Harkless Update from ESPN

• 130 replies

Moose

Re: Harkless Update from ESPN
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »
Where are those who questioned him coming out?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2013, 10:43:52 PM »
Hark with 28 on 10/18 shooting against Houston tonight. 2:16 left in the 4th.

If there is a re-draft right now - where would he get picked? Anthony Davis and Lilliard would most likely go 1st and 2nd, or vice versa.  Bradly Beal maybe goes ahead of him.   Would Michael Kidd Gilgrist or Dion Waiters go ahead of him? Maybe not.  He might be drafted #4 overall if a re-draft were to happen.  That's great for him and for SJU.  He definitely is our Pied Piper.

I think he would be drafted right after those guys and Drummond. Maybe ahead of Waiters.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:45:19 PM by Save The Hero »

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »

Always thought he made the right decision to come out, but to play devil's advocate this year he would've had the potential to be drafted #1 overall and definitely top 5 imo. Draft is pretty weak this year and if he progressed here the way he has with the Magic, he definitely would've been a top 5 pick.

Moose

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »

Always thought he made the right decision to come out, but to play devil's advocate this year he would've had the potential to be drafted #1 overall and definitely top 5 imo. Draft is pretty weak this year and if he progressed here the way he has with the Magic, he definitely would've been a top 5 pick.

All possibly true.  And he could have landed like Kevin Ware sadly.  No issues with a kid who left for 1st round guarantee. 

bk8664

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2013, 11:01:59 PM »

All possibly true.  And he could have landed like Kevin Ware sadly.  No issues with a kid who left for 1st round guarantee.

He's landed in a perfect situation with all the playing time he is getting.  Next year, he'll probably be one the best value deals for any NBA team with a player.  He'll get a huge pay-day when his rookie contract is up. 

Moose

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »

He's landed in a perfect situation with all the playing time he is getting.  Next year, he'll probably be one the best value deals for any NBA team with a player.  He'll get a huge pay-day when his rookie contract is up. 

The trade from Philly for that headcase Bynum worked out great.  The Orlando GM deserves credit.

« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2013, 11:10:33 PM »

I admit i questioned the decision. I honestly didnt think he was ready. I'm eating my words. I thought he was too raw.

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2013, 12:53:18 AM »
And remember that he's doing this WITHOUT a training camp under his belt (because he was hurt).  That usually REALLY affects rookies but he's caught on very quickly under the circumstances.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2013, 01:23:37 AM »
And remember that he's doing this WITHOUT a training camp under his belt (because he was hurt).  That usually REALLY affects rookies but he's caught on very quickly under the circumstances.

Without training camp, but playing on a team with nobody really blocking him and keeping him on the bench either. That and the fact that the same thing happened for him here, he's gotten a whole lot of burn these past two years.

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2013, 11:39:15 AM »
 Mo's game is that of a classic player. He is a 5 tool player and does it with style and grace. He's smooth and not flashy and doesn't play a playground game. His fundamentals are sound and that is rare today for a 20 year old in the NBA or College.

It would have been great to see him and Sampson together, for 1 season anyway..With a PG, even better. Mo is a better player than Jakarr but, let's see if Sampson can have a Otto Porter like season next year for us.

He very well might.

« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
Doug Collins goin outta his mind.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »

Thats why I agreed with his decision. Never think staying is a great option for a player who is a lock to be a first round pick (aka guaranteed money).

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2013, 01:43:04 AM »
FWIW Harkless is #5 on "The Rookie Ladder" on NBA.com. Ahead of him is Lillard, Davis, Beal, and Waiters in order. I think he would have challenged for legitimate ROY had he played the entire season like he did the past month or so. Just had another 18 today almost a double double with 9 boards. He would have done wonders with us.

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2013, 01:39:15 PM »

Right here.  Should have stayed in school.  Where is it so written that anything that can go wrong at SJU has to go wrong?  I see good players staying 2, 3, 4 years all across the country.  We get a good player for the first time in more than a decade and he has to leave in one?  Why are we the cursed f**kin program?

Moose

« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »

Right here.  Should have stayed in school.  Where is it so written that anything that can go wrong at SJU has to go wrong?  I see good players staying 2, 3, 4 years all across the country.  We get a good player for the first time in more than a decade and he has to leave in one?  Why are we the cursed f**kin program?

Why 'should' he have stayed in school?

SJUFAN

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »

That's part of building a program. Need to be able to "hide" a player for a season or two before they explode on the national scene. You do that by having quality players in front of them. We will get there, as long as Lavin is here.

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »

Ridiculous.  There's how many first round draft picks staying 2, 3, or 4 years.  Like 1 in 50?  I questioned his coming out when he announced because I thought, and experts had him projected at the time, as a borderline first rounder.  I changed my spots before the draft when it was apparent that he was more of a borderline lottery pick.  You can't take chances with a guaranteed multi million dollar contract.  No one wants to become the next Terrence Morris or Kris Joseph.

mkras99

« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/57116/nba-shootaround-the-sweet-smell-of-successex_cid=grantland33

Ben Detrick: Even with studs like LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Carmelo Anthony now moonlighting as power forwards, the 3 spot remains the NBA's go-to position for Swiss army knife cutlery. This season's breakout small forwards have been Paul George and Nicolas Batum, but there's no shortage of other emerging talent at the swingman slot. The Spurs' Kawhi Leonard — an elastic, cornrowed demon unfairly equipped with both rangy defensive prowess and top-shelf scoring efficiency — might be the NBA's most untouchable non-star asset.

Leonard didn't play last night against Orlando, but the game featured another young small forward with multitudinous abilities: Moe Harkless. At only 19, the New York City product has averaged almost 20 points and six rebounds over the last five games, and demonstrated capabilities both as a 3-point threat and shot-rejector. Last night against the Spurs, he chipped in 18 points, nine rebounds, two assists, and two blocks. Ropy and mobile at 6-foot-8, the barely legal teen is a raw version of Andrei Kirilenko.

While center Nikola Vucevic (who pulls down 11.6 rebounds per game) has often been mentioned as the most valuable piece the Orlando Magic scooped up in the Dwight Howard/Andrew Bynum deal, Harkless will be the player the Sixers most rue coughing up in that shockingly disastrous trade. Philadelphia coach Doug Collins, for one, has reportedly been "consumed" with tracking Harkless's box scores — although his asinine distrust of rookies probably would've prevented Moe from being anything beyond a practice-squad corpse for the Sixers. But it's enjoyable to imagine Collins seething with rage as Harkless stuffs yet another stat sheet, sort of like a Facebook-lurking ex-boyfriend watching his former squeeze traipsing through Tuscany with her chiseled new beau. Even though Philly's acquisition of Bynum was universally lauded at the time, Sixers faithful must now live life as if a young, affordable core of Jrue Holiday, Harkless, and Vucevic were never a possibility. And it's only going to get worse.

« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »

Why 'should' he have stayed in school?

So, that I might see an Ncaa tournament win before I start collecting social security (if it still exists by then?) or before N. Korea drops an a-bomb on Long Island.

Marillac

« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »

I really think Moe could have been the #1 overall choice this year.  WEAK draft...I've never seen one this weak at the top.  Moe is 6'8 1/2....could have really broken out this year.  The flipside is that if he didn't get much better, the exta year on his age would have significantly lowered his ceiling in scouts eyes. 

He's in a very good situation right now in Orlando.