• 102 replies
Re: Few notes from Baldi
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »
ACC would take a non football school? 

Supposedly ESPN is calling the shots.

desco80

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »
By the way, re the ACC, just think if we were to join that conference we would go back to having probably 3 less home games.
Syracuse, Duke, and even UNC probably become  50/50 crowds for us at best. 

With that said; it would be the best possible scenario for St Johns.   Especially if Georgetown were to come with us somehow. 

More than anything I hope Baldi's source is right about that.   I don't see it, but maybe there's a way.   

I don't see how they would take a non-fb school, but we would bring a lot to them in soccer, baseball, and a replacement lacrosse team for MD (not that we are an equal replacement, but a nice recruiting chip to the ACC teams offering more local games to NY/NJ/CT players).

Yea I don't see it either.   There are benefits, the things you mentioned, guaranteed games at MSG, etc.   The potential that tri-state will become ACC football fans by osmosis.   But I doubt it. 
Although if conferences are trying to reach the NY market - having SJU, Syracuse, and Notre Dame would corner the market pretty much.   

But again, even with all that, I just don't see why they would take a nonfootball school.   
I certainly hope they do though.   But it's a pipe dream. 

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »
Great to hear from Marco again.

And he is correct about the wardrobe change.

Lavin is pushing some red and blue uni

desco80

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
ACC would take a non football school? 

Supposedly ESPN is calling the shots.

I hope he's right, and ESPN is demanding SJU be invited.   I don't see it, but it would be awesome if true. 

TONYD3

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »
Glad you are ok

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 09:21:27 PM »
Welcome back Baldi

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing well Baldi.  Your boys waxed Wake after getting upset by Quinnipiac.  Anyway, what have you heard about Branch's D?  I know he had a rep out of high school as a lock down defender.

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 09:45:28 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing well Baldi.  Your boys waxed Wake after getting upset by Quinnipiac.  Anyway, what have you heard about Branch's D?  I know he had a rep out of high school as a lock down defender.

Lavin doesn't like guys who complain about injuries. I bet he gets maybe 12 mins a game, tops. Actually, if the rest of the team continues to be late for team bus...he might start. Lol

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 10:00:10 PM »
Good to hear from you Baldi!!  Hang in there!  Hopefully the jungle can provide you a break from reality.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »
Baldi, how sure would you say you are we are going to the ACC? I have yet to see any serious reports. How good is the source, or is it mere speculation? I would LOVE to go to the ACC, and I love the new uni ideas. Hope all is well!

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »
Baldi, how sure would you say you are we are going to the ACC? I have yet to see any serious reports. How good is the source, or is it mere speculation? I would LOVE to go to the ACC, and I love the new uni ideas. Hope all is well!

My source is not Dean Wormer on this. ST johns wants to go

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 10:19:23 PM »
I'm sure we want to go, but does that mean we will be invited? I thought ESPN running everything was already known before...just curious as to any new info and the likelihood this can really happen, because 99% of people seem to say SJ will never be let in due to no football. Thanks for the updates.

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »
I'm sure we want to go, but does that mean we will be invited? I thought ESPN running everything was already known before...just curious as to any new info and the likelihood this can really happen, because 99% of people seem to say SJ will never be let in due to no football. Thanks for the updates.

If they let Maryland go, is football really that important? Adding the NY basketball market into the mix is what they need. ESPN will boot another team just to get Acc tourney at MSG. the draw will be insane, Duke,Cuse,UNC,SJU,Pitt etc all playing at the Garden in March? No empty seats

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »
Agreed it would be insane to have all those great teams at MSG, but from what I hear this is all driven by football and football only. I would give anything for us to join the ACC, but wouldn't UConn, Nova, G'Town, etc. be ahead of us? How are we next in line?

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:43 PM »
Agreed it would be insane to have all those great teams at MSG, but from what I hear this is all driven by football and football only. I would give anything for us to join the ACC, but wouldn't UConn, Nova, G'Town, etc. be ahead of us? How are we next in line?

I think it's bigger than football, the powerhouse conference can sacrifice 1 non football school  to corner the basketball market by landing St Johns. They got the Jersey market in both football and hoops now. Uconn is done without Calhoun

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 10:54:12 PM »
True, but many people consider getting Cuse as capturing the NYC market (I don't agree since it's not really NYC). Sure we want the ACC, but I don't see how the ACC wants us. Assuming ESPN does drive everything, how do you know they want us in the ACC? Also, I thought we would have to be an AAU member to be there. We aren't exactly a juggernaut academically. Sorry for all the questions, just normal skepticism.

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 10:58:21 PM »
Who gets booted from ACC next? Georgia Tech?

jayro

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
Welcome back Marco.  Wish you good fortune.

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »
The below is a post from someone on other board I'm apart of:

Apparently Ian Fitzsimmons (he was the guy who had aTm to the SEC before anybody else) stated on ESPN radio that the ACC is about to get smashed, I guess K had it right when he said he was worried about the ACC.....

Rumor and right now this is a Big Rumor but the Big10 is going hard after Virginia and GTech (surprised UNC is being passed over) , the SEC is going after VaTech and NC State and FSU/Clemson are in discussions with the Big 12.

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
Welcome back Marco.  Wish you good fortune.

Thanks J. This is a strong community, from Rockaway to Belle Harbor to Breezy Point. Guys like PMG will vouch for that. I have a new faith in humanity. Just the other day, my brother and I were clearing out my sister house..her basement and 1st floor were flooded. A group of volunteer Mormons saw us struggling. Mormon girls. They jumped right in, what would have taken us 3 days, took 3 hours because of 10 Mormon high school volunteers. Miracles happening