Rutgers Game

• 295 replies

Chilleb

Re: Rutgers Game
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »
This was a horrific loss.  If you can't beat Rutgers at home, goodnight.  Absolutely no coaching going on at the end of that game, none.  Bad shot by Harrison who should have had the ball in the last possession. Could he not have driven and got fouled?  The Cinci game means crap after this loss.  I am totally disgusted.

Just Awfull!!!!!!
coaches can't be at the line...your best FT shooter can. The 3 pt shot was greedy but he had a good look. The season isn't over, but the pressure is building.

Listen free throws hurt as just as much as the poor offensive continuity , rotation, crunch time coaching, missed layups and turn overs stop bringing the game just to free throws because it is convenient, the game wasn't a free throw shooting contest it was a 40 minute basketball game

The big issue is that if your best player is at the line with 5mins left and he goes 1 and 4 at the line, that changes the game dramatically. I think this is an asterisk for Harrison. I bet he will not let that happen again. Hopefully this game  makes Harrison turn into a Jeter type of player. Jeter doesn't get better in the playoffs or crucial situations, he just stays consistent and he wants to be in those tough crucial situations in the game. If Harrison can learn from this and channel this (I think he will) game can be the best thing that happens to him...
Harrison was due, the kid has been sensational from day one, no exaggeration this team is 2-13 without him. and our coaches have hid behind his great play, I'm not a fan of the young quotes but for a sophomore this kid is damn good, if that 2011 class was coming out again both Harrison and harkless are in that top 10 and both probably end up at , ku, ohst, unc. Imagine if Harrison played on a team where he wasn't the only threat and teams couldnt key in on him... Scaryyy how good this kid really is.

« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
we shot %56 from the foul line... let's stop acting like it was %35.    Yea, D'angelo's misses in the last 3 minutes hurt.   But such is life.  The guy is basically our entire offense.

When you lose by 2 and had a small lead late 56% is bad period.

Again people who want to rant about Lavs and these kids struggling tonight go ahead.  It is not without some merit.  Again it was a bad loss no doubt.

But 15 games left. 

« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »
Everyone is so quick to point the finger. The team lost, not the coaches and not the players but everyone lost.

Agreed.  It was ugly today both ways but a few more free throws and SJU wins ugly.

1 small positive.  They are playing much better defensively.

Bottom line is they are going to have a pissed off  Georgetown team and an exceptional ND team coming in.

Need to man up.  This loss sucked.

Gotta get better little by little day by day. People dont wanna hear it but we are a young team and we aren't gonna be perfect. When our guys become upperclassmen, we win games like this and Nova. On to Georgetown

Let's stop with the young team excuses.  Rutgers is just as young as we are.  Their players were not nearly as highly rated out of high school and it was OUR HOME GAME.  Their back court were Sophs and their front court is not nearly as talented.

rutgers had 67 minutes played by upper classmen today. and ZERO minutes from freshmen. good try though.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »
I'm no strategist, but I think since we're so deep and athletic with guys who like to run and get to the rim, I'd like to see us press hard out of the gate and cause chaos.  I hate seeing our offense come out cold and watch Phil create for himself off the dribble while the other guys watch (and go through the motions of setting picks which they're not doing).

kob24

« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »
Uwsfan watch what u wish for

gman

« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
Jut got home from the game. The only positive was meeting paultzman and seeing mjmaher, Mcnpa, and Alfredo. The rest sucked.

« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2013, 09:47:04 PM »
Everyone is so quick to point the finger. The team lost, not the coaches and not the players but everyone lost.

Agreed.  It was ugly today both ways but a few more free throws and SJU wins ugly.

Bottom line is they are going to have a pissed off  Georgetown team and an exceptional ND team coming in.

Gotta get better little by little day by day. People dont wanna hear it but we are a young team and we aren't gonna be perfect. When our guys become upperclassmen, we win games like this and Nova. On to Georgetown

Let's stop with the young team excuses.  Rutgers is just as young as we are.  Their players were not nearly as highly rated out of high school and it was OUR HOME GAME.  Their back court were Sophs and their front court is not nearly as talented.

Is not an excuse its reality. Rutgers also has 2 SR's and 2 Jr's in their rotation that played big roles in them getting the win

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
This was a horrific loss.  If you can't beat Rutgers at home, goodnight.  Absolutely no coaching going on at the end of that game, none.  Bad shot by Harrison who should have had the ball in the last possession. Could he not have driven and got fouled?  The Cinci game means crap after this loss.  I am totally disgusted.

Just Awfull!!!!!!
coaches can't be at the line...your best FT shooter can. The 3 pt shot was greedy but he had a good look. The season isn't over, but the pressure is building.

Stupid may be a little harsh. If he the three that gives the Johnnies a little breathing room. I saw TCU go for a game winning TD in overtime against West Virginia instead of tying the game. TCU won, WV is shocked (at home) and Gary Patterson is the coach with balls. Harrison had an open look, the Johnnies would have been up by two, and Harrison would have came across as a stone cold killer. Was the risk worth taking, probably not, but I don't agree with the word stupid either. 

The word is not greedy, the word is stupid.  It was an NBA three and down 1, basic basketball 101 tells one to drive to the basket and create.  Justifying that boneheaded shot is like justifying going for a first down on your own 30 yard line in a tie game.  The coaching staff took timeouts, didn't they prep the team for all possibilities.?  The entire ending was just Awfull period,
Cougar O' Malley

desco80

« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2013, 09:51:16 PM »

rutgers had 67 minutes played by upper classmen today. and ZERO minutes from freshmen. good try though.

I don't care for Linda's BS; but there's some substance behind what he's saying.   Judge was the only upperclassman who started.  Yes, Rutgers has some upperclassmen who come off the bench; arguably Poole and Johnson made all the difference today.

But 4 of their starting 5 are sophomores.   Let's not make Rutgers out to be a veteran team.   

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2013, 09:53:27 PM »

Just Awfull!!!!!!

Listen free throws hurt as just as much as the poor offensive continuity , rotation, crunch time coaching, missed layups and turn overs stop bringing the game just to free throws because it is convenient, the game wasn't a free throw shooting contest it was a 40 minute basketball game

The big issue is that if your best player is at the line with 5mins left and he goes 1 and 4 at the line, that changes the game dramatically. I think this is an asterisk for Harrison. I bet he will not let that happen again. Hopefully this game  makes Harrison turn into a Jeter type of player. Jeter doesn't get better in the playoffs or crucial situations, he just stays consistent and he wants to be in those tough crucial situations in the game. If Harrison can learn from this and channel this (I think he will) game can be the best thing that happens to him...
Harrison was due, the kid has been sensational from day one, no exaggeration this team is 2-13 without him. and our coaches have hid behind his great play, I'm not a fan of the young quotes but for a sophomore this kid is damn good, if that 2011 class was coming out again both Harrison and harkless are in that top 10 and both probably end up at , ku, ohst, unc. Imagine if Harrison played on a team where he wasn't the only threat and teams couldnt key in on him... Scaryyy how good this kid really is.

Watching him grow has been fun, he truly wants to be a leader. With more success and if he can keep his emotions in check, he can become a NYC darling. If Hardy can do it in one year, just imagine if Harrison stays for all four...That is where no other school can touch us...But the wins and consistency have to happen.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »

I don't care for Linda's BS; but there's some substance behind what he's saying.   Judge was the only upperclassman who started.  Yes, Rutgers has some upperclassmen who come off the bench; arguably Poole and Johnson made all the difference today.

But 4 of their starting 5 are sophomores.   Let's not make Rutgers out to be a veteran team.

No but Johnson was clearly their best player and he is a senior.

Again though people should vent.  This type of game drives people like me nuts and the criticism is not totally without merit.

« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »

Dane miller is  a senior and a 3 year starter.

« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »

1 small positive.  They are playing much better defensivel

You must be watching a different game.  Most of our game was played by our Sophs with only Karr and Obepka true frosh who don't usually hurt us.  Nice try yourself. They are no more experienced then we are and they are certainly far less talented.  If you argue with that fact then you don't know what you are talking about.  Who on Rutgers is as good as D Lo or Karr for that matter?

« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2013, 10:02:19 PM »

What BS girlfriend?

desco80

« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »

You're right.   I was really just playing devil's advocate because I hate hearing the young excuse.    But it's true tonight.   Poole, Johnson, Miller all played big roles. 

But; I really believe with a little better coaching our younger players would look much better.   

One positive is our defense has looked much improved the last two games.   Awful against Nova.   So that's a step in the right direction.
Unfortunately I think our half court offense is going in the opposite direction.   

« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »

You're right.   I was really just playing devil's advocate because I hate hearing the young excuse.    But it's true tonight.   Poole, Johnson, Miller all played big roles. 

But; I really believe with a little better coaching our younger players would look much better.   

One positive is our defense has looked much improved the last two games.   Awful against Nova.   So that's a step in the right direction.
Unfortunately I think our half court offense is going in the opposite direction.   

Defense better???  We gave up one easy shot/ layup after another.  We had no stops in the last 4 minutes.  Where do you see good defense?...

« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2013, 10:09:10 PM »

1 small positive.  They are playing much better defensivel

You must be watching a different game.  Most of our game was played by our Sophs with only Karr and Obepka true frosh who don't usually hurt us.  Nice try yourself. They are no more experienced then we are and they are certainly far less talented.  If you argue with that fact then you don't know what you are talking about.  Who on Rutgers is as good as D Lo or Karr for that matter?

Let me brake it down for you again.

Rutgers: 67 minutes by upperclassmen, 0 by freshmen.

St johns: 5 minutes played by upperclassmen, 67 by freshmen.

So yea st johns was definitely the older team out there today..

« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2013, 10:10:05 PM »

No worries desco, and believe me im not trying to defend the coaches.

desco80

« Reply #238 on: January 09, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »

Defense better???  We gave up one easy shot/ layup after another.  We had no stops in the last 4 minutes.  Where do you see good defense?...

Yes - the defense was significantly better than it was against either UNC Ashville or Villanova.   You hold a team below 60pts you should win the game.
Perfect? No.  A lot of easy drives to the left and off the glass in the second half.   But definitely improved. 

« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »
Rutgers is an ACC team, what you guys expect?