Re: Villanova game thread
« Reply #560 on: January 03, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
Not a lot of great basketball movies
1. Hoosiers
2. One on One
3. Teen Wolf co- starring Norm Roberts as Teen Wolf's coach
4. Blue Chips-just for basketball scenes, movie sucked
5. He got Game???? Terrible movie

The "Other" Dream Team. It's about Lithuania gaining independence. Great film. It's on cable now.

jayro

« Reply #561 on: January 03, 2013, 05:05:48 PM »
From what I saw, SJU would have won if the game was called evenly.
One of the worst homer called games I've seen in awhile.
If one or two of the awful calls went the correct way-we don't go into overtime- we win in regulation.
We beat NOVA-just couldn't beat the refs.

LJSA

« Reply #562 on: January 03, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »

Greatest hoops movie ever:

The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh

Starring Elijah Ingram?

No, but it starred someone almost as talented as Ingram: Dr. J.

« Reply #563 on: January 03, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »
Not a lot of great basketball movies
1. Hoosiers
2. One on One
3. Teen Wolf co- starring Norm Roberts as Teen Wolf's coach
4. Blue Chips-just for basketball scenes, movie sucked
5. He got Game???? Terrible movie

My favorite was Glory Road.  Great, great movie

mkras99

« Reply #564 on: January 03, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
Fast Break.

« Reply #565 on: January 03, 2013, 08:30:16 PM »
What's the matter little boy.  Did you get no love from your  mommy that you have to put down others?

Thank you for calling me little, that is the first time that has happened since 1984..

My mother loved me plenty but unfoprtunately she died tow years ago so I can't blame her for anything.

But you have yourself a nice day - you are certainly adding tons to the board of late.

Now that's more like it, thanks for the compliment.  You are not alone in the loss of a mother department.

« Reply #566 on: January 03, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »
This teams needs Sanchez and Gift just to keep up w the BE. If Nova dunked on us at will, what is Cinci gonna do? Management of the roster is worse than a Norm Roberts team. There I said it.
Sad to say at this point I concur   :(

« Reply #567 on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
-33 in an overtime game + the ridiculous T is a disastrous effort.  Ever hear the one about the backup quarterback on a losing team?

And you guys are wondering why Hollywood didn't play him more???

Well for starters lets take away the whole -12 in OT.  That was a wash for everyone.  Nobody could have had any confidence in us winning that game in OT with the whole team having 4 fouls it seemed.

-21 then still seems like a lot.  Of course the next biggest chunk was -10 to end the 1st half.  I dont think anyone here has bad eyesight but its clear the offense moves better with Branch in the game.  Which is why these numbers are all the more head scratching.

He had the worst +/- on the team by far.  Spin it anyway you'ld like.

Not spinning it.  Just putting the game in perspective.  Its personal opinion and personally I'd rather have Branch in the game with the ball in his hands than Phil.  He played less minutes.  Shot the ball better and pretty much had identical A to TO.

I too understand that the Aggie was highly regarded out of high school and so rightfully should and will be a big part of what we're doing going forward.  I want him to succeed as much as the next poster.  But could point guard populare have one decent game before we canonize him and demonize Greenjeans? 

He's dished out 5 asstsss. to 8 To's in his two outings.  Heard he was a defensive stalwart but Robby Benson et. all were blowing by him like he had cement shoes.  Granted you could say that about many of our quick, athletic defenders.  I would be praising him for his good offensive outing except for the stupid a$$ T that cost us the game.  A player still in his probationary apprenticeship with us should have been better behaved.
:o Bingo!
WTD!

« Reply #568 on: January 03, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
There is plenty to pick apart in this game but this game is not on Coach Lavin. I do think his in game coaching leaves some to be desired but he can't control effort on the defensive end and he can't control shot selection by some players.

When you let up 80+ points in regulation Big East play, you don't deserve to win the game

A few things that stuck out -
- someone mentioned Branch's T being a big moment - just not true, esepcially since we had a 3pt lead with under ywo minutes to play.
- Pinkston was a beast in the paint and we had no answer for him at all. This type of player will cause us problems all season.
- The refs did suck and a 2/1 FT attempt advantage is just out of control. I don't think the refs cost us the game but we did get screwed a little bit.
 - Phil Greene is a role player at best and is just not a starter in the Big East, he just takes too many bad shots and any game that sees him with 16 FGAs is probably not going to be a W for us.
 - LOVE Amir Garrett, he has the heart of a lion, but he is just not strong enough to defend anyone in the block and to put that on him is not fair to the player. You are putting the kid in a position to fail.
- Anyone who think JaKarr Sampson is remotely ready for the NBA better rethink his position.

We are a .500 team at best this year and there is not a single game remaining on schedule that can be taken for granted as a win.

Agree completely! Keep thinking of the three point lead, momentum and Garrett foul on a three. Killed us.

Garrett fouling the three point shooter was a microcosm of the defensive end of the game for us.  We played home run-or-strikeout defense all game.  We forced a bunch of turnovers but didn't play solid defense at all.  I saw too many guys playing on-the-ball defense standing straight up and in no sort of stance.

Good teams get stops at end of game defensive stands most of the time through solid defense and not having to jump most passing lanes.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #569 on: January 03, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
-33 in an overtime game + the ridiculous T is a disastrous effort.  Ever hear the one about the backup quarterback on a losing team?

And you guys are wondering why Hollywood didn't play him more???

Well for starters lets take away the whole -12 in OT.  That was a wash for everyone.  Nobody could have had any confidence in us winning that game in OT with the whole team having 4 fouls it seemed.

-21 then still seems like a lot.  Of course the next biggest chunk was -10 to end the 1st half.  I dont think anyone here has bad eyesight but its clear the offense moves better with Branch in the game.  Which is why these numbers are all the more head scratching.

He had the worst +/- on the team by far.  Spin it anyway you'ld like.

Not spinning it.  Just putting the game in perspective.  Its personal opinion and personally I'd rather have Branch in the game with the ball in his hands than Phil.  He played less minutes.  Shot the ball better and pretty much had identical A to TO.

I too understand that the Aggie was highly regarded out of high school and so rightfully should and will be a big part of what we're doing going forward.  I want him to succeed as much as the next poster.  But could point guard populare have one decent game before we canonize him and demonize Greenjeans? 

He's dished out 5 asstsss. to 8 To's in his two outings.  Heard he was a defensive stalwart but Robby Benson et. all were blowing by him like he had cement shoes.  Granted you could say that about many of our quick, athletic defenders.  I would be praising him for his good offensive outing except for the stupid a$$ T that cost us the game.  A player still in his probationary apprenticeship with us should have been better behaved.
:o Bingo!
WTD!
I agree, thought that Lavin trusted Greene more at this point than Jamal. Hope JB has more upside at the point, he seems far more aggressive as a scorer than as a pure point guard. Time will tell and I don't mean by next week.  Phil dribbling at the top of the key going nowhere can drive anyone nuts, until he hit a few shots, but still.

« Reply #570 on: January 03, 2013, 09:06:09 PM »
I would caution blaming the Coach for the players' lack of excution. If Coach designs a play were D'Lo comes off a down screen to get open for the ball and he doesn't get it, is that the Coach's fault? Green, Pointer, and Garrett (love his heart) deserve limited minutes. Marco shouldn't even see the floor. As a team, defensively, they are not playing together and that is on Coach.   

It was playing Phil at the point in the waning minutes of regulation that was on Coach. Phil cannot execute at the point, especially in the halfcourt, like Jamal can.

So while it's on the players to execute, it's on Coach to have the right players on the floor to execute in the most efficient manner possible.

Agreed but Phil hit some big shots down the stretch that got us to OT, you cant have it both ways

Him hitting shots has nothing to do with Choz statement..He is an off guard, plain and simple...he will thrive in that role...not as a PG...Ball should have been in Branch's hands...it cost us the game...

Phil is a great asset andfilled in admirably while we were without a PG...needs to be used corrcetly now...

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:06:36 PM by section3 »

« Reply #571 on: January 03, 2013, 10:04:52 PM »
1) "Hoop Dreams" - Outside of a Michael Moore masterpiece, about the best documentary you can find - Broad critical acclaim

2) "The Harlem Globetrotters" - 1951 film starring Marques Haynes as himself and the foxiest sistah to ever grace the silver screen; Dorothy ( no relation to Bobby ) Dandridge 

3) "Eddie" - Only saw a small part of it last week but a large speaking part by Sealy and a M. Jackson appearance make it the best Johnny representation in a film since "Coming to America".

« Reply #572 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:21 PM »
White men can't jump?

« Reply #573 on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:54 PM »
White men can't jump?

Rosie Perez in the STJ tshirt. OMG homes.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #574 on: January 03, 2013, 10:32:44 PM »
White men can't jump?

Rosie Perez in the STJ tshirt. OMG homes.

Silver dollars on those hangers

« Reply #575 on: January 04, 2013, 01:17:20 AM »
Rosie and her husband sat in the row in front of me at ringside at a Hopkins middleweight fight at the Garden a few years ago. It was impossible to concentrate on the fight. I don't think she was not wearing a SJU t shirt but but was red and tight and I could never focus on the letters. The overall impact was not conducive to reading or any form of cognitive thought.

« Reply #576 on: January 04, 2013, 08:41:53 AM »
White men can't jump?

Bad job by me with that omission. Takes the 4th spot on best basketball movies

« Reply #577 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
White men can't jump?

Bad job by me with that omission. Takes the 4th spot on best basketball movies

Above The Rim has a New York flavor to it.   Here is a good list:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/best-basketball-movies-of-all-time.html

SJUFAN

« Reply #578 on: January 04, 2013, 10:13:19 AM »
I would caution blaming the Coach for the players' lack of excution. If Coach designs a play were D'Lo comes off a down screen to get open for the ball and he doesn't get it, is that the Coach's fault? Green, Pointer, and Garrett (love his heart) deserve limited minutes. Marco shouldn't even see the floor. As a team, defensively, they are not playing together and that is on Coach.   

It was playing Phil at the point in the waning minutes of regulation that was on Coach. Phil cannot execute at the point, especially in the halfcourt, like Jamal can.

So while it's on the players to execute, it's on Coach to have the right players on the floor to execute in the most efficient manner possible.

Agreed but Phil hit some big shots down the stretch that got us to OT, you cant have it both ways

Him hitting shots has nothing to do with Choz statement..He is an off guard, plain and simple...he will thrive in that role...not as a PG...Ball should have been in Branch's hands...it cost us the game...

Phil is a great asset andfilled in admirably while we were without a PG...needs to be used corrcetly now...

It costing us the game I believe is a strong statement. We scored 83 points at the end of regulation, not 63. Although Jamal maybe a better option at the point we still scored enough to win, scoring wasn't the issue. The problem was our defense, if we stop them, we win. That cost us the game.

pmg911

« Reply #579 on: January 04, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »
are not alone in the loss of a mother department.

Could be true but you are certainly alone in a few departments.