Rutgers Game

• 295 replies
Re: Rutgers Game
« Reply #260 on: January 10, 2013, 09:55:21 AM »
Branch has to be out there more. I like the way he runs the offense, but what don't get is why he doesn't try on defense? He's just standing there? What's going w him? He was billed as a great defender.

The matchup zone isn't really difficult to adapt to, and he's had a year of practice with the team.  I'm guessing he just needs to get used to real game speed.  I haven't really focused on his defensive deficiencies.  I have to watch the game on DVR and look for it.

« Reply #261 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:26 AM »
but what don't get is why he doesn't try on defense? He's just standing there? What's going w him? He was billed as a great defender.

I saw him doing that too.

« Reply #262 on: January 10, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »
I absolutely cannot believe how Branch got put on the bench for a) the bulk of the 2nd half after committing just ONE turnover and b) got taken out of the first half so quickly AS HE WAS PLAYING SO WELL. 

Jamal does everything this offense needs offensively.  He knows how to get into the lane in the half court, how to create for others and get the offense moving OUTSIDE of the 15 second mark on the shot clock, call for ball screens and he looks for the next-pass-ahead IMMEDIATELY after catching the outlet.  We were a +6 with him in the game in the first half and I have no idea why he got taken out after only 5 minutes in that half.   Branch isn't as good a defender as Greene (don't know why Branch stands straight up when defending on the ball) but his positives far outweigh the negatives. 

Meanwhile, when was the last time Phil Greene had a play at or near the rim??  All he can seemingly do as a PG is go east and west.  It seems like he hasn't been able to heart a defender off the bounce in forever.  And BTW, I really like Phil's game, just not as a PG.  I like our look when we go Branch, D'Lo, Greene, Jakarr and Obekpa.  Greene has a spot in this rotation and that's as a wing.  And when teams go man to man on us, Phil has a much better chance of beating a guy off the bounce when a SF is defending him as opposed to a PG, which we've seen he can't blow by.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #263 on: January 10, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
I absolutely cannot believe how Branch got put on the bench for a) the bulk of the 2nd half after committing just ONE turnover and b) got taken out of the first half so quickly AS HE WAS PLAYING SO WELL. 

Jamal does everything this offense needs offensively.  He knows how to get into the lane in the half court, how to create for others and get the offense moving OUTSIDE of the 15 second mark on the shot clock, call for ball screens and he looks for the next-pass-ahead IMMEDIATELY after catching the outlet.  We were a +6 with him in the game in the first half and I have no idea why he got taken out after only 5 minutes in that half.   Branch isn't as good a defender as Greene (don't know why Branch stands straight up when defending on the ball) but his positives far outweigh the negatives. 

Meanwhile, when was the last time Phil Greene had a play at or near the rim??  All he can seemingly do as a PG is go east and west.  It seems like he hasn't been able to heart a defender off the bounce in forever.  And BTW, I really like Phil's game, just not as a PG.  I like our look when we go Branch, D'Lo, Greene, Jakarr and Obekpa.  Greene has a spot in this rotation and that's as a wing.  And when teams go man to man on us, Phil has a much better chance of beating a guy off the bounce when a SF is defending him as opposed to a PG, which we've seen he can't blow by.

nephew, you are bringin the wisdom to the forefront.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:07:13 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #264 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »

Well said Theo.

gman

« Reply #265 on: January 10, 2013, 11:53:15 AM »

+1

ras

« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2013, 11:57:44 AM »
Greene is not a PG and hasnt been a good shooter lately. I,too ,can not figure out why Branch isnt playing more. Unless his eye is still bad, 8 min PT is ridiculous.

paultzman

« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
Based on last nights lousy crowd, SJU section would only need one speedo!

“@JeffEisenberg: Speedo-clad Se.ton Hall swimmers take art of free throw distraction to a new level: http://t.co/gyBfD0th

pmg911

« Reply #268 on: January 10, 2013, 12:25:09 PM »
The bottom line with this team - is that they are just not that good right now.

Someone pointed it out earlier in the thread, we lost a game where we let up less than 60 points, that is not good.

« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »
Greene is not a PG and hasnt been a good shooter lately. I,too ,can not figure out why Branch isnt playing more. Unless his eye is still bad, 8 min PT is ridiculous.

Definitely true, but I think there's a greater chance he finds a rhythm as a shooter as an off-guard.  I also think he'll find much greater success off the bounce when he is guarded by an opponents SF as opposed to an opponents PG.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #270 on: January 10, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »
Coach had another bad day yesterday:

1.  in the closing minute he used his final two timeouts consecutively.  if had held on to 1 he could've setup a play for DLo instead of DLo forcing the 3.
2.  not playing Branch is beyond nuts.  Let him play!
3.  Did anyone notice Lavin begging the refs to call a tech on Rice when rice was at midcourt in the middle of the game?  Really Coach, is that how you want to win?

« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »
Rice is ANNOYING! I predict either another coach or one of his players punch him in the face this season.

« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »
Jakarr had brief spurts of activity but basically went invisible again for the lion's share of the game.

If I were Lavin I would read him the riot act before each game.

It apparently worked in Cincinnati and Sampson strikes me as one of those players who needs to be reminded that he has to wage war out there on the court.

« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »

Jamal does everything this offense needs offensively.  He knows how to get into the lane in the half court, how to create for others and get the offense moving OUTSIDE of the 15 second mark on the shot clock, call for ball screens and he looks for the next-pass-ahead IMMEDIATELY after catching the outlet.  We were a +6 with him in the game in the first half and I have no idea why he got taken out after only 5 minutes in that half.   Branch isn't as good a defender as Greene (don't know why Branch stands straight up when defending on the ball) but his positives far outweigh the negatives...."

Moral? Dont' sacrifice a game to teach a player a lesson.

« Reply #274 on: January 10, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »
Here is my question for the board -- it seems apparent to almost everyone here that Branch should be playing PG a lot more, and that Green is better off as a wing, coming off the bench to spell D-Angelo and Branch (or in a three guard lineup).  If most of us see this -- and guys I was with last night who don't follow the team as much saw this based on the past 3 games -- then why isn't he playing more?  Either it had to be a situation with the eye last night, or there is something we are not aware of or seeing.

« Reply #275 on: January 10, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
I think Branch was limited to 8 minutes because of his eye. Could be wrong. Really hope that's why though.

« Reply #276 on: January 10, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »
Here is my question for the board -- it seems apparent to almost everyone here that Branch should be playing PG a lot more, and that Green is better off as a wing, coming off the bench to spell D-Angelo and Branch (or in a three guard lineup).  If most of us see this -- and guys I was with last night who don't follow the team as much saw this based on the past 3 games -- then why isn't he playing more?  Either it had to be a situation with the eye last night, or there is something we are not aware of or seeing.

Even the best coaches are human. Could be loyalty, maybe he doesn't particularly like Branch, maybe Branch has bad BO? Who knows? Hopefully it is something other than Lavin being as dumb as Fun and Baron Davis claim him to be :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:56:15 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that Lavin doesn't think he's ready for major minutes. Because he does make a lot of stupid decisions, then again so does everyone else on our team. Either way I don't agree with playing Phil over him.

« Reply #278 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
I think Branch was limited to 8 minutes because of his eye. Could be wrong. Really hope that's why though.

If it was a knee or some sort of endurance question, then that would make sense, but his eye? Was his eye going to get tired?

Chilleb

« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
Phil Greene is a second string mid major 2 guard. And if you think I'm joking he's not better than george Beamon, Sean Armand, Derek needham or nurideen :-\
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:24:06 PM by Chilleb »