Marco or Sanchez?

• 340 replies

ras

Re: Marco or Sanchez?
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
My problem w Lavin is: If its an eligibility problem and not a classification problem, why try to spin it?

Poison

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
Kieran Darcy ‏@KieranDarcy 3m
Also, Lavin says no word yet on eligibility of Orlando Sanchez, Marco Bourgault

Somewhat intriguing. Maybe they are appealing the decision?

I think we would know if they were denied eligibility then STJ would say they were appealing, this is similar to the UCLA situation. I don't believe that there is any ruling as of yet. 

Then why not put it to bed?

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2012, 01:44:19 PM »
Quinn Rochford @QSTJHoops
   ·More
There is no update on Marco Bourgault and/or Orlando Sanchez, says Lavin. Only way they play tomorrow is if they hear in next day. #stjbb

« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »
Kieran Darcy ‏@KieranDarcy 3m
Also, Lavin says no word yet on eligibility of Orlando Sanchez, Marco Bourgault

Somewhat intriguing. Maybe they are appealing the decision?

I think we would know if they were denied eligibility then STJ would say they were appealing, this is similar to the UCLA situation. I don't believe that there is any ruling as of yet. 

Then why not put it to bed?

i think the school is trying to control the communication and keep it focused on tomorrow's game. i think we'll hear something made public by wednesday.

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »
And Harrison isn't starting tomorrow again?
Must have been some parking ticket. What did he do park in Father Harrington's spot?

Poison

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »
The person at St.John's in charge of compliance needs to take a good long look in the mirror.

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »
Maybe the reason coach was talking up C Jones is to lessen the disappointment of not having Sanchez.

MCNPA

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
While losing Sanchez would be a huge loss as he's supposed to be pretty good ut we still do have a very good Jakarr Sampson and Christian Jones at the PF spot.  We have Obekpa and Gift at the Center spot.  Jones I believe WAS the backup plan and turning out to be a much better one than many thought he would be.  I'd be disappointed losing Sanchez, but it certainly doesn't kill our roster this year.  We're still a pretty deep team in the frontcourt without him.  I'm also confident we'll get Marco cleared soon.  There is no blame here.  We had to recruit a big class and Lavin takes some chances trying to land big fish. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:13:54 PM by MCNPA »

Tiznow

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »
The person at St.John's in charge of compliance needs to take a good long look in the mirror.

What is the compliance issue for SJU?  I'm not sure anyone here even knows what the story is, but we all know he has not seen the court in a johnny uniform.  If the guy in not eligible to play for any variety of reasons it does not mean SJU has any compliance issue. 

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »
Agree with Tiznow, compliance is internal.  This sounds like an external issue.  There were a number of teams recruiting Sanchez, you would think someone would have figured out, if it was something obvious, that he'd either exhausted eligibility or threatened his amateur status.  Fair question is what was he doing from the age of 18-22?  I've never read any information on that but that's obviously where the problems lie. 

desco80

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »
Somebody remind me, what was the rumored problem with Marco again? 
Something about reinstatement right? 

Can anyone elaborate?

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »
How can you pin this on compliance?? There were concerns in basketball circles during the recruiting process over Sanchez's eligibility (in fact I posted about it last winter in Sanchez's recruiting thread on here). Schools that recruiting him knew there were some concerns/risks.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2012, 02:51:08 PM »
How can you pin this on compliance?? There were concerns in basketball circles during the recruiting process over Sanchez's eligibility (in fact I posted about it last winter in Sanchez's recruiting thread on here). Schools that recruiting him knew there were some concerns/risks.

What is the compliance issue for SJU?  I'm not sure anyone here even knows what the story is, but we all know he has not seen the court in a johnny uniform.  If the guy in not eligible to play for any variety of reasons it does not mean SJU has any compliance issue. 

I was making a bit of a joke out of it, because I think it's easier to deal with the disappointment that way.

He said that he did something 3 years ago? I'm going to assume that he is referring to playing professionally instead of going to college. It may or may not be about compliance, but they need a better system to get these kids on the floor. If that falls under compliance, great, but I think you're stuck on terminology. I don't believe most fans know how a program follows a player's eligibility. But one thing is clear, we have been made shorthanded for two consecutive seasons, and it needs to be addressed.

Lavin is off a strong start IMO overall, but he needs to make sure this is addressed more carefully.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:52:13 PM by Poison »

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »
does anyone see Sanchez in this picture?  I think I see marco with the ball.  this picture was taken by Fran.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:53:40 PM by redmen4life »

Tiznow

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »
Poison,

The compliance guys are probably doing a good job by keeping them off the court.  It's seems like a challenging job in schools recruiting at this level.  Other schools have similar issues, perhaps on a smaller scale. If SJU was in a normal position of signing three or four kids in a class then it would be on a smaller scale here as well.

I can live it.  It's sure better than hoping for an underrated class to beat everyone's expectations.

If our bad feelings on this one come true I'm in the camp that this will allow for other kids to get playing time.  I guess we'll see Gift this year.

« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2012, 03:07:56 PM »

Any chance you could find that post or at least give a hint at what it was that was concerning folks at the time?  I for one would like just a little more information than I have.

Moose

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2012, 03:27:23 PM »
Somebody remind me, what was the rumored problem with Marco again? 
Something about reinstatement right? 

Can anyone elaborate?

For starters Marco is foreign as we all now.  Came to the states went to HS in Marlyand.
Marco enrolled at Montana out of HS but was then declared to have been a credit short of NCAA standards.
Went to ND Prep for 5th year.
Then went to Monroe for JC but got hurt and only played 1 yr.

So the question is when his NCAA clock started and does he have 2 or 3 years.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »

Any chance you could find that post or at least give a hint at what it was that was concerning folks at the time?  I for one would like just a little more information than I have.
I'm not sure where to find it but I do remember that Theo post

Moose

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »

Theo definitely said it.  It was after he watch Monroe last year so figure December of last year and probably in the Orlando thread.  I remember I responded to it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »

Theo definitely said it.  It was after he watch Monroe last year so figure December of last year and probably in the Orlando thread.  I remember I responded to it.

Here is Theo's latest quote: 

"As I wrote in here after the 2 times I saw him in person this year, I truly believe that Orlando Sanchez will be a pro.  Also heard he won't have much problem gaining eligibility.  REALLY hoping we get him."

Here is the original from January: 

"I've heard there's some type of issue with him possibly playing in a pro league overseas before he came to the US (sorta like the Kanter case)"