Predicitions

• 91 replies
Re: Predicitions
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »
was at a sju practice one afternoon and fran f. displeased with the lackluster effort told bayne and ed brown jr. to "get out of my gym".....
the walk ons played far harder

Poison

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2012, 09:47:20 AM »
was at a sju practice one afternoon and fran f. displeased with the lackluster effort told bayne and ed brown jr. to "get out of my gym".....

Ed Brown. Completely forgot about him. He was a Mahoney recruit. Can anyone name the rest of the players in his recruiting class?

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »

Ed Brown. Completely forgot about him. He was a Mahoney recruit. Can anyone name the rest of the players in his recruiting class?

Ty Grant.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »

Ty Grant.

I believe that was also around the time we took on the immortal Mike Mennifield, out of the JC ranks.  I remember Brian used to start him, but he never really got more then 10 minutes a game.

By the time Fran came on board, he was using Minniefeld strickly to foul late in close games we were trailing.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:18:18 PM by sju61982 »

ras

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
 Just saw USA todays college BB preview. Only got to skim it. They project us to come in last place in the BE.

LJSA

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »

Brown averaged like 27 and 17 his senior year, and wasn't named to his conference team, much less All-Suffolk or All-Long Island. Even back then, coaches saw him for what he was. I thought he had good hands and was quick for a fat lazy guy, though. Could have amounted to much more. Bayne had good stats on a tough team, but probably shouldn't have been here. Or should have not been allowed to play until he was 240. I'm wondering how much he weighs now.

Poison

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2012, 01:21:19 AM »
Ty Grant was the diamond in the rough. Mennefield and Brown were totally overmatched against absolutely everyone. Mahoney pulled in a horrid class after Lopez/Hamilton. He failed to land a pg, and insisted on sticking w Mo Brown. The 95-96 season IMO was our 2nd worst ever.

MCNPA

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 01:58:38 AM »
Ed brown actually had a lot of skills for a big guy.  He was just amazingly lazy and never saw his potential.  He could have been good. 

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:55 AM »
That era on LI we get Fred Lyson, Tom Bayne, Ed Brown and say bye to Wally Z.
Man.....

Poison

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 08:42:46 AM »
Man.....

Fred Lyson was the best of that group. I really wonder if Ron Rutledge ever saw Bayne play before see signed him.

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 09:08:13 AM »
i believe fred lyson "retired" after his junior year....never could find out why.

paultzman

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2012, 09:52:39 AM »
i believe fred lyson "retired" after his junior year....never could find out why.

Shoulder injury I believe.

Moose

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »

Were you there when Fran dropped his pants too?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »

Shoulder injury I believe.

Lyson played as a senior.

92-93 was the Cain year. 93-94 was S.Scott's senior year. 94-95 was Lopez/Hamilton as freshman. 95-96 he was a senior. We were awful.

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »
Man.....

Fred Lyson was the best of that group. I really wonder if Ron Rutledge ever saw Bayne play before see signed him.

He was the last schollie.

Coming off the Elite 8 run. Lou C, Mahoney and Ronnie R had to look to replace Sealy, Werdann, Buchanan, Sproling and T Mullin who was all gonna be seniors.

They got:
Mo Brown - who was highly rated outta Grady but was an undersized 2 not a 1 and could never adapt.

Fred Lyson - high scorer on LI who was a very good role player as a frosh but fell apart from then.

Rowan Barrett - talented but raw from Toronto burbs who was recruited over first wit James Scott and then Felipe. Blew up the later half of his senior year when he showed some touch and range along wit his athleticism. Became a stalwart of Canadian bball and was Steve Nash's fave finisher. 

Charles Minlend - one of STJ's standard 6'6" PF like Billy S, Lamont Middleton, Ty Grant, Glove, etc. A warrior who played well enough to push Roshown McLeod back a bit.

Tom Bayne - well we know, we know. 

« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2012, 11:00:44 AM »
freddy i doubt it.  by the way who is the leading rebounder in sju history and 4th leading scorer? zendon.  but he would drive franny nuts as he always tried to dribble in the backcourt after a rebound.  at which time franny would stomp his foot....until zendon would pass the ball.

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »
freddy i doubt it.  by the way who is the leading rebounder in sju history and 4th leading scorer? zendon.  but he would drive franny nuts as he always tried to dribble in the backcourt after a rebound.  at which time franny would stomp his foot....until zendon would pass the ball.
Not sure big Z eclipsed George Johnson's record for all time leading rebounder.

crgreen

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »

Nope, not even close - Zendon 949, Johnson 1250. 

redslope

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

Zendon also trails Tony Jackson and Sonny Dove in rebounds and they did their "board cleaning" in only 3 years.

But to Zendon's credit no one got to the FT line more than he did

crgreen

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »

Zendon also trails Tony Jackson and Sonny Dove in rebounds and they did their "board cleaning" in only 3 years.

But to Zendon's credit no one got to the FT line more than he did

A very UNDERRATED talent --- IF---you can HIT your FT's!

Can anyone explain to me (since I didn't follow SJU during his time here) how Zendon could drop from an 80% FT shooter  (204 of 256) as a sophomore, to a 65% FT shooter (170 of 260) as a Senior?   Was it mechanical? Mental? Injury?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:35:43 PM by crgreen »