FGCU Game

• 176 replies
Re: FGCU Game
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2012, 11:13:22 PM »
I dont think I can remember a St Johns team that blocked shots like this team. And its not just Obepka. Maybe there has been but I just dont remember it

« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »
Counted 5 turnovers for Phil, easily his worse game of season. We need to do some killer rebounding drills in practice-bring in Bob knight to toughen these guys up. You guys are right-shot goes up on defensive end and everyone looks up and stands there waiting for ball to come to them. We shoot and no one is under the boards to offensive rebound. On a positive note was game Sir Dom had-this is the player I thought we were getting-keep it up Sir Dom. Also while I somewhat agree with previous post that Dlo seems to want to get his 20 I thought he didn't force things in first half and waited for game to come to him in second half-at least for tonight. Looks like we will have to win games by out athleting teams because we lack many fundamentals although things can change by end of season.

crgreen

« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2012, 11:21:04 PM »
Many times tonight he gave up the open pass to take a shot or layup.

Don't know about y'all, but if I got a guy giving up the ball instead of taking a LAYUP, I'm benching him.   Specially if he happens to be a 90% free throw shooter...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:22:05 PM by crgreen »

MCNPA

« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2012, 11:32:08 PM »
Counted 5 turnovers for Phil, easily his worse game of season. We need to do some killer rebounding drills in practice-bring in Bob knight to toughen these guys up. You guys are right-shot goes up on defensive end and everyone looks up and stands there waiting for ball to come to them. We shoot and no one is under the boards to offensive rebound. On a positive note was game Sir Dom had-this is the player I thought we were getting-keep it up Sir Dom. Also while I somewhat agree with previous post that Dlo seems to want to get his 20 I thought he didn't force things in first half and waited for game to come to him in second half-at least for tonight. Looks like we will have to win games by out athleting teams because we lack many fundamentals although things can change by end of season.

Just a bad game for Phil because he actually is in top few in Big East in assist/to ratio right now.  This game wasn't his best because of silly turnovers.

Sir'Dom was awesome and turned the game around.  He has something like 8 Rebs and 6 assists.  Sir'Dom still has a TON of potential if he can develop his jumpshooting.  Get the feeling by senior season Sir'Dom is unstoppable. 

MCNPA

« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »

Don't know about y'all, but if I got a guy giving up the ball instead of taking a LAYUP, I'm benching him.   Specially if he happens to be a 90% free throw shooter...

Agree, not to mention I think D'Lo is leading the Big East in scoring right now and I don't think he's even playing real well thus far this season.  If he can harness that energy both on defense and offense, he'd really be something, and he's something all ready.

« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2012, 11:52:08 PM »

Agree, not to mention I think D'Lo is leading the Big East in scoring right now and I don't think he's even playing real well thus far this season.  If he can harness that energy both on defense and offense, he'd really be something, and he's something all ready.

There was one where he went up for the layup and got completely mauled by two guys. No foul call.

crgreen

« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2012, 12:00:47 AM »

Just a bad game for Phil because he actually is in top few in Big East in assist/to ratio right now.  This game wasn't his best because of silly turnovers.

Sir'Dom was awesome and turned the game around.  He has something like 8 Rebs and 6 assists.  Sir'Dom still has a TON of potential if he can develop his jumpshooting.  Get the feeling by senior season Sir'Dom is unstoppable.

Once again, I'm reminded of why I enjoy these St. Johns boards, and St. Johns fans.    "By Senior Season"  There are certain other boards where you would never read those words.   Instead, you see  references to "recruiting mistakes" and "wasted scholarships".   THANK YOU!   

Marillac

« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2012, 12:06:52 AM »
Great game for Dom.  Balamou does not look like a freshman at all thus far...love that kid!  He plays like he's 6'6.   We really haven't played a cupcake yet in six games.  FGCU will likely be a tournament team.

Defense has to improve and rebounding really has to improve.  Win Thursday and it's a near lock to open up conference play at 10-2.

MCNPA

« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »
Great game for Dom.  Balamou does not look like a freshman at all thus far...love that kid!  He plays like he's 6'6.   We really haven't played a cupcake yet in six games.  FGCU will likely be a tournament team.

Defense has to improve and rebounding really has to improve.  Win Thursday and it's a near lock to open up conference play at 10-2.

Agree.  Need to get past both SC and UNC Asheville though. Regardless I think we can and will win both.  Hopefully we hear and Sanchez soon and then get Branch in a few weeks.

« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2012, 12:15:14 AM »
anyone follow sc this year ? are they any good this yr?

Tiznow

« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
Nice to see a St John's team shoot 55% for a full game.  This is a good sign.  We have not had too many recent teams with the ability to make shots.

crgreen

« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2012, 12:33:57 AM »
anyone follow sc this year ? are they any good this yr?

Lost to Elon, Missouri State took them into overtime.   But their coach is former Kansas State HC Frank Martin - this is his first year.   His 5 years at K-State were 21-12 (NCAA 2nd round) , 22-12 (NIT), 29-8 (Elite Eight),  23-11 (NCAA 3rd round),  22-11 (NCAA 3rd Round)... so they're going to be pretty well coached....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:34:24 AM by crgreen »

« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
I didn't get to watch this game. I'm in Pottstown, PA for a tournament.

One thing about Felix it is crazy how he is learning the game so rapidly. He looks like a completely different player then 2 years ago, 1 year ago.

This game wasn't on ESPN3?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2012, 12:37:17 AM »

Agree.  Need to get past both SC and UNC Asheville though. Regardless I think we can and will win both.  Hopefully we hear and Sanchez soon and then get Branch in a few weeks.

UNC Asheville is 1-5, with its only win coming against 1-4 Western Carolina.  Sure they played Providence and NC Staye tough, but they also lost by 19 to Akron. 

lihoop

« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2012, 12:41:22 AM »
what date can Branch play?

« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2012, 12:42:41 AM »
Anyone notice FGCU played a box and one on Harrison for first half---did a good job limiting him to only 4 shots in half and denying him the ball. When we took the lead in the second half, they had to abandon box and one and Harrison was able to break out. That team was well coached. Will not be the last time Harrison sees a box and one. We did not do a very good job of springing him for shots in first half.

MCNPA

« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2012, 12:48:05 AM »
I didn't get to watch this game. I'm in Pottstown, PA for a tournament.

One thing about Felix it is crazy how he is learning the game so rapidly. He looks like a completely different player then 2 years ago, 1 year ago.

This game wasn't on ESPN3?

Dave, he looks different than a few months ago.  His jumpshot is much purer now.  I always said he could be an elite defender, but he was raw before.  now he's getting into great defensive stance and you can tell he takes the coaching seriously.   He can shoot off the dribble, off glass.  Super impressed with his body language out there.  I am extremely happy Lavin didn't redshirt him.  Kid doesnt flinch out there.  Guys like Sir'Dom, Greene and Balamou will be the glue for this team moving forward.  We need the big time players, but these kids will keep us consistently competing. 

I'll add that in only a few short games, Jakarr has become nearly automatic on jumpers anywhere inside the arc.  I'm amazed by his shooting progress.

MCNPA

« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2012, 12:50:07 AM »
Anyone notice FGCU played a box and one on Harrison for first half---did a good job limiting him to only 4 shots in half and denying him the ball. When we took the lead in the second half, they had to abandon box and one and Harrison was able to break out. That team was well coached. Will not be the last time Harrison sees a box and one. We did not do a very good job of springing him for shots in first half.

Harrison needs to recognize that as do the coaches and not force it.  It is hard for Harrison to do beachside his ego tells him to keep pushing.  D'Lo will become a more complete player when he realizes that just the threat of m scoring means somebody else is probably wide open. 

Marillac

« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2012, 01:20:40 AM »

« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2012, 01:41:57 AM »
Felix Balamou has penned a compelling story for St. John’s this season, and his teammates are loving it. He was undeterred when coach Steve Lavin discussed him as a redshirt candidate less than two weeks ago. His work at practice convinced Lavin to reconsider, and his contributions in recent games landed him in the starting five Saturday night against Florida Gulf Coast.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/balamou-injury-sparks-st-john-win-florida-gulf-coast-article-1.1207581#ixzz2DDKz6hs6
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!