Rutgers Game

• 295 replies
Re: Rutgers Game
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:52 PM »
I liked Harrison's look at the end. I see him hitting that shot...just didn't fall tonight. Shake this loss off and pull off the very capable Georgetown upset.

Why, that is a shot you take when A. You are down three or B.  Down two on the road.  Down 1, you take it to the hole and make something happen.  That was a boneheaded NBA 3. A mediocre high school player would know better then that.

« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »
Only positive is I admire Sampson for wanting to take the last shot. No one else besides D-lo would have the balls to take it.

FT shooting, bad first half rebounding, and another poor start. Can't be down 10 in first 5 minutes every game.

I don't think Branch is the answer at the point, but Phil certainly isn't. I'm hoping Branch is a case of rust and his eye not 100%.  If not, we are in trouble. 

I am of the opinion that this is more on the players than the staff.  Dumb turnovers and missed FT aren't something the staff has control over. 

I dont get what people have against branch. He played good. dished out 3 assists which accounted for 8 points and a point from himself. IN 8 MINUTES!

I hope I'm wrong.. I'm not seeing it.  Why didn't he play down the stretch again?  You have to admit, he has been careless with the ball in limited action.   I will gladly admit I'm wrong if/when he turns into the PG this team needs.

He hasnt been super protective with the ball, I think 3/4ths of his TO's have been the same one he had today, come down the middle on the break and not sure whether he should drive/pass/ or shoot. That might be because he hasnt played in over a year and Lavin pulls him every couple of minutes.

What is absolutly 100% obvious to me is that he can pass the ball and he can get to the hole. 2 things that phil greene 100% cant do. good enough for me. Let phill spot up on the wing and just worry about scoring.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2013, 09:31:39 PM »
Its obvious watching this team, that they are not well coached and that the coaches dont have a very good eye for detail when it comes to technique and excecution in practice, and it shows during the games.

Im beginning to see the writing on the wall, and it doesnt look good for Lavins tenure here. I personally am getting sick of the guy and his lack of X & Os accumen, and am starting to think of who else I would like to see coach here (Hoiberg, Shaka Smart....), just someone who can coach!   >:(

I cant tell if you are serious?
The ball was in Harrison's hand for almost the last 5 minutes, what else do you want. He didn't have it at the end, if hits his foul shots we win. I don't think we had one 3 pt. opportunity the whole night, ball hung on the rim. We seemed to a bit short tonight on so many occasions. On to Georgetown.

« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »
Agree with comments that Greene should be playing less and Branch more, and that it was not a bad thing for Sampson to want to take that shot.

Even though this is disappointing (oh, and I thought the officiating sucked), and our free throws were terrible, I prefer to go down with the ball in our teams hands controlling the outcome.  We were in a position to win that thing.

Chilleb

« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »
Only positive is I admire Sampson for wanting to take the last shot. No one else besides D-lo would have the balls to take it.

FT shooting, bad first half rebounding, and another poor start. Can't be down 10 in first 5 minutes every game.

I don't think Branch is the answer at the point, but Phil certainly isn't. I'm hoping Branch is a case of rust and his eye not 100%.  If not, we are in trouble. 

I am of the opinion that this is more on the players than the staff.  Dumb turnovers and missed FT aren't something the staff has control over.
You've gotta be kidding me, there is zero continuity on the offensive end of our team, payers don't implement the system the coaches do. And rotation is flat out horrible. What constitutes Phil to pay so much ?? He gave us nothing tonight. Mike Poole is the hero for rutgers tonight, we don't give any guy( Marco, Felix, branch,jones) any chance to have games like that. The coach is playing thos guys that if they don't produce in 30 seconds there not gonna play. This is not the pros it's college basketball watch a couple of games and your gonna see a couple of foolish mistakes but our mistakes are coming from lack of movement and inability to identify weakness's in opposing defenses. There is absolutely 0 down the stretch in game coaching, every team in the d1 ranks should have a 8 seconds or less in game play to run in that situation. We have 4 dribbles a pump fake and a 29 footer.

« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »
Amase: poster of the thread.

Chilleb: bringin harsh, harsh reality
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »
Everyone is so quick to point the finger. The team lost, not the coaches and not the players but everyone lost.

Agreed.  It was ugly today both ways but a few more free throws and SJU wins ugly.

1 small positive.  They are playing much better defensively.

Bottom line is they are going to have a pissed off  Georgetown team and an exceptional ND team coming in.

Need to man up.  This loss sucked.

« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »
I'm not going to blame the coaches for anything.  That was a FROSH decision by Sampson to force that 3 (even though I admire him for wanting to win it for the team).  As for Lavin, I thank God for him everyday.  He is building something at SJU and anyone who suffered through the Roberts era can see we're moving in a positive direction.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2013, 09:37:01 PM »
This was a horrific loss.  If you can't beat Rutgers at home, goodnight.  Absolutely no coaching going on at the end of that game, none.  Bad shot by Harrison who should have had the ball in the last possession. Could he not have driven and got fouled?  The Cinci game means crap after this loss.  I am totally disgusted.

Just Awfull!!!!!!
coaches can't be at the line...your best FT shooter can. The 3 pt shot was greedy but he had a good look. The season isn't over, but the pressure is building.

Listen free throws hurt as just as much as the poor offensive continuity , rotation, crunch time coaching, missed layups and turn overs stop bringing the game just to free throws because it is convenient, the game wasn't a free throw shooting contest it was a 40 minute basketball game

The big issue is that if your best player is at the line with 5mins left and he goes 1 and 4 at the line, that changes the game dramatically. I think this is an asterisk for Harrison. I bet he will not let that happen again. Hopefully this game  makes Harrison turn into a Jeter type of player. Jeter doesn't get better in the playoffs or crucial situations, he just stays consistent and he wants to be in those tough crucial situations in the game. If Harrison can learn from this and channel this (I think he will) game can be the best thing that happens to him...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2013, 09:37:18 PM »

You've gotta be kidding me, there is zero continuity on the offensive end of our team, payers don't implement the system the coaches do. And rotation is flat out horrible. What constitutes Phil to pay so much ?? He gave us nothing tonight. Mike Poole is the hero for rutgers tonight, we don't give any guy( Marco, Felix, branch,jones) any chance to have games like that. The coach is playing thos guys that if they don't produce in 30 seconds there not gonna play. This is not the pros it's college basketball watch a couple of games and your gonna see a couple of foolish mistakes but our mistakes are coming from lack of movement and inability to identify weakness's in opposing defenses. There is absolutely 0 down the stretch in game coaching, every team in the d1 ranks should have a 8 seconds or less in game play to run in that situation. We have 4 dribbles a pump fake and a 29 footer.

agree 100% regarding the short leash. And if mike poole played every game of his career against st johns he would have one hell of a career. Kid always seems to play well against us.

uwsfan

« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »
Its obvious watching this team, that they are not well coached and that the coaches dont have a very good eye for detail when it comes to technique and excecution in practice, and it shows during the games.

Im beginning to see the writing on the wall, and it doesnt look good for Lavins tenure here. I personally am getting sick of the guy and his lack of X & Os accumen, and am starting to think of who else I would like to see coach here (Hoiberg, Shaka Smart....), just someone who can coach!   >:(

Very serious. Just willing to see the ugly truth before most others are ready to.

If Lav doesnt hire a very good strategist this offseason, next season will be his last. Sampson will be gone, Harrison might be gone, Pointer & Garrett still wont be able to hit a jump shot. And more big recruits are no guarrantee, especially if we continue to lose.

desco80

« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2013, 09:39:03 PM »
we shot %56 from the foul line... let's stop acting like it was %35.    Yea, D'angelo's misses in the last 3 minutes hurt.   But such is life.  The guy is basically our entire offense.

« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »
Everyone is so quick to point the finger. The team lost, not the coaches and not the players but everyone lost.
If we can't blame someone, what else can we do on this board?

Let me see Lavin x&0's and Greene at the pt.. keep repeating

« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »

Agreed.  It was ugly today both ways but a few more free throws and SJU wins ugly.

Bottom line is they are going to have a pissed off  Georgetown team and an exceptional ND team coming in.

Gotta get better little by little day by day. People dont wanna hear it but we are a young team and we aren't gonna be perfect. When our guys become upperclassmen, we win games like this and Nova. On to Georgetown

« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2013, 09:40:06 PM »

Very serious. Just willing to see the ugly truth before most others are ready to.

If Lav doesnt hire a very good strategist this offseason, next season will be his last. Sampson will be gone, Harrison might be gone, Pointer & Garrett still wont be able to hit a jump shot. And more big recruits are no guarrantee, especially if we continue to lose.

No way lavin would ever get fired after 4 years due to an inability to coach or win games. would have to be a different reason.

« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2013, 09:40:16 PM »
This was a horrific loss.  If you can't beat Rutgers at home, goodnight.  Absolutely no coaching going on at the end of that game, none.  Bad shot by Harrison who should have had the ball in the last possession. Could he not have driven and got fouled?  The Cinci game means crap after this loss.  I am totally disgusted.

Just Awfull!!!!!!
coaches can't be at the line...your best FT shooter can. The 3 pt shot was greedy but he had a good look. The season isn't over, but the pressure is building.

The word is not greedy, the word is stupid.  It was an NBA three and down 1, basic basketball 101 tells one to drive to the basket and create.  Justifying that boneheaded shot is like justifying going for a first down on your own 30 yard line in a tie game.  The coaching staff took timeouts, didn't they prep the team for all possibilities.?  The entire ending was just Awfull period,

« Reply #216 on: January 09, 2013, 09:41:43 PM »

Just Awfull!!!!!!

The word is not greedy, the word is stupid.  It was an NBA three and down 1, basic basketball 101 tells one to drive to the basket and create.  Justifying that boneheaded shot is like justifying going for a first down on your own 30 yard line in a tie game.  The coaching staff took timeouts, didn't they prep the team for all possibilities.?  The entire ending was just Awfull period,

Agree with your point linda. Awful analogy however 

desco80

« Reply #217 on: January 09, 2013, 09:41:53 PM »

Zero percent chance next season is Lavin's last; unless he chooses to leave.   Administration is nowhere near even considering firing him.   And rightfully so. 

« Reply #218 on: January 09, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »

Gotta get better little by little day by day. People dont wanna hear it but we are a young team and we aren't gonna be perfect. When our guys become upperclassmen, we win games like this and Nova. On to Georgetown

Let's stop with the young team excuses.  Rutgers is just as young as we are.  Their players were not nearly as highly rated out of high school and it was OUR HOME GAME.  Their back court were Sophs and their front court is not nearly as talented.

« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »

Unbelievable