SJU/Cuse Recruiting Battle
« on: November 03, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:29:18 PM by paultzman »

Re: SJU/Cuse Recruiting Battle
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Decent article but too many typos.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »
Syracuse arguably has more to offer as it is moving to the ACC, the all-but-assumed top basketball conference in the country.

St. John’s has now whiffed on two recent targets.

wolf in sheeps clothing.  definite plug for syracuse even though the heading would lead u to believe a neutral article.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »
More than a few bias pro Syracuse statements in the NY Post article.

No mention by the writer of the desire by recruits to live in NYC over frigid Syracuse or to play in Madison Square Garden.

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »
Zach Braziller is a fair writer who treats us quite well IMO.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »

True but whiffed is a harsh word.  Missed out would have been better IMO.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »

Yeah, I didn't care for the whiff comment either. 

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 04:35:54 PM »
any way you spin it his article was slanted.

paultzman

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »

your opinion

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »

Agree 100%. Whiffed is a bit over the top...every school misses out on some recruits...

Other than that, the fact that an article, comparing Syracuse and SJ recruiting, is written means we are gaining mindshare.

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »
Agree Section 3.

ras

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
Being objective, In the 10 years prior to Lavin, Syracuse has kicked our butts on the court and recruiting. An article in the post is good PR and saying we are now (almost) on equal footing w Syracuse in recruiting, is a testimant to how far Lavin has taken this program in only a couple of years. The fact remains that JB is an excellent recruiter. Other then a few words like wiffed , I thaught it was a good article.

paultzman

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »
Being objective, In the 10 years prior to Lavin, Syracuse has kicked our butts on the court and recruiting. An article in the post is good PR and saying we are now (almost) on equal footing w Syracuse in recruiting, is a testimant to how far Lavin has taken this program in only a couple of years. The fact remains that JB is an excellent recruiter. Other then a few words like wiffed , I thaught it was a good article.

Agree

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 09:41:16 PM »

your opinion

Paulz

The author wrote" Syracuse arguably has more to offer as it is moving to the ACC, the all-but-assumed top basketball conference in the country. The Orange is a perennial title contender with a history of success and it routinely packs the Carrier Dome, an easy selling point for recruits."

So please let me understand the point you are attempting to make; do you believe that the article is not slanted despite the fact that by it only mentions what SU may have "more to offer"but fails to  mention any advantages which St. John's may offer?

Thanks.

paultzman

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »

your opinion

Paulz

The author wrote" Syracuse arguably has more to offer as it is moving to the ACC, the all-but-assumed top basketball conference in the country. The Orange is a perennial title contender with a history of success and it routinely packs the Carrier Dome, an easy selling point for recruits."

So please let me understand the point you are attempting to make; do you believe that the article is not slanted despite the fact that by it only mentions what SU may have "more to offer"but fails to  mention any advantages which St. John's may offer?

Thanks.

Talk to Zach a lot and know he is fair. Moose  made a good point about using a better descriptor than whiffing, but I think article was fine. Let's move on.

LJSA

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »
"Whiffed" would be more appropriate in an article about Seton Hall or Providence, but it's OK. Get Lawrence or Jordan and we won't have to see the word until next year's recruiting cycle.

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 11:52:30 PM »

your opinion

Paulz

Thanks.

I hate Cuse but at the moment most of that is true.

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 12:06:48 AM »
I'm going to bust Zach's balls about "whiffed" but what do you expect from New York's #1 tabloid newspaper (Lenn Robbins' words not mine). St. John's was heavily involved in Martin but the early announcement was indicative of his decision to stay local. St. John's was recruited Martin as an offshoot of Gathers, which would be the better classification of a whiff.

It will be interesting to see the timeline of recruits decisions. Lawrence signing late is very beneficial to St. John's because they can afford to wait but Rysheed Jordan is another story. Will be interesting to see how his recruitment shakes out and my bet is still on a Philly school (Don't rule out St. Joe's as a darkhorse).

Either way St. John's is in a good position to whiff out on a few guys but need to remain calculated in their recruiting efforts. NBA and transfer aren't out of the question.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 01:53:45 AM »
I'm going to bust Zach's balls about "whiffed" but what do you expect from New York's #1 tabloid newspaper (Lenn Robbins' words not mine). St. John's was heavily involved in Martin but the early announcement was indicative of his decision to stay local. St. John's was recruited Martin as an offshoot of Gathers, which would be the better classification of a whiff.

It will be interesting to see the timeline of recruits decisions. Lawrence signing late is very beneficial to St. John's because they can afford to wait but Rysheed Jordan is another story. Will be interesting to see how his recruitment shakes out and my bet is still on a Philly school (Don't rule out St. Joe's as a darkhorse).

Either way St. John's is in a good position to whiff out on a few guys but need to remain calculated in their recruiting efforts. NBA and transfer aren't out of the question.

St. Joe's???? Really?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 01:58:59 AM »

St. Joe's???? Really?
That would hurt.