Catholic 7 Potential TV Deal

• 137 replies
Re: Catholic 7 Potential TV Deal
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
Dont agree with the need to bring Gonzaga in. We have the 7. Butler has all but said they are in,8. Then maybe you can cherry pick among Creighton, Xavier, Dayton, St Joes, St Louis, etc.

Gonzaga is attractive, but money isn't always what you make, its what you keep. The other sports; soccer, womens basketball, baseball, etc. will also be traveling. traveling costs money. Traveling costs can be kept down if we stayed in the eastern half of the US versus traveling coast to coast.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 06:26:26 PM »
I still want Gonzaga. Instant credibility.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »

And I still want to date a super model. Not gonna happen . . .

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »
Credibility?

Georgetown, Villanova and Marquette are just as credible as Gonzaga. even more. These three programs have NCAA championships and deep history.

redslope

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »

Nice team BUT see what others say--it is financially a no go from the beginning.  This is an all sports conference and travel to Spokane for all of our  teams would be rediculous in terms of cost.  In addition, it would take athletes out of classroom for too much time.  Further, mid week games from Spokane would begin at 10PM--would kill east coast audience.  Lastly, why would Gonz want to fly to east coast 6/7 times a year for BB and then home many for its other sports??
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:53:03 PM by redslope »

Tiznow

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »
Doubling or tripling your current revenue without being carried on the coattails of a BCS football program is instant credibility. 

This type of money for basketball was not in the cards two months ago. It is pretty funny that this is happening without one these blowhard conference commissioners in charge.

The Fox Sports Network could make a big run at ESPN with this league as part of their plan.  Sounds they are taking a page out the old ESPN playbook.

And no coast to coast travel please.  This is about money, but keep in mind it is a school. 

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting a deal with Gonzaga like the ACC has now with ND football.  Unfortunately I think geography is too much to overcome for them to join even for basketball only.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 11:15:57 PM »
Is there any chance that we could somehow convince big time programs with weak football teams to come to our conference and move football to a weaker conference, or get rid of football all together (i.e. Duke, Temple)?

paultzman

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »
“@VUhoops: Where is the Catholic 7 in the start-up process http://t.co/vROMdHFx

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 10:50:57 AM »
The thing with the Philadelphia schools is Villanova. Is Villanova willing to share that demographic with Temple or St Joe's?

Would St Johns share the NY market with Iona or Fordham with Seton Hall already part of the mix? Probably not. I have to think Villanova would have the same mindset.

This FOX Sports thing is a white knight that came in from the dark. Its the light at the end of the tunnel, not the oncoming train some of us feared with the breakup of the Big East. Now, can we keep the Big East name? Or do we start coming up with new conference names?

Also, who would own the archive of tapes of league games? Are they worth anything? I would think all the Syracuse, UCONN, Nova, St Johns, Gtown, Pitt, etc games over the last thirty years have value.

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 11:05:05 AM »
The thing with the Philadelphia schools is Villanova. Is Villanova willing to share that demographic with Temple or St Joe's?

Would St Johns share the NY market with Iona or Fordham with Seton Hall already part of the mix? Probably not. I have to think Villanova would have the same mindset.

One team, one city.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »

One team, one city.

Agreed.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
“@VUhoops: Where is the Catholic 7 in the start-up process http://t.co/vROMdHFx

Nova fans still wanna play big time football.
They should lay off the drugs.

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »

This FOX Sports thing is a white knight that came in from the dark. Its the light at the end of the tunnel, not the oncoming train some of us feared with the breakup of the Big East. Now, can we keep the Big East name? Or do we start coming up with new conference names?

Also, who would own the archive of tapes of league games? Are they worth anything? I would think all the Syracuse, UCONN, Nova, St Johns, Gtown, Pitt, etc games over the last thirty years have value.

Honestly, St Joes will never be a part of this conference.  They're way more mom and pop then a lot of people realize.  It'd be like trying to elevate Fordham into it :/.  Temple I think has a market.  Villanova is very much more a "suburban elitist" school with its nose thumbed up to the other universities then is St Johns which is more working class.  The difference in numbers of grads between Nova and Temple is astonishing.  Could you support 2 FBS programs in Philly?  Well you can't even support one!  I think it's definitely possible to have both.  Example, more Temple grads across PA then Nova grads.  If we want to talk about Creighton bringing in a media market of Omaha then Temple could really boost the eastern PA market outside of Philly which is much larger than Nebraska's. 

These Nova fans once again are showing how snobbish they are underestimating the costs to move to FBS and the support they will find.  They make it sound like every program makes a fortune which couldn't be father from the truth.

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
Lets say for argument's sake Villanova wants to go football...who do we take from Philly?

Temple? Which also has football ambitions.
St Joes? Previous contributor stated they are too small-town.
Drexel? Tony Chiles got a few NYC kids to go there.
Or is it [D], none of the above?

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
Wow, this league has zero juice.

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 07:47:20 PM »
Wow, this league has zero juice.

Sarcasm?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »

Moose