New York’s Best Basketball Players, As Picked by Insiders

• 66 replies

Re: New York’s Best Basketball Players, As Picked by Insiders
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Konchalski the only 1 to have Kenny on the list?

Poison

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
If Telfair makes it, then Lopez certainly makes it. Lopez was one of the top 5 NYC players of all time.

Happy

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
Konchalski the only 1 to have Kenny on the list?

Most dominant player I ever saw in HS with Mashburn coming in second.  Overall a nice tribute to NYC basketball history.  That history would continue to expand if some of the best players didn't transfer out of state or to prep schools

Happy

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
If Telfair makes it, then Lopez certainly makes it. Lopez was one of the top 5 NYC players of all time.

No!  Lopez was fantastic in HS and deserves his place amongst the best .. But you could think of at least 10 players who were better all time in NYC . 

Poison

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »

No!  Lopez was fantastic in HS and deserves his place amongst the best .. But you could think of at least 10 players who were better all time in NYC . 

For High School, Lopez was the best of his time period. It is really hard to compare a player from 1994 to one from 1964.
But I would definitely take him over Telfair and Marbury.

sju89tr

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
You could ,make a list of 100 great NYC players and still leave guys off. Sad that NYC doesn't have the same distinction anymore due to the prep and private school options.   

Happy

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »

For High School, Lopez was the best of his time period. It is really hard to compare a player from 1994 to one from 1964.

Telfair yes.. Marbury no IMO. And I'm not comparing him to players from 1964.  Forget the points he scored but I could argue that players like Robert phelps and Arnold Bernard were better.  I guess I just wasn't his biggest fan in HS.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »

Telfair yes.. Marbury no IMO. And I'm not comparing him to players from 1964.  Forget the points he scored but I could argue that players like Robert phelps and Arnold Bernard were better.  I guess I just wasn't his biggest fan in HS.

Understood. There were a lot of players who we have forgotten about that earn a spot. It's a tough call because of all of the parity. NYC, for at least the last 20 years has been ridiculously overrated. Most of these guys leave their games in high school. Lopez and Telfair are stellar examples.

Happy

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »

Understood. There were a lot of players who we have forgotten about that earn a spot. It's a tough call because of all of the parity. NYC, for at least the last 20 years has been ridiculously overrated. Most of these guys leave their games in high school. Lopez and Telfair are stellar examples.

It certainly goes in circles with the overrated / underated thing .  It hurts when a " supposed"
Next big NY thing comes out and flops such as Lenny etc.. But I'll tell ya when kids like Autry, Reese, and Reeves were playing .. It was most certainly underated.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »

It certainly goes in circles with the overrated / underated thing .  It hurts when a " supposed"
Next big NY thing comes out and flops such as Lenny etc.. But I'll tell ya when kids like Autry, Reese, and Reeves were playing .. It was most certainly underated.

What i remember from Autry's playing days is that he never lived up to the hype. As a senior, he was very though. Stole one from us at MSG late in the year.

Chilleb

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »

Then you take him over Kenny Anderson because that's all Telfair and marbury did was break all his records

Chilleb

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »

In telfairs defense he's a solid backup in the league now going on his 9th year. That's solid.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »

In telfairs defense he's a solid backup in the league now going on his 9th year. That's solid.

Telfair has had a lucrative career in the NBA. I was never disputing that. But compared to hype and overall attention that he was given, the guy is a dramatic example of a city that is nothing close to what it thinks it is.

Chicago has D Wade. Philly has Kobe. We have Telfair?

Chilleb

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »

Telfair has had a lucrative career in the NBA. I was never disputing that. But compared to hype and overall attention that he was given, the guy is a dramatic example of a city that is nothing close to what it thinks it is.

Why use Telfair in the scenario when you coul use Marbury, Carmelo etc for every ny overhype there's def a Philly and chi town overhype, it's the name of the game. And since Telfair made the early jump there was always questions of if he would be all star caliber in the league , bottom line he dominated highschool from day 1 probably would of dominated college too so no over hype there. I don't believe Telfair under achieved never really heard anybody raving about him being the next coming of isaiah or archibald. The hype was he would dominate college and was good enough to go straight to the pros which he was. There was only one guard taken after him in that draft that was better ( Jameer Nelson) , arguably devonte west but Telfair has never played on a good team to settle that argument. 

Poison

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »

Why use Telfair in the scenario when you coul use Marbury, Carmelo etc for every ny overhype there's def a Philly and chi town overhype, it's the name of the game. And since Telfair made the early jump there was always questions of if he would be all star caliber in the league , bottom line he dominated highschool from day 1 probably would of dominated college too so no over hype there. I don't believe Telfair under achieved never really heard anybody raving about him being the next coming of isaiah or archibald. The hype was he would dominate college and was good enough to go straight to the pros which he was. There was only one guard taken after him in that draft that was better ( Jameer Nelson) , arguably devonte west but Telfair has never played on a good team to settle that argument. 

Fair enough. I guess when it comes to hype, people absorb it differently. With Telfair, it hit me like he was just another in a long line of top ten NYC kids who's star shined brightest in high school. As far as Steph goes, I don't put him in the same category as a true star. He's a 2nd tier player IMO. If he was smarter, he could have been great. But as we all know, he wasn't.

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »
Most dominant player I ever saw in HS with Mashburn coming in second.

Happy - Jamal was awesome in high school but he can't be mentioned with this people. The kid didn't try hard all the time and coasted thorough games. This is just a fact.

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 07:58:08 AM »
This such a great list because it gives perspective as to who you saw play.

I don't think anyone can remotely argue that Lew Alcindor is the best player to ever come out of New York.

I think its very interesting that some many people have Bernard King llisted because most people I know will always tell you Albert King was a better high school player. I am not 100% sure but I think Albert King was a top 5 player in the country his Senior year at Fort Hamilton, he was in the same class as Ralph Sampson.

Its hard to clarify who you have seen play in high school and who you saw play and could appreciate good they were. I saw Chris Mullin play a bunch of times in high school but I was a little kid and didn't understand what I was watching.

For me- Stephon Marbury is the best player I have ever seen play in high school. He was unguardable when he was at Lincoln and did what ever he wanted on the court. its a shame what happened to him because he could have been all time great player.

I played against Kenny Anderson my entire life and he was amazing but I don't think I appreciated how good he as when I was playing against him, the same with with Malik Sealy.

Happy

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 08:24:36 AM »
Most dominant player I ever saw in HS with Mashburn coming in second.

Happy - Jamal was awesome in high school but he can't be mentioned with this people. The kid didn't try hard all the time and coasted thorough games. This is just a fact.

You won't get much argument from me in regards to his effort.. however talent wise sheesh.. scored 40 on my team in a scrimmage as easy as it is to order a cup of coffee.   :)

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 08:35:20 AM »
A funny story about Mashburn....

I went to Xavier...  and my buddy Jimmy Riches dropped 41 points on Hayes in their first meeting - huge upset win for Xavier that year -  and Mashburn was "covering" him, the story actually got some coverage in the News & Post....

They played later in the year and Jimmy told me they walked out on the court and Mashburn walked right over to him and quioetly said "not again". Mashburn went out and played all out - Hayes destroyed Xavier....