Gift May Red Shirt

• 74 replies

paultzman

Gift May Red Shirt
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: #stjbb may redshirt God'sGift Achiuwa this year, per Mark Fratto”

paultzman

Re: Gift May Red Shirt
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »
Don't know about this, but;

“@AdamZagoria: Because JaKarr Sampson & Orlando Sanchez may leave early for the NBA, Gift may be redshirted #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »
“@Kieran_Lynch: Gift may redshirt, which is why he is wearing sweats today. No definite decision yet on whether he will or not. #stjbb”

“@Kieran_Lynch: New NCAA rule states that if a player participates in a single minute of exh., they can't redshirt. #stjbb”

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
I guess this will make sense if Sanchez is a senior
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
The article on Blue Ribbon, could be right about Gift.  We all thought "now way" but it could be reality.  Hoping the part about C. Jones is also true about him being that good to be one and done.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
I would this is something GG would almost want. It would allow him to get a fifth year for free to get/start his graduate degree.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
Any reason why Felix hasn't played?

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:33:09 PM »
This doesn't make too much sense to me.  I would think that Lavin with a scholarship could land a guy equally as good or better than GG with his eyes closed.  We have Obekpa and Jones for next season.  Obekpa will almost certainly be a much improved soph.  If Jones is half as good as Lavin says he is, next year he would be much better than GG.

Sampson is not a one-and-done player to me.  He's not even on the NBA radar at this point for next season.  There is also a chance Sanchez could get another year.  If either of those guys come back--let alone both--there is no need for GG.  If both bolt (unlikely), Lavin has two scholarships to replace them with top talent.  There is always a surplus of good undersized bigs in the JUCO ranks. 

Lav also has Pointer and Garret to take up minutes up front.  I really just don't get this move.  GG is like 6'6! He's not even a big man.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:56 PM »
This doesn't make too much sense to me.  I would think that Lavin with a scholarship could land a guy equally as good or better than GG with his eyes closed.  We have Obekpa and Jones for next season.  Obekpa will almost certainly be a much improved soph.  If Jones is half as good as Lavin says he is, next year he would be much better than GG.

Sampson is not a one-and-done player to me.  He's not even on the NBA radar at this point for next season.  There is also a chance Sanchez could get another year.  If either of those guys come back--let alone both--there is no need for GG.  If both bolt (unlikely), Lavin has two scholarships to replace them with top talent.  There is always a surplus of good undersized bigs in the JUCO ranks. 

Lav also has Pointer and Garret to take up minutes up front.  I really just don't get this move.  GG is like 6'6! He's not even a big man.

Not much of a chance Sanchez gets another.  He seems destined for 1 year of eligibility.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
love this move.  sanchez and CO can now split up all forty minutes this year at center.  CO can start next year, with GG as an excellent sub and insurance policy. 

Moose

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 11:17:41 PM »
love this move.  sanchez and CO can now split up all forty minutes this year at center.  CO can start next year, with GG as an excellent sub and insurance policy. 

And Gift still hasn't played ball for many years.  More time to work with staff.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Only reason this makes sense is because the staff had no intentions of playing GG this season anyways and this basically only reiterates that Sanchez only has 1 year and the staff intends to use all its efforts to land a big fish (Lawrence)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

desco80

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »
I hate to be the one to point this out, but this also makes sense if Gift is thinking of leaving the program.

If he wasn't going to see a lot of playing time this season (and some of us have been suggesting that), then they can announce he's red-shirting, he get's his degree and graduates this year, and then he can transfer anywhere he wants without penalty and play immediately next season.   Right?

If the staff really doesn't see a part for him in their gameplan, then I wouldn't be surprised if they suggested that, because it would truly be in his best interests.   
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:45:31 AM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
I hate to be the one to point this out, but this also makes sense if Gift is thinking of leaving the program.

If he wasn't going to see a lot of playing time this season (and some of us have been suggesting that), then they can announce he's red-shirting, he get's his degree and graduates this year, and then he can transfer anywhere he wants without penalty and play immediately next season.   Right?

If the staff really doesn't see a part for him in their gameplan, then I wouldn't be surprised if they suggested that, because it would truly be in his best interests.   

Its true that it could happen but it won't.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »

makes sense...it seems that the staff is looking for two recruits for next year.  that extra ship has to come from somewhere.  if we land both recruits, then GG would be the logical choice to leave the program.  if we only land one, do you think he stays?

desco80

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »

You  know more about the team's inner-workings than I do, I hadn't "heard" anything.   It was just a thought I had.   
But it's also true that if Sanchez only has one year of availability, then there would be more time for Gift next year also.   So maybe that's what they're thinking. 
I was just posing an alternate possibility for this move (if it happens). 

Moose

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »

You  know more about the team's inner-workings than I do, I hadn't "heard" anything.   It was just a thought I had.   
But it's also true that if Sanchez only has one year of availability, then there would be more time for Gift next year also.   So maybe that's what they're thinking. 
I was just posing an alternate possibility for this move (if it happens). 

I'm not saying anything definitive.  I think Gift really likes STJ and we know how studious he is.  And its clear the NBA is not in his future.  So to start his Masters and get another year under his belt with coaching as he's still new to the game, I think its a no brainer for all parties.

You did point out however than in theory he could leave provided he went somewhere with an Masters program that STJ didn't have after the year.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 03:52:33 PM »
Only reason this makes sense is because the staff had no intentions of playing GG this season anyways and this basically only reiterates that Sanchez only has 1 year and the staff intends to use all its efforts to land a big fish (Lawrence)

If the staff has no inentions of playing him this year because of a first year JUCO transfer and three freshmen, shouldn't we expect the same with the guys Lavin brings in next year?  Coach has clearly demonstrated that he thinks Garrett should play over GG and even losing both Sampson and Sanchez  would still leave him with Obekpa and Jones (to add to Garrett).  There would also be two more scholarships to bring in a top high school talent, a fifth year prep, or a better JUCO transfer.  STJ could also be a very attactive destination for a midseason big man transfer or a graduating big man with a year of eligibility. 

The positive here is that Lavin could let GG play at any time.  So if it becomes clear that Lavin could use the scholarship, he can just activate GG to free that up.  I think even the fact that Coach is considering reshirting GG mean that he thinks very highly of Orlando Sanchez.  I don't think he'll be star, but I think he is just what the doctor ordered for STJ's frontcourt woes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:54:12 PM by Marillac »

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 12:01:24 AM »
Moose is on the money.  Why not bring an upperclassmen big back next year along with Obekpa to offset losses.  Gift is a near 4.0 student and is working on his Masters.  It is beneficial for him academically, financially and athletically to extend his stay one more year.  He is a top notch student athlete and will be rewarded with his education, one of very few D1 ball players who really care about it.  He'll get an extra year to practice and still gets the same amount of time to play D1 ball as he would have had regardless.  It is a win-win for Lavin and Gift. 

desco80

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
Moose is on the money.  Why not bring an upperclassmen big back next year along with Obekpa to offset losses.  Gift is a near 4.0 student and is working on his Masters.  It is beneficial for him academically, financially and athletically to extend his stay one more year.  He is a top notch student athlete and will be rewarded with his education, one of very few D1 ball players who really care about it.  He'll get an extra year to practice and still gets the same amount of time to play D1 ball as he would have had regardless.  It is a win-win for Lavin and Gift.

How is this so clearly a win/win?   Who's not coming back that will open up playing time for GG?   Maybe Sanchez. 
And what if the NCAA declares Orlando a Junior?   Then, on paper at least, we have no open scholarships.   
Sure, we all expect one to open up through one way or another, but it's possible that we wouldn't have room for Jordan and Lawrence (god-willing we're in a position to sign both).

If Gift isn't going to play this year when Obekpa, Christian Jones, and Sampson are freshmen, then how is he going to play next year?  The only way would be if the staff expects Sanchez to only have 1 year of eligibility, expect Jakarr to be one and done, and are worried we won't sign Lawrence.    Then, yea, there's playing time for Gift.   It's also a sign we would be pretty horrible.