San Fran Game

• 299 replies

desco80

Re: San Fran Game
« Reply #240 on: December 05, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
Too many doom and gloomers after one game.  This was akin to our bad Fordham loss 2 years ago.  To say nobody is improving is absurd.  Bad games happen.  This one we lost.  To write the season off because of it is silly.

MCN, watch the game on replay if you can ; it wasn't the loss it was how we loss that has many people upset.  An all around abysmal game.   

« Reply #241 on: December 05, 2012, 11:50:26 AM »
MCN, watch the game on replay if you can ; it wasn't the loss it was how we loss that has many people upset.  An all around abysmal game.   

Is there a DVR option up Lavin's but?

« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »
this may have been lavin's worst game since fordham two years ago.  they got the same kinds of high percentage looks over and over again with seemingly no adjustment.

i agree with mcn, though.  bubble teams lose games like this - it's not the end of the season.  but the diminished margin for other unexpected blips along the way puts us in a tough spot.

« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
no dunlap and what has martin brought to this team? 

« Reply #244 on: December 05, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
This game was the most evident example of what good point guard play does for teams. In the second half they got GREAT shot after great shot, nearly all because of their point guards ability to get inside the defense and make the right decision. Meanwhile we ran the same abysmal sets in which Harrison attempted to get open off of weak screens. Which almost always accumulated to him passing it back up top and trying it over again.

This team is built to play Syracuse's 2-3 zone. Have sampson and Amir play high on the wings and have Obekpa stay put underneath the basket!

The one plus was the play of Jakarr who was maybe the most aggressive ive seen him yet.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »

coaching

ras

« Reply #246 on: December 05, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »
I thaught we executed poorly. USF had to many open 3s and we had trouble  getting DLO open. The team will improve w time and the addition of Branch, and hopefully Sanchez.

boo3

« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »
 We are still 9-3.   I can't believe how overboard some people are going.  So you expected to be what? 10-2? 12-0?   Relax people.

We always lose a game or two like this.  Also, if any of you choose to remember anything positive, we tend to win one or two games every season recently, that we have no right winning.  Such is the season of a young, inexperienced, yet talented team.

Nothing wrong with having criticisms after a loss. But let's not cancel the season yet.  A lot of you must be Jets fans as well.  Doom and Gloom is in the DNA i think.

« Reply #248 on: December 05, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »
We are still 9-3.   I can't believe how overboard some people are going.  So you expected to be what? 10-2? 12-0?   Relax people.

We always lose a game or two like this.  Also, if any of you choose to remember anything positive, we tend to win one or two games every season recently, that we have no right winning.  Such is the season of a young, inexperienced, yet talented team.

Nothing wrong with having criticisms after a loss. But let's not cancel the season yet.  A lot of you must be Jets fans as well.  Doom and Gloom is in the DNA i think.

No were 6-3
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #249 on: December 05, 2012, 01:30:13 PM »

No were 6-3

Lol..my bad..  counting chickens... I still stand by my statement.  I didn't think we would win last night. 

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #250 on: December 05, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
We are still missing two importants parts of out team makeup that drastically effects the way this team wins. We will get one piece back soon and hopefully the other piece soon after. Until then it will be hard to imagine our full potential.
Cougar O' Malley

desco80

« Reply #251 on: December 05, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

It's a fair question Ed.   

And it's not Monday morning quarterbacking because plenty of people asked at the time where the x's and o's help would come from.

And that's not a knock on coach Lavin, he is our head coach, but nearly every head coach has an assistant who helps with game preparation and breaks down film of opponents.   A "chalk-board assistant".
You can advocate that a different type of assistant should've been selected without implying coach is a weak strategist.   They are different discussions in my mind. 

boo3

« Reply #252 on: December 05, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »
 I would hope that between Lavin and Keady we should be ok with the X's and O's.... Although sometimes I get the impression that Keady is nothing more than a giant mascot with a bad haircut.

« Reply #253 on: December 05, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »
a couple of posts complaining about the switching on defense.  supposedly, the team was built so that anybody could cover anybody.  the problem i saw last night was that nobody was able to contain doolin, whether it was on a switch or straight up.  to be fair to the team, some of it was due to those guys making some amazing plays and hitting their shots.  for example, saw chris pick up doolin off the screen and doolin made a nasty reverse layup.  just have to tip your hat on plays like that.

« Reply #254 on: December 05, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »
a couple of posts complaining about the switching on defense.  supposedly, the team was built so that anybody could cover anybody.  the problem i saw last night was that nobody was able to contain doolin, whether it was on a switch or straight up.  to be fair to the team, some of it was due to those guys making some amazing plays and hitting their shots.  for example, saw chris pick up doolin off the screen and doolin made a nasty reverse layup.  just have to tip your hat on plays like that.
disagree. We are constantly being beaten off the dribble and we are supposed to be quick and athletic. this is a lack of the coaching staff driving home the proper techniques and fundamentals of defense. Bore them with a three hour practice of nothing but technique and proper footwork. Made that frisco kid look like Isaiah Thomas.

Happy

« Reply #255 on: December 05, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »

Martin has only been here for 3 months  holy s#%T

desco80

« Reply #256 on: December 05, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »

That's not the point.   It's not a knock on Darrick Martin; it's just that his skills seem to be redundant on a staff that already has Tony and Rico.   
Dunlap was a completely different animal in terms of what he brought to the table.   We may not have been able to replicate him, but an assistant in that mold may have been more beneficial.
Totally legit conversation to have.   

Happy

« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »

That's not the point.   It's not a knock on Darrick Martin; it's just that his skills seem to be redundant on a staff that already has Tony and Rico.   
Dunlap was a completely different animal in terms of what he brought to the table.   We may not have been able to replicate him, but an assistant in that mold may have been more beneficial.
Totally legit conversation to have.   

I'm not happy with the way the team played yesterday and maybe coaching contributed to it.. but i'm going to say this as nice as possible for you or anyone else who starts breaking down the pros and cons of having Tony, Rico, and Darrick on the same staff......YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT COACH DOES WHAT AND WHAT EACH ONE BRINGS TO THE TABLE.   

« Reply #258 on: December 05, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
Dunlap was on the bench during the Fordham debacle - easily the worst loss in the Lavin era. 

Just sayin is all....
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

desco80

« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »
[...] YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT COACH DOES WHAT AND WHAT EACH ONE BRINGS TO THE TABLE. 

You are right about that.  I'm not at practice.   All I have to go on is their resume and reputation. 
Ed Cooley (Shurina) implied that maybe we were missing Dunlap, or at least could use him right about now.   I don't think that's a crazy notion. 

Yesterday's loss obviously isn't all on the staff.   And coach D was far from perfect as Choz points out.   But when you've played 8 games and your defensive system changes from game to game and generally looks like slop - it's worth questioning whether you miss/could use an assistant coach who came here to install a defense.