BE Media Contract

• 360 replies

Tiznow

Re: BE Media Contract
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2012, 10:57:34 PM »
Gee!
“@SIPeteThamel: BREAKING: @sinow obtains MD projected financial #s for B10 move. Will make nealy $100 million more by 2020. http://t.co/Ix78bS4h

This is a projected number coming from a school that just cut six or seven sports because they could not manage a budget. 

I hope that these numbers are never achieved.  These overpaid University Presidents seem to have no loyalties at all.  They all sell out to the highest bidder.  College Athletics is poorer for it. 

I dont know about the rest of you, but if my cable bill goes up for a Rutgers versus Northwestern game I'll stop paying it and spend my money on something else.

Tiznow

« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2012, 10:59:33 PM »
As for Johnny basketball - we can wind up in the CHSAA and I'll be at the games.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
St. John's possible ACC move?
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2012, 05:36:46 AM »
Football has been the driving force in the waves of conference realignment that have washed over college sports for more than a year. Now there is something different. Schools better known for their basketball programs could be on the move: specifically St. John’s and Georgetown out of the Big East.

The latest story to bring this to the fore is Saturday’s report on ESPN.com that Maryland of the Atlantic Coast Conference is in negotiations with the Big Ten to become the 13th team in that conference, and if that happens, Rutgers is expected to become the 14th. The key part of the backdrop is the recent decision by Notre Dame to leave the Big East and place all its teams — except for the powerhouse independent football program — in the ACC beginning next year.

“I understand the Maryland side of the rumor is legitimate,” a Big East official told the Daily News.

Nothing is necessarily going down, so everyone keep your heads. But the possibilities are palpable.

Here’s what it looked like before Saturday’s report: The ACC was at 15 teams (but only 14 in football) and could need a travel partner for the Fighting Irish in non-football sports. It made St. John’s a potential candidate — and only a candidate at this point, so don’t get carried away — because the Johnnies could bring the ACC the New York market.

It would mean Syracuse and Pittsburgh would be again playing games at the Garden and so would Duke, North Carolina and N.C. State along with the rest of the ACC. It has a logic to it.

In an interview with the campus newspaper conducted Wednesday, St. John’s President Rev. Donald J. Harrington said no one at the ACC had reached out to St. John’s.

Now factor in Saturday’s report: The ACC could potentially lose all the attention it was getting in Washington, D.C., because of the enormous interest in Maryland there. Georgetown — actually located in D.C. and with a lot of national interest as well — would be an acquisition that retains that market. There is some logic there, too.

But if the ACC is losing a football program — and would again have an even number of teams competing in the sport — does a non-football acquisition like St. John’s or Georgetown meet its needs? It doesn’t. Nothing has to happen.

The ACC still has enough programs next year to qualify to play a huge income-generating championship game. But might it be better served by courting Connecticut, because it plays football and has a strong basketball program, as well.

Well, at least the basketball program was strong while recently retired Jim Calhoun was at the helm. UConn doesn’t bring the New York or Boston television markets to the table. Its basketball future can’t be quantified. In fact, the school brings with it only a passion to escape the Big East and move up like a social climber.

So now you ask the obvious question: What about a full raid on the Big East? The ACC could add Georgetown, St. John’s and a football-playing school like UConn or Louisville (which embarrasses the Big East in its desire to leave at every turn). Getting two football schools — Louisville and UConn — would be more tidy, and then the ACC could choose between New York and D.C., but what it is worth to the conference in actual money is a factor. Or the ACC could do nothing and wait.

St. John’s “front office” has people on both sides of the issue. There are the conservatives who like where they are, enjoy being a part of the Big East Conference they helped to create and value loyalty. Others see the group of high-profile talents — witness men’s basketball coach Steve Lavin and men’s soccer coach Dave Masur — and feel St. John’s belongs in one of the safe, elite conferences.

“Everything that happens at St. John’s is going to be through one person (Harrington), and hard to tell how closely he is minding their athletics department,” one high-placed ACC source said.

Harrington brought up the ACC rumors unsolicited in an interview Wednesday with the St. John’s student paper, The Torch. That’s when he said there had been no contact about a possible jump.

According to another St. John’s insider, “It just doesn’t seem to be in the cards, no matter how up to the challenge we are. Guys like Lavin and Masur can take anyone on. But there is a sense that the highest guys are weighing what the Big East means to us. And it’s not about how they see our future.”
Maryland is looking at paying $50 million to leave. The school voted recently against the measure to push the defection cost from $20 million to that number. But Maryland was one of only two that objected (Florida State being the other dissenter) and those are the circumstances in place. The Terrapins had to shutter some intercollegiate athletic programs because of cost concerns the past two years. The Big Ten’s payout is larger than the ACC’s and potentially a windfall, especially if the league delivers the Capitol market.

Nothing may happen with St. John’s and Georgetown. The ACC holds most of the cards. But there are some very intriguing options. St. John’s against Syracuse, Duke and North Carolina? At the Garden? There wouldn’t be a hotter ticket in the city.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/conference-realignment-store-st-john-rutgers-article-1.1203850?pgno=1#ixzz2Cl1KOxPC

I didn't see this article posted anywhere, so if it already has been please delete this. I thought this was potentially great news if it's true. It looks like the Big East is on it's final legs with Rutgers leaving, and most likely Louisville, UConn or both, and there has also been talk that SD St., and Boise St. are looking to go back the MWC.

At this point a move to the ACC seems to be a dream scenario given the way things are shaping up. I couldn't think of a better solution then to leave with Georgetown, UConn, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Pitt, and rejoin former Big East brethren BC, VT and Miami in the ACC. Hopefully Rev. Harrington does whatever he can to keep our athletic program in an elite conference going forward. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:37:27 AM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
If and when the ACC loses FSU, Clemson, Miami and Va Tech to SEC/BIG12 and possibly Gtech and Virginia to big 10 they will be in our (Big East) current position. The Big 12 currently has 10 teams, the big 10 currently has 12 teams make it 14 with Maryland and Rutgers headed there. The SEC currently has 14 teams and the PAC 12 has 12 teams. Now if you take the likes of Uconn, louisville and cincinnati and move them to the ACC you are looking at the weakest football conference once things settle down. I'm assuming there will be 4 16 team super conferences. Now i understand why coach K is a bit worried how the ACC will survive as he knows it, i just hope for our sake the ACC will do what the Big East didn't do and put a little bit more focus on basketball. I know football is king $$$ but if the NCAA has no problem letting schools play musical conferences why not let schools be members for just football or basketball, its clearly past the point of focusing on regions for each conference.For example if SDSU can be a Big East member for football only why shouldn't it work that way for other sports?

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »
it's up to father harrington to make any big decisions???  god save us.

paultzman

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
“@ESPNAndyKatz: UConn still in the dark on ACC next move. Don't assume Huskies. Louisville is a serious player here to bump out UConn for 14th FB ACC spot.”

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
“@ESPNAndyKatz: UConn still in the dark on ACC next move. Don't assume Huskies. Louisville is a serious player here to bump out UConn for 14th FB ACC spot.”

Two money hungry hypocrites.

Jim Calhoun was so furious at BC in 2004 for leaving the Big East that he said he would refuse to schedule them going forward as an OOC opponent.  Rick Pitino laments the idea of Syracuse leaving the Big East.  Yet both schools are going to spend the next few days tripping over each other to get a coveted ACC invite.

Re: St. John's possible ACC move?
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
Football has been the driving force in the waves of conference realignment that have washed over college sports for more than a year. Now there is something different. Schools better known for their basketball programs could be on the move: specifically St. John’s and Georgetown out of the Big East.

The latest story to bring this to the fore is Saturday’s report on ESPN.com that Maryland of the Atlantic Coast Conference is in negotiations with the Big Ten to become the 13th team in that conference, and if that happens, Rutgers is expected to become the 14th. The key part of the backdrop is the recent decision by Notre Dame to leave the Big East and place all its teams — except for the powerhouse independent football program — in the ACC beginning next year.

“I understand the Maryland side of the rumor is legitimate,” a Big East official told the Daily News.

Nothing is necessarily going down, so everyone keep your heads. But the possibilities are palpable.

Here’s what it looked like before Saturday’s report: The ACC was at 15 teams (but only 14 in football) and could need a travel partner for the Fighting Irish in non-football sports. It made St. John’s a potential candidate — and only a candidate at this point, so don’t get carried away — because the Johnnies could bring the ACC the New York market.

It would mean Syracuse and Pittsburgh would be again playing games at the Garden and so would Duke, North Carolina and N.C. State along with the rest of the ACC. It has a logic to it.

In an interview with the campus newspaper conducted Wednesday, St. John’s President Rev. Donald J. Harrington said no one at the ACC had reached out to St. John’s.

Now factor in Saturday’s report: The ACC could potentially lose all the attention it was getting in Washington, D.C., because of the enormous interest in Maryland there. Georgetown — actually located in D.C. and with a lot of national interest as well — would be an acquisition that retains that market. There is some logic there, too.

But if the ACC is losing a football program — and would again have an even number of teams competing in the sport — does a non-football acquisition like St. John’s or Georgetown meet its needs? It doesn’t. Nothing has to happen.

The ACC still has enough programs next year to qualify to play a huge income-generating championship game. But might it be better served by courting Connecticut, because it plays football and has a strong basketball program, as well.

Well, at least the basketball program was strong while recently retired Jim Calhoun was at the helm. UConn doesn’t bring the New York or Boston television markets to the table. Its basketball future can’t be quantified. In fact, the school brings with it only a passion to escape the Big East and move up like a social climber.

So now you ask the obvious question: What about a full raid on the Big East? The ACC could add Georgetown, St. John’s and a football-playing school like UConn or Louisville (which embarrasses the Big East in its desire to leave at every turn). Getting two football schools — Louisville and UConn — would be more tidy, and then the ACC could choose between New York and D.C., but what it is worth to the conference in actual money is a factor. Or the ACC could do nothing and wait.

St. John’s “front office” has people on both sides of the issue. There are the conservatives who like where they are, enjoy being a part of the Big East Conference they helped to create and value loyalty. Others see the group of high-profile talents — witness men’s basketball coach Steve Lavin and men’s soccer coach Dave Masur — and feel St. John’s belongs in one of the safe, elite conferences.

“Everything that happens at St. John’s is going to be through one person (Harrington), and hard to tell how closely he is minding their athletics department,” one high-placed ACC source said.

Harrington brought up the ACC rumors unsolicited in an interview Wednesday with the St. John’s student paper, The Torch. That’s when he said there had been no contact about a possible jump.

According to another St. John’s insider, “It just doesn’t seem to be in the cards, no matter how up to the challenge we are. Guys like Lavin and Masur can take anyone on. But there is a sense that the highest guys are weighing what the Big East means to us. And it’s not about how they see our future.”
Maryland is looking at paying $50 million to leave. The school voted recently against the measure to push the defection cost from $20 million to that number. But Maryland was one of only two that objected (Florida State being the other dissenter) and those are the circumstances in place. The Terrapins had to shutter some intercollegiate athletic programs because of cost concerns the past two years. The Big Ten’s payout is larger than the ACC’s and potentially a windfall, especially if the league delivers the Capitol market.

Nothing may happen with St. John’s and Georgetown. The ACC holds most of the cards. But there are some very intriguing options. St. John’s against Syracuse, Duke and North Carolina? At the Garden? There wouldn’t be a hotter ticket in the city.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/conference-realignment-store-st-john-rutgers-article-1.1203850?pgno=1#ixzz2Cl1KOxPC

I didn't see this article posted anywhere, so if it already has been please delete this. I thought this was potentially great news if it's true. It looks like the Big East is on it's final legs with Rutgers leaving, and most likely Louisville, UConn or both, and there has also been talk that SD St., and Boise St. are looking to go back the MWC.

At this point a move to the ACC seems to be a dream scenario given the way things are shaping up. I couldn't think of a better solution then to leave with Georgetown, UConn, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Pitt, and rejoin former Big East brethren BC, VT and Miami in the ACC. Hopefully Rev. Harrington does whatever he can to keep our athletic program in an elite conference going forward. What do you guys think?
My prediction from quite some time ago may come true after all.  I predicted, as some others did in a different form (projecting it to remain the Beast), that a super basketball conference would emerge from the ACC and Beast, only because I knew the analysts who predicted 4 football super-conferences were correct.  The math just left the ACC and Beast to eliminate some basketball "chaff" and keep about 16-20 basketball schools.  I had no idea MD would definitely go to the B1G (although I hoped it), so that is a fly in my basketball junkie ointment.

Nonetheless, the fact not being reported on is academic research.  This is an area I'm linked with at UMD.  THAT is the big money, more so than around $100Mil over 5 years for athletics.  You read me right... MD clears 30-50% Admin expenses for any Fed research brought in.  The B1G top to bottom has larger numbers in research dollars brought in.  It is why PSU went to the B1G (got it right out of the horses's mouth from my co-worker's dad, who was assistant to the VPR of PSU years ago b4 the B1G move).

MSU is 2nd in the nation in Nuclear Physics.  They just built a $600Mil National Center for Nuclear Physics.  Do not be surprised (and remember this piece) when you read that MD built a National Center for CyberSecurity or some other MD specialty in the next 5 years - it's coming - and it's bigger than the sports money.

Moose

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »

Two money hungry hypocrites.

Jim Calhoun was so furious at BC in 2004 for leaving the Big East that he said he would refuse to schedule them going forward as an OOC opponent.  Rick Pitino laments the idea of Syracuse leaving the Big East.  Yet both schools are going to spend the next few days tripping over each other to get a coveted ACC invite.

But to be fair that was the coaches.  The Presidents and ADs are running the shows.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
Mack has a good sense of humor & maybe has a decent slant on all this stuff. Some things are just out of your control. don't shoot me, but if morph into a Xavier type program, I'm ok. Be in the hunt and see what happens.

“@CoachChrisMack: Xavier expected to announce its decision to switch to the AFC North later today. Roger Goodell bobblehead night much anticipated....”

paultzman

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »
Gov. Christie will donate his size 90 fleecy to Rutgers w Big Ten logo!

“@afegyveresiSNY: At 2pm today, @SNYtv will air the #Rutgers news conference live. @Jonas_SNY & @LennRobbins host #SNY's coverage. @ChrisCarlinSNY is on-site”

sju89tr

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
It's inevitable that UCONN and Louisville leave, probably along with Cincinnati. I kind of hope at this point that it happens sooner than later so we move on. Just want a basketball only conference then play a solid out of conf schedule. Nothing else we can do as we don't have football. There are plenty of very solid basketball schools to make up a mega conference. 

paultzman

« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
It's inevitable that UCONN and Louisville leave, probably along with Cincinnati. I kind of hope at this point that it happens sooner than later so we move on. Just want a basketball only conference then play a solid out of conf schedule. Nothing else we can do as we don't have football. There are plenty of very solid basketball schools to make up a mega conference. 

Agree Ted!

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
I'd take Louisville any day of the week. 

sju89tr

« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »

Agree Ted!

When all is said and done, you will have the Pac 12, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, and ACC as the power football basketball conferences. The Mountain West and Conf USA as the next tier football basketball.

The A10 will be killed by the new Big East as the superior non football conference. If you don't have football, the Conf USA basketball schools will go to the Big East. The Big East may form a west division and assume the WCC.

What I don't want to see at this point is to lose UCONN Cincinnati and UCONN and add East Carolina, and two other schools that have a football team and a sub par basketball program.

Best for us right now is for SDSU and Boise to say See Ya.     
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:24:25 AM by sju89tr »

Moose

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »
Mack has a good sense of humor & maybe has a decent slant on all this stuff. Some things are just out of your control. don't shoot me, but if morph into a Xavier type program, I'm ok. Be in the hunt and see what happens.

“@CoachChrisMack: Xavier expected to announce its decision to switch to the AFC North later today. Roger Goodell bobblehead night much anticipated....”

I would love to be Xavier.  A team at the top of their conference, top 25 every year.  Thats why I want no part of us ACC.  Let STJ, Gtown, Nova, and Xavier be the class of a new conference.  An A-10 on steroids.  12-14 teams still garnering 5 bids a year.

paultzman

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »

I would love to be Xavier.  A team at the top of their conference, top 25 every year.  Thats why I want no part of us ACC.  Let STJ, Gtown, Nova, and Xavier be the class of a new conference.  An A-10 on steroids.  12-14 teams still garnering 5 bids a year.

Exactly Moose! Nothing wrong with solid, competitive ball, with a chance to dance a bit!

nrb155

« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »
Ok lets hear it... list out your ideal non-football superconference... divisions and TV media deals included...

Moose

« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Ok lets hear it... list out your ideal non-football superconference... divisions and TV media deals included...

I've posted it before.  I'll try to dig it up.

Can't predict TV deals but the key is to maintain top DMA markets which I accounted for.

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
Does anyone have a sense of what a super basketball only conference would generate in a media contract?  Is it drastically different than the already small share that bball only schools are getting from the big east now?  If the difference less than $1M per year per school, a split should be evaluated now so we aren't stuck.