Harkless Update from ESPN

• 130 replies
Re: Harkless Update from ESPN
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »
He was extremely raw at SJ. We really didn't even get to see much of what he could do. I remember feeling like he was a brick machine. He was really just a guy who got layups and dunks. It's not like he was Durant or Curry or anything where you could assume their skills would translate to the NBA level. The kid could not shoot when he was with us. Now he's making NBA 3's. Imagine if he was still at SJ?

Man we could use him so bad. I still don't understand why 1 and done is allowed...should be mandatory 2-3 years. It would help college hoops so much and build team chemistry/identities/rivalries. Players would become much more well known associated with each team and their skills would be very polished. The way it is now, success is almost punished. It's weird wanting your players to do good but not too good to keep them off the draft boards.

What I find intersting is that while #2 overall Kidd Gilchrist has slightly better season numbers at 8.9 pts and 5.5 rebs, his numbers are DECLINING as the season goes on.  Since the All Star Break 8.1 pts, 4.6 rebs and 43% FGs.  (again, compared to Mo's 12.1, 4.9 and 51.1% over the same period)....

MKG had a concussion and hasn't really recovered from it from a playing standpoint

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
Moe's playing the Knicks tonight. It's on MSG. He's guarding Melo. Looks good so far in this one.

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »
Harkless plays great defense on Melo. Has also defended LeBron well. Dude is going to be a star in a couple years.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 08:35:49 AM »
As a Magic fan since I was a child...I love having Moe (for obvious reasons) and Tobias Harris. Nik Vucevic had been really solid as well.  Rob Hennigan has done an absolutely tremendous job since taking over as GM IMO.

They have a nice young core and promising future with draft picks and a smart front office in place. I try to catch as many of their games as possible, and Moe has really stepped up his offensive game lately. His 3-point stroke has improved tenfold. He's actually shooting 40% from beyond the arc since the ASB. Small sample size, but it's still 14 games at 2.4 attempts per.

Now just needs to work on his free throw shooting..

Moe has a good stroke. His free throw shooting will come with time.

Moe was a very good shooter, his shots just weren't falling at a good clip his one year here.  I wouldn't have been surprised if he shot near 40% or even over if he came back.  I posted a youtube video of Harkless draining trey after trey from a workout with Jevon Thomas a few years back.  Effortless stroke, but he needed to pick his shots better and strengthen the legs.  40 minutes in two halves will tire just about anyone. 

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 02:53:49 PM »
There's a difference between effortless stroke, looking good shooting, etc.... and actually having them go in.  Harkless is now on his second straight year of 30% or worse 3PFG shooting.   Mid range game is very good but wouldn't call him a shooter at all.

bk8664

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
There's a difference between effortless stroke, looking good shooting, etc.... and actually having them go in.  Harkless is now on his second straight year of 30% or worse 3PFG shooting.   Mid range game is very good but wouldn't call him a shooter at all.

He's shooting 49.2% from the field and 40.5% from the three point line since the all-star break, averaging 12.5 points, 5.4 rebounds, 1.9 steals, 0.7 blocks and 0.6 steals. 

Moreover, the Knicks commentators last night said that Orlando front-office thinks he might be their teams's best defender. 

One NBA.com, they rate him the 5th best rookie.
http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/

He's playing awesome.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:06:15 PM by bk8664 »

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
It's sad to think about how good moe could have been for us. Who else thinks he is better than Otto porter? It's hard to say but I would have bet going in that Moe would be the better player of the two. And look at him, he's the player of the year!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
It's sad to think about how good moe could have been for us. Who else thinks he is better than Otto porter? It's hard to say but I would have bet going in that Moe would be the better player of the two. And look at him, he's the player of the year!

Going in i agree, but Otto really stepped it up, especially in Big East play.  His numbers are crazy good this year.  Almost 43% from 3, he boards, passes, defends.  I think he is the National player of the year.  Would have been a nice to have a comparison this year.  Will have a better idea next year.

Moe is in a good spot in Orlando.  Harris is a good player and they will push each other.  He does have to improve his FT shooting.  56% is not going to get it done, leaving points out there this year.  Playmaking too

He's 19 though, he has a lot of time to figure it out.  From his recent numbers and age, it's clear he is going to be a solid NBA player. 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:47:17 PM by B-Squared »

bk8664

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »
Harkless went nuts tonight.
25 points on 11 for 18 shooting.
2-3 from three.
9 rebounds
4 steals
4 blocks.

Against the Thunder in a close game; looks like they are going to lose by a little bit.

Moose

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
Damn
Nice Moe
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »
Atta boy Moe! Was he guarding Durant?

bk8664

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
Atta boy Moe! Was he guarding Durant?

I was watching the NCAAs.  I only saw the box score.

desco80

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »
Nice work by Moe!   He might've fallen into the perfect situation in Orlando.   And he's only going to get better. 

Moose

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »
Nice work by Moe!   He might've fallen into the perfect situation in Orlando.   And he's only going to get better. 

And they are looking at a very high pick as well.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 09:49:30 PM »
his year definitely validates him leaving after last year, smart decision.

bk8664

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:20 PM »

He keeps up this kind of play, and this is going to 'his' team.

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »
his year definitely validates him leaving after last year, smart decision.

Hard to argue with that.

desco80

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »

Say you're the Magic GM, who's your top priority in this draft if you can get him?

Mclemore ?
Smart, your point guard of the future?
Or are you rolling the dice on Noel or Len.

I'm assuming with moe and Harris and even what's his name from st Bonnie, they're probably nôt looking at the sf/pf available: porter, Bennett, Shabazz
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:01:27 PM by desco80 »

boo3

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »
 I'm taking McLemore.  He has a chance to be really special. Overall, I think it's a pretty weak draft class.  Not many " can't miss" prospects IMO.