Mo vs. JaKarr

• 30 replies

tnice

Mo vs. JaKarr
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
Something I posted in another thread made me think about this topic. I think it's kind of natural to compare Mo and JaKarr.
I realize we havent gotten to the BE part of the schedule where Mo proved himself and JKS has yet to do so. But I'm curious to hear everyone's take on skills, upside, NBA potential, etc for the two.

Personally I was fully prepared for JaKarr to be a poor man's Mo. Similar size, similar but not the exact same skill set. I expected him to come along much slower than he has, but at this point in the season I think he's further along than Mo was last year. Even though he was advertised as more of a slasher than Mo, his shooting has been way better than anyone thought. He definitely doesnt have Mo's range and, NJIT game aside, isnt nearly the rebounder Mo turned out to be (at least  not yet). His handle is surprisingly good and way better than Mo's. Both were good shot blockets for their size and position. Defensively, tough for me to judge JKS this season and tough to compare him to Mo considering he was playing out of position last yr.

Thoughts?

MCNPA

Re: Mo vs. JaKarr
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
I too thought Jakarr would be much more raw.  Jakarr is further than Moe at the same
Lint, even shooting-wise.  Moe has a great smoothness to his game, but Jakarr has a killer motor and athleticism.  Surprising to me is his jumper which makes him a huge threat.  Jakarr still needs to learn how to take his man off the dribble and explode past him.  He can take just about any defender off the dribble, especially down the baseline, but needs to get more confident.  I'm sure he will add to his repertoire.  Jakarr has looked great early on.

DFF6

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
I, too, am impressed with JaKarr thus far, especially considering how badly he played in his first game.  That said, I think we should wait on comparisons with Moe until we see what JaKarr does against the big boys.  For example, watching Moe battle Duke last year, almost willing us to win that game, was one of the best performances on the hardwood of any SJU player I have ever watched (spanning over 20 years).   That said, I think JaKarr has potential to be just as good, if not better than Moe, if he continues to develop and hone his skills (at the college level, of course ;)).

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
It's a shame they couldn't have played together last year.  Wonder what the difference in wins would have been?

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
I too thought Jakarr would be much more raw.  Jakarr is further than Moe at the same
Lint, even shooting-wise.  Moe has a great smoothness to his game, but Jakarr has a killer motor and athleticism.  Surprising to me is his jumper which makes him a huge threat.  Jakarr still needs to learn how to take his man off the dribble and explode past him.  He can take just about any defender off the dribble, especially down the baseline, but needs to get more confident.  I'm sure he will add to his repertoire.  Jakarr has looked great early on.

I love Sampson,but Moe was plenty more polished.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect Sampson's shot to keep falling like this.  Moe had a very nice shot although his %'s did not reflect that as a frosh.  In terms of athleticism...Sampson is on a different planet.  I also give the edge to Sampson in rebounding and defense. 

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:02:52 PM »
Too small a sample size to make any judgements. Gotta see what Jakarr do on the biggest stages.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »
Too small a sample size to make any judgements. Gotta see what Jakarr do on the biggest stages.

On point as usual Choz!

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »
I fear that Jakarr is a one and done 1st round draft pick like Mo.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »

I love Sampson,but Moe was plenty more polished.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect Sampson's shot to keep falling like this.  Moe had a very nice shot although his %'s did not reflect that as a frosh.  In terms of athleticism...Sampson is on a different planet.  I also give the edge to Sampson in rebounding and defense.

Moe was certainly smoother, but was his outside jumper where Sampson's is now?  Moe was better feeling his way around the rim early.  Jakarr seems more comfortable in the midrange.  Moe never found s outside game while at SJU which is something I thought he'd be real good at.  Tough to compare.  Both are so different.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
i wish we got to see them play together. 

desco80

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »

Moe was certainly smoother, but was his outside jumper where Sampson's is now?  Moe was better feeling his way around the rim early.  Jakarr seems more comfortable in the midrange.  Moe never found s outside game while at SJU which is something I thought he'd be real good at.  Tough to compare.  Both are so different.

Can't even compare their "outside" jumpers, Jakarr hasn't hit a 3 yet.  And he's only taken 1.   
I think they both have good midrange games.   So far Jakarr has been extra impressive in that area.   But like you said, gotta see him take it to the rim more. 

Moose

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »

Can't even compare their "outside" jumpers, Jakarr hasn't hit a 3 yet.  And he's only taken 1.   
I think they both have good midrange games.   So far Jakarr has been extra impressive in that area.   But like you said, gotta see him take it to the rim more. 

Because he knows his limitations.  I love Moe but his 3 wasn't falling last year and he kept hoisting it.  Obviously we didn't have the options we have this year.  Its amazing how many players salivate over the 3 when meanwhile their chances of hitting the shot increase dramatically with a step or 2 in.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »
Different players, I think the comparison if forced. Moe was smother and better around the rim and also a better rebounder, if he got his hands on it it was coming down with him. Jakarr's shot has been money so far and I think it will translate to him being able to attack the basket more often. His handle in the open court is impressive but sometime I wish he would give it up sooner.

Its a close call but I would give the edge to Moe
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kob24

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »
Guys u can't compare them at all. Apple and oranges

Poison

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 02:35:56 PM »
They have both started with similar production, but Moe arrived polished. He could do it all. Jakarr needs work.

desco80

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »

Because he knows his limitations.  I love Moe but his 3 wasn't falling last year and he kept hoisting it.  Obviously we didn't have the options we have this year.  Its amazing how many players salivate over the 3 when meanwhile their chances of hitting the shot increase dramatically with a step or 2 in.

I would agree with that; Moe probably took more 3's than he should have.   Also, I haven't looked at the numbers, but I think his 3pt shooting% went down as the season wore on (fatigue from 40mins a night?) whatever the reason I remember him hitting more regularly in the early part of the year.

There is a reverse though Moose, if defenses don't respect your shot then they guard you 4 or 5 steps in from the arc, that makes it much more difficult to drive by and go to the rim when you defender lags off like that.  Dom has that problem, and Amir to a lesser degree... nobody plays them tight because they regularly pass up wide open 3s.   

There's a balance, know your limitations - but don't pass up wide open 3's.   

Moose

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »

I would agree with that; Moe probably took more 3's than he should have.   Also, I haven't looked at the numbers, but I think his 3pt shooting% went down as the season wore on (fatigue from 40mins a night?) whatever the reason I remember him hitting more regularly in the early part of the year.

There is a reverse though Moose, if defenses don't respect your shot then they guard you 4 or 5 steps in from the arc, that makes it much more difficult to drive by and go to the rim when you defender lags off like that.  Dom has that problem, and Amir to a lesser degree... nobody plays them tight because they regularly pass up wide open 3s.   

Those guys you mentioned haven't proven they can hit 3's yet
Remember who broke the Slice news

redslope

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »
Rather than compare them, I can only imagine if both were eleigible to play together last year.  One would go back a long time in our history as to when we had such a pair of bookend forwards (if ever)--wow it would have been fun seeing them together.  now we can only appreciate each young man for what he individually brings to the table.

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
Rather than compare them, I can only imagine if both were eleigible to play together last year.  One would go back a long time in our history as to when we had such a pair of bookend forwards (if ever)--wow it would have been fun seeing them together.  now we can only appreciate each young man for what he individually brings to the table.

Forget last year. What about this year
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »

Those guys you mentioned haven't proven they can hit 3's yet

I was hoping Dom and Amir would come into this season with some kind of jumpshot. If either of them could learn to hit an open spot up jumper it would improve their overall games tremendously.