Holy Cross - Game Discussion

• 140 replies

boo3

Re: Holy Cross - Game Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
Not a good performance.  Sampson has been a bright spot.  Not only is his shooting better than I thought, he is much more confident , offensively ,than I had envisioned.

crgreen

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2012, 09:03:34 PM »
IS that a block or a steal for Obekpa?

gman

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
Not a good performance.  Sampson has been a bright spot.  Not only is his shooting better than I thought, he is much more confident , offensively ,than I had envisioned.

He has played better after the first 5 minutes. Shots are more in the flow of the offense

crgreen

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »
And was THAT one Jakarr's or Chris's?

gman

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »
Dom seems lost at times.where was Driving?

boo3

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 09:16:19 PM »
First one was a block.

2nd was Sampsons.

NYCoffey

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
Isn't this when ypu want Marco on the floor.

MCNPA

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »
Jakarr is getting better every game.  Can't leave him unguarded, even on long jumpers.

gman

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »
I said if we didn't win by 15 I would be surprised/disappointed. Pretty disappointed right now. We should have clobbered them. Sampson played well. Greene showed flashes as did Felix.  Hopefully it was just fatigue

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
I said if we didn't win by 15 I would be surprised/disappointed. Pretty disappointed right now. We should have clobbered them. Sampson played well. Greene showed flashes as did Felix.  Hopefully it was just fatigue

Disappointed it was for an offense 25 second of the weave followed by an attempt at a one on one or a heave.

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
At this point right now, blow outs are not going to come easy.  This team is still very young and raw, and still learning how to play with each other.  What we have as a major upgrade from last year, is now we have 3 scorers with Greene, Sampson and Dlo.  The other guys are going to have to step up from time to time, and give some spurts of scoring or rebounding like they are doing right now, just at a higher level if one of the three mentioned above are not playing at their best.  Still not sure what is up with Marco.  Is it his D, rebounding, or something else that he is not playing at all aside from a minute here and there?

Our D was much much better tonight, 3 shot clock violations is a tremendous job.  It's def was a game that we should of won and we did, and although it took some time to pull away, a win is a win and we have plenty of time to get even better.

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »
To be fair Holy Cross was intentionally playing stall ball and I think SJU being young were impatient at times.

That plays into the hands of HC.

Have to get Marco some minutes as I think he is going to help with deep shooting later on.  But I think the inability to put HC away forced Coach's hand to use a tighter rotation..

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2012, 10:35:52 PM »
nice to see us finish strong and pull away at the end.

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »
Drives me crazy how we always have a guard guarding a big man

But that means Sampson and/or Obekpa will be coming weakside for the block. 

gman

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
Drives me crazy how we always have a guard guarding a big man

But that means Sampson and/or Obekpa will be coming weakside for the block.

Problem was they both came and no one there for the rebound

Moose

« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2012, 01:02:41 AM »
Reading these threads is always funny.
Also hearing fans at games nitpick the most insane things is even funnier.  It amazes me how many of our fans don't know what a zone defense is.

Whoever asked about Sanchez yes he was on bench like he has for all homes games.  With Gift, Max and Branch is black warmups.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2012, 01:04:50 AM »

You were pretty critical in this thread.  Saying you didn't want Jakarr shooting yet he shot what 10-15 or something?  You wanted to win by 15 and we won by 12.  I don't know about you but I didnt sense anyone around me was concerned with outcome of the game.  Cream rises to the top.

As bad as defense looks at times the 2nd half clampdown was pretty impressive.  It looks helter skelter and the switching is maddenings at times (Harrison down low in the middle, Obekpa up top).

But you did hit the nail on the head with fatigue.  5 games in 8 days I believe.  Wins a win folks.  Have some turkey move on, and think of the embarrassment of riches when we get 2 more pieces on the court soon.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:06:39 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2012, 07:04:43 AM »

You were pretty critical in this thread.  Saying you didn't want Jakarr shooting yet he shot what 10-15 or something?  You wanted to win by 15 and we won by 12.  I don't know about you but I didnt sense anyone around me was concerned with outcome of the game.  Cream rises to the top.

As bad as defense looks at times the 2nd half clampdown was pretty impressive.  It looks helter skelter and the switching is maddenings at times (Harrison down low in the middle, Obekpa up top).

But you did hit the nail on the head with fatigue.  5 games in 8 days I believe.  Wins a win folks.  Have some turkey move on, and think of the embarrassment of riches when we get 2 more pieces on the court soon.

I was critical. I didn't like jakarrs early shots selection but said it got better after the first 5 after lavs put him on the bench. He started 1 for 5. I'll chalk it all up to fatigue and youth. I think this team will improve by leaps and bounds

paultzman

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »
One man's prognosis on Sanchez availability and game commentary;

“@KieranDarcy: In an ugly win over Holy Cross, a new St. John's star sparked the Red Storm: http://t.co/nDhPRcJQ

gman

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »
One man's prognosis on Sanchez availability and game commentary;

“@KieranDarcy: In an ugly win over Holy Cross, a new St. John's star sparked the Red Storm: http://t.co/nDhPRcJQ
That prognosis stinks.