and hard working.

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 02:34:36 PM »

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Gift
Marco

You're right:

Harrison
Sanchez
Amir
Sampson
Greene
Branch
Obekpa
Marco

If Dom Pointer and Gods'gift are our 9th and 10th men. We are really in business.
This is the most excited I have ever been entering a season, if we go 17-13 ill be disappointed. My expectations are 20+ and top half of the big east.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
I love cr's optimism.  I would go with 21 wins.  With Lavin back, and a full roster, I foresee an NCAA bid.
Optimism ? That's CR being negative.

I think he predicted 29 wins last year. lol

desco80

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
I'm with Stormy and Stevey; I think 17 wins and bubble is just about right.    I think we'll struggle a good amount coming out of the gate, wouldn't be surprised to see us 3-4 or 2-5 after November.

But, while I don't think we make the NCAAs, I think we're much more dangerous by the end of the season.   I think we're a good team by the time Big East Tournament rolls around.   A few wins there, including some upsets, would not surprise me. 

dR3w

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 02:49:12 PM »
I'm a pessimist ... I say 15-15.

StJ has one proven scorer, everyone else is a mystery.  The new additions haven't proved anything at this level yet, and a lot of the guys from last year need to prove they can score more consistently than last year. 

That depth that people keep referring to, means players inexperienced in the system, being asked to play against tougher competition than most of them have faced before.  Who knows if the team will run a whole new offense and/or defense as last year, now that Dunlap is gone.  If it is a new system, then everyone will be learning.

I have seen the optimism too much before.  Guys like Nuri who played JC are supposed to come in and be all-world, and sometimes reality is far from the truth.

I hope I am wrong.  I will watch every game and root for them to win, but I just don't think you throw all these new faces together, and return one guy who can score consistently and finish 4th in the Big East.  Just my opinion.

I'll take my responses off the air  ...  ;D

crgreen

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
Optimism ? That's CR being negative.

I think he predicted 29 wins last year. lol

The thread title was "realistic".

My PREDICTION is 40-0 with a natonal title.  Unless we meet up with UCLA in postseason.  Then make it 39-1.   :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:17:41 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
Like I say, gotta move it d'ahead unless you Nostradom carryin a sac.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.