BE Media Contract

• 360 replies
Re: BE Media Contract
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2012, 11:14:05 AM »
$50 million to leave the ACC.

Wonder how the student who's gonna graduate wit a load of massive debt gonna feel 'bout that.

Shameful in the most extreme.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »
Appears Rutgers may be done deal after Trustee meeting today. New BE Commish must be dusting off resume. Watch UConn to ACC?

“@ESPNAndyKatz: Here is our http://t.co/v9yKmrJ6 story Sources: Maryland accepts invite from Big Ten http://t.co/HRHB2QAi

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »
You mean John Marinatto resigning as Big East Commissioner did not stop all the hemorrhaging, I am shocked....

I thought he was the problem?

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »

Wonder how the student who's gonna graduate wit a load of massive debt gonna feel 'bout that.

They better make it a $1 billion to be quite honest.

$50 million sounds like a lot but in the grand scheme of things it actually isn't.

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »

$50 million sounds like a lot but in the grand scheme of things it actually isn't.

$50 mill pays for 5,500 in-state undergrad's tuition for a year.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »
Another perspective shared by many on this site;

“@KevinMcNamara33: Tip-Off: Catholic schools asleep at wheel http://t.co/q90mvhJ9

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
They won't have to pay that much.  And they will make it up within 5 years.

I still tthink schools should align football conference s eparate from other sports
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »

$50 mill pays for 5,500 in-state undergrad's tuition for a year.

Your point is clear from the perspective of normal student paying tuition, from the perspective of making a school think twice about leaving for a conference like the Big 10 by imposing this type of penalty, guess again.  It is peanuts.

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:31 PM »
Maryland Athletics were in a big budget hole. They actually had to cut some sports because they didn't have the money for them.

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »
Maryland Athletics were in a big budget hole. They actually had to cut some sports because they didn't have the money for them.

Which is why even with the exit fee going to the Big 10 and their lucrative network is a win for Maryland.

paultzman

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:50 PM »
“@BrendanPrunty: If Big Ten invite comes for Rutgers, athletic director Tim Pernetti authorized to accept it http://t.co/iLrnQ20O

“@McMurphyESPN: Rutgers will announce move to Big Ten on Tuesday, sources told @ESPN”
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:14:24 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
Here is my point, others blamed Marinatto for this current mess, I don't blame anyone per se because this train was already moving down the tracks long before Marinatto and others jumped on.

Take Louisville for example.  Boeheim is right to laugh at Pitino's comments.  We know for a fact that Louisville tried to snake West Virginia's invitation to the Big 12 at the last minute.  They had 1 foot out the door already and what is to stop them from leaving when they get the chance.

Tranghese and Marinatto used some spit and glue to try to keep this (and what turned out be a mostly futile effort because it was likely to fall apart eventually) together for as long as they could but again this train had been set in motion long time ago and I am not sure what people expected by having a different Commissioner.

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »
Here is my point, others blamed Marinatto for this current mess, I don't blame anyone per se because this train was already moving down the tracks long before Marinatto and others jumped on.

Take Louisville for example.  Boeheim is right to laugh at Pitino's comments.  We know for a fact that Louisville tried to snake West Virginia's invitation to the Big 12 at the last minute.  They had 1 foot out the door already and what is to stop them from leaving when they get the chance.

Tranghese and Marinatto used some spit and glue to try to keep this (and what turned out be a mostly futile effort because it was likely to fall apart eventually) together for as long as they could but again this train had been set in motion long time ago and I am not sure what people expected by having a different Commissioner.

Agree

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2012, 12:26:53 PM »
Right you are, of the original 7 and Villinova only two played football yet all sorts of accommodations were made for them and a collection of johnny come lately.

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »
Another perspective shared by many on this site;

“@KevinMcNamara33: Tip-Off: Catholic schools asleep at wheel http://t.co/q90mvhJ9

I agree with everything that the author is saying, but realistically none of these Catholic schools are going to leave at this point.  They still benefit from the Big East's money and are going to ride it out until the very end.

It's sad because everything that is happening before us is going to hurt St. John's in the long run.  Who knows whether Lavin will want to stay if the conference is going to take a backseat to the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, and Pac 12?  Will top recruits even want to play here anymore?  It stinks for everybody involved.

NYCoffey

« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2012/11/19/3667000/uconn-louisville-acc-maryland-conference-realignment

ACC in talks with UConn, Louisville, South Florida and Cincinnati about 14th team to replace Maryland, source told @cbssports.

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
When one of the founding members of a major conference like the ACC decides to leave their natural geographic base you know this thing is bigger then a bread box.

Bottom line is that this is a game of musical chairs.  And no one wants to be left without a chair when the music stops.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:14:22 PM by fordham96 »

ras

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »
When one of the founding members of a major conference like the ACC decides to leave their natural geographic base you know this things is bigger then a bread box.

Bottom line is that this is a game of musical chairs.  And no one wants to be left without a chair when the music stops.
+1

Wods317

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »
Maybe this is just me being naive but with our team being in the biggest media market in the country and also playing at MSG I am not too worried about us. I think some conference will take us if the Big East continues to fall apart it's not like we are unknown school in the middle of nowhere. I think schools like Providence, Seton Hall, etc are in more trouble if this continues, thoughts?

paultzman

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
“@CBSSports: UConn and Louisville the two favorites to replace Maryland. USF and Cincinnati also options: http://t.co/DX7THJQ3