Our "half court offense"

• 68 replies

tnice

Our "half court offense"
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:39:12 AM »
I've been watching the Lavin coached Johnnies for three years now and for the life of me, I cant figure out what our half court offense is, or really, if we even have one.

Half court offenses are easily recognizable..the Princeton offense, the UCLA 1-4, the Dribble Drive, the thing Kansas does ( i think they just call it fist). They all have their base set and options based on what the defense is doing. Ball screens, off the ball screens, back door cutters, designed drive and dish...not complicated stuff. Anyone who has even a passing knowledge of basketball will recognize what a team is doing in the halfcourt about halfway through the first half of a game because the patterns are the same, just with different outcomes based on what the players decide to do. As I said in the opening, I've been watching the Lavin Johnnies for three years now, at least 15 games in person, and I dont have the foggiest idea of what theyre doing on offense after that stupid, time-wasting weave. And the frightening thing is, i dont think the players know either. It would be one thing if we were buring some clock on every possession and then consistently getting good shots off of ball movement or drive and kick. But we dont...the majority of the time we get a forced shot off the bounce, especially at the end of games or when things get tight. Nobody moving, nobody screening..just one guy taking his man off the dribble. It looks like playground basketball. How is this possible?

You can talk all you want about rebounding and the other deficiencies, but this is the core problem. The same combination of length and quickness that everyone talks about as an asset on D would be a huge asset in any kind of properly executed motion offense. We'd be back dooring people to death and DLo and Marco would be getting more open looks. Instead, we get PG4 and DLo forcing contested shots at the buzzer. With a young team especially, you need to have a system they can fall back on when their nuts get tight rather than having them freelance. Otherwise you have what has happened to us constantly over the last two years...giving away leads over and over due mostly to bad decision making as the lead evaporates.

Branch will help, because he thinks like a PG, but only a little. If they stay w this non offense offense, his impact will be mostly in transition because it doesnt help to have a guy who actually looks for cutters when there are no cutters ( at least not by design, as far as I can tell). It's maddening and unfortunately I dont think its going to change unless there's a major shift in philosophy.

Re: Our "half court offense"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:46:45 PM »
Agree. Think Lavin needs to bring in a new offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator and he needs to be like joe Lapchick-the figurehead of the program. Where is all the supposed great coaching we were supposed to have. Where is the strategy.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
Offense will be better when Harrison leaves after this year.

Chilleb

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »
How do you figure? Where will the offense come from? Amir? .. Dom ? .. Greene?

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »

More evenly distrubuted. I'm starting to think the team would be better without Harrison.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »

More evenly distrubuted. I'm starting to think the team would be better without Harrison.

Dont agree. He puts up some bad shots, but theres so many players on this team who can only do one thing and are easy to guard. Dom really needs to be limited to 10 minutes, hes defense is so overrated.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Chilleb

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »

Dont agree. He puts up some bad shots, but theres so many players on this team who can only do one thing and are easy to guard. Dom really needs to be limited to 10 minutes, hes defense is so overrated.
Dom is a very poor mans Ronnie brewer

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 02:43:47 PM »

Baldi bringin it.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »

Dom is a very poor mans Ronnie brewer

Emphasis on the "very"

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »

Completely disagree with you

What the team needs to do is put Branch on the court alongside Harrison, so D'Angelo doesn't have to do everything himself

I love Greene, but he just it not creating any opportunities for the players on the court

Poison

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »
Phil Greene runs the Derek Brown offense.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »

Poison wit the wisdom.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »
i'll go back even farther-George Garrison. He made Geno and the 2 Maliks look like Isaiah Thomas. (Garrison was a tag along recruit that played with david Russell in HS and stood like a statue on the perimeter swinging the ball from side to side. Never made a play, never penetrated. So actually PG4 is a much better player than that after all. Also happened to like DB just not as a point.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

With a little bit of the Victor Cruz salsa at the top of the key

Moose

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »
The thought of this team without Harrison is downright scary.  He can score from anywhere on the court and if he didnt have a temper nobody would say half the things they say about him.  He is own only legit threat every single time the ball is in his hands.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »

Would a player willingly choose not to become the all time leading scorer in SJU history to take a gig in the Italian league?   :crazy2:

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
C.R.E.A.M.

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »

Would a player willingly choose not to become the all time leading scorer in SJU history to take a gig in the Italian league?   :crazy2:

This is the same guy who would rather play on his phone than be on time for team bus. What fo you think?  Harrison might be the leading score, but he won't be leading St Johns anywhere else. Certainly not the dance

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »

This is the same guy who would rather play on his phone than be on time for team bus. What fo you think?  Harrison might be the leading score, but he won't be leading St Johns anywhere else. Certainly not the dance
Disturbing post game quote by Dlo in the ny post "so it really doesn't matter" responding to a question if there is concern regarding the post season because he said we can beat some of the top teams and overcome our loses. But a home loss like this one can mean the difference if you are a bubble team which at this point it appears we will be lucky to be.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »

Disturbing post game quote by Dlo in the ny post "so it really doesn't matter" responding to a question if there is concern regarding the post season because he said we can beat some of the top teams and overcome our loses. But a home loss like this one can mean the difference if you are a bubble team which at this point it appears we will be lucky to be.

I know kicking on Dee has been the fun thing to do lately but lets remember who wrote that piece and how he was tweeting negative crap all night last night.  He can mix and match quotes to make them fit all nice and controversial in his write up.
Remember who broke the Slice news