Big East media day...

• 95 replies

sju89tr

Re: Big East media day...
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
This Pitino article reminds me of Digger coming into N.Y. every season in the 70's and 80's and explaining to the press what was wrong with N.Y. college b.b. This drove Louie and myself crazy. Just like then, do we need to hear from these outsiders what our shortcomings may have been. In fairness to his predecessors, Lavin is recruiting kids to a very different university then they did. It took the good fathers decades to realize St. John's is a university of national scope. However there were the occasional recruits outside the city such as one of my all time favorites Lavor Posell. With that said may Lavin continue to recruit nationally but maintain a strong recruiting footprint in St. John's own backyard.

Defnitely true, lets not forget we had no dorms, and I am sure over the years many a parent didn't consider sending their kid to NY when they needed to live off campus. Of course we also had the plus of having local kids living at home and getting the stipend.

The out of towners that come to mind were Sproling from Denver, Broadnax from Florida, Postell from Georgia, Turner from Virginia via LA, Luyk from Spain, and Baldi from Italy.   

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »
Bootsy from Baltimore, Hatten from Baltimore, Barrett from Canada, Jasilonous from Lithuania

NYCoffey

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 02:33:27 PM »
Not sure if this was already posted.

avin in spotlight at Big East Media Day
October, 17, 2012
Oct 17
3:27
PM ET
By Kieran Darcy | ESPNNewYork.com

Recommend0
    Tweet2
    Comments1
    Email
    Print

The Steve Lavin comeback tour continued Wednesday, as the St. John's coach worked the room at Big East Media Day at the New York Athletic Club.

Lavin was absent from this event one year ago, after undergoing surgery to treat prostate cancer just two weeks before.

"Cancer-free, and feel 100 percent better than I did at this time last year," Lavin said Wednesday. "And probably 75 percent, in terms of where I'd like to be in terms of stamina. But that's natural -- that's a normal [amount] for this stage. It's pretty common."

Lavin missed almost all of last season -- returning for four games in November, but then stepping away again for the duration, feeling he had come back too soon.

The coach reflected on that decision Wednesday. "I wasn't gonna be able to coach the team, fully recuperate, and sign eight players," Lavin said. "So we chose two of the three that we felt would (best) move the program forward -- which was to fully recuperate and focus on my health, and then to focus on a strong recruiting class."

He did add eight new players -- including forward JaKarr Sampson, center Chris Obekpa and guard Jamal Branch -- all ranked among the ESPN 100 as high school seniors. He has four returning starters, including guard D'Angelo Harrison, who was named to the preseason All-Big East second team on Wednesday. Yet St. John's was picked to finish 10th in the 15-team conference in the preseason coaches poll.

"I think where we're picked at this point makes sense, it's logical -- because coaches, members of the media who follow our team, understand how difficult it is to win big when your roster is dominated by underclassmen," Lavin said. "So naturally, because of our youth, people are picking us toward the bottom of the conference."

"We're very enthused about our roster, in terms of personnel and the complementary pieces," Lavin added. "But we're also realistic and we understand there's a maturation process. ... What will determine whether we have a successful season will be how quickly we mature, come of age, and learn to do the things that it takes to be successful at this level."

With so many freshmen and sophomores on the team, Lavin said he will try to simulate game conditions in practice as much as possible in the weeks leading up the Red Storm's regular season opener against Detroit on Nov. 13. That includes having referees present, wearing game uniforms and turning on the scoreboards.

"We'll get to the point even where we have a pregame talk in the locker room -- pregame meal, pregame talk in the locker room, then we'll have our position meetings which we do, and then we'll take the court," Lavin said. "That way we get 15 to 20 games in before we've ever tipped it up against Detroit."

He hasn't chosen a starting lineup, but plans to take advantage of his team's depth -- a stark change from last season, when the Red Storm had a six-man rotation down the stretch.

"If we stay injury-free, I think we'll have the ability to rotate fresh players onto the court, and as a result of our style of play, we could wear down opponents in a cumulative fashion over the course of the game," Lavin said. "We want a baseline-to-baseline attacking style of basketball."

Harrison, who averaged 16.8 points per game last season and broke the school's freshman scoring record, plans to prove some people wrong.

"It was lower than I thought," said Harrison, when asked about St. John's ranking in the preseason poll. "But definitely motivation for all of us, cause we're definitely gonna be better than 10th in the Big East."

The Big East did receive a record 11 bids to the NCAA tournament just two seasons ago. But St. John's can't count on that happening again.

The Big Dance, Lavin said, remains the target. "Every year our goal is to make the NCAA tournament," Lavin said. "And that's the way it should be at St. John's."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/4613/lavin-back-in-spotlight-at-big-east-media-day

jr49

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »
Oh come on guys, Kilpatrick is really really good. He was an integral part of a Sweet 16 team. I wish he was here.
Guys like Harrison and Melvin might be better than their pre season rank, but they won't get the respect from BE coaches until their numbers produce wins. I don't understand how Council gets it.
I thought I remembered Melvin being all BE last year.

paultzman

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
“@KieranDarcy: Headed to Queens for St. John's hoops media day -- you can watch on ESPN3, starting just after noon: http://t.co/MbgntGmj #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »
Must be slow news day.

“@newsdaymarcus: SJU has heard rumors of ACC interest but no contact. Would SJU be interested? Options open.”

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »
“@DalyDoseOfHoops: Steve Lavin: "Christian Jones is one of the more consistent players in making decisions and judgments." #stjbb”

Poison

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »
Must be slow news day.

“@newsdaymarcus: SJU has heard rumors of ACC interest but no contact. Would SJU be interested? Options open.”

Even without a team, we'd still beat Syracuse in football 23-13.

paultzman

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
FWIW

“@Kieran_Lynch: Consensus most developed player so far: Chris Obekpa.”

MCNPA

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2012, 04:02:27 PM »
FWIW

If that's the case, we'll be very, very good this year...

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
FWIW

This is encouraging. Man this kid could be an absolute beast if he develops an offensive game.

paultzman

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2012, 04:15:03 PM »
For Choz!

“@MichelleYuSNY: Red Storm hoops media day. Catching up w/ #stjbb coach Steve Lavin. Watch the interview on sportsnite tonight! http://t.co/3vgoVBne

redslope

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2012, 04:21:57 PM »
“@KieranDarcy: Headed to Queens for St. John's hoops media day -- you can watch on ESPN3, starting just after noon: http://t.co/MbgntGmj #stjbb”

thanks for posting the link, I enjoyed the braodcast.  great to hear coaches and players.  they have a great attitude for the upcoming season and seem to be in sync with each other.  Also enjoyed women's coach--he came off very well and is respected by his players.  Hearing him and Ms. Smith discuss beating UConn at Gampel on their senior day with a 99 game winning streak and what it meant to the program was great!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:22:22 PM by redslope »

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
For Choz!

“@MichelleYuSNY: Red Storm hoops media day. Catching up w/ #stjbb coach Steve Lavin. Watch the interview on sportsnite tonight! http://t.co/3vgoVBne

My man Paultz supplyin the talent!

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: At @STJ_Basketball media day was struck by how personable this young team is. Losing could change that, but seems like high character team”

paultzman

« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »
Sure Jones will contribute, but this is getting a bit much IMO.

“@GregLogan1: #stjbb coach Steve Lavin said 13th scholarship went to F Christian Jones, unknown who "fell out of sky, now might start. #thunderousdunks”

MCNPA

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »

“@GregLogan1: #stjbb coach Steve Lavin said 13th scholarship went to F Christian Jones, unknown who "fell out of sky, now might start. #thunderousdunks”

If Lavin is saying he might start, it's much much different than speculation.  He must be better than we all originally thought.

paultzman

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »

If Lavin is saying he might start, it's much much different than speculation.  He must be better than we all originally thought.

Love Lavin, but he is the master of hyperbole often.

Poison

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »

On one hand, it's great that he's better than expected. On the other hand, that means that someone has dropped down on the depth chart?

So how would this effect the starting 5? Here's my guess at PT based on Lavin's tweet.

C- Gift/Obekpa/Sanchez/Jones
PF - Jones/Gift/Sanchez
SF - Sampson/Garrett/Jones/Pointer/Bourgault/Balamou
SG - Bourgault/Harrison/Greene/Balamou
PG - Harrison/Greene/Pointer

Thoughts?

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
For Choz!

she's pretty damn hot