Bourgault and Hooper????

• 105 replies

Moose

Re: Bourgault and Hooper????
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »
Evry program needs practice players.

That is true.
But staff can't hype up players telling us were have Steve Kerr and John Paxson on the team now.  Or a bull in a china shop who can't get dirty to get a rebound.  They both look miserable.

Kerr and Paxson had Jordan. We don't have those dynamic players' right now. How did Kerr's game look when he didn't play with Jordan? Same player different results. Kerr would tell you today his career lasted longer than it should have if not for playing with Jordan.

I'm talking about college where Kerr was really successful at Arizona.  Lavin hypes up these practice players.  Not good strategy if you ask me.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
Kerr and Paxson had Jordan. We don't have those dynamic players' right now. How did Kerr's game look when he didn't play with Jordan? Same player different results. Kerr would tell you today his career lasted longer than it should have if not for playing with Jordan.

Not sure what this has to do with Bourgalt or Hooper, but Kerr then went on two win two more titles with the Spurs. He actually won 4 titles in a row at one point between Bulls and Spurs. Only player not on 1960 Celts dynasty to accomplish that.

SJUFAN

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »

I would suggest Bourgalt steal some of his minutes, but with the offense we run, what would be the point?

Exactly right.  Marco just doesn't fit what were trying to do.
Actually what are we trying to do exactly?
Throwing Top 100 players against a wall and hoping the majority work out?  Is that it?

We have a flawed roster constructed with players who don't fit what were trying to do.  I thought we were gonna run and gun.  I don't see running and gunning.  Games in the 50's is not running and gunning.  Did Lavin lie to us there again?

I like our roster, and the direction this program is heading. This is a 4-5 yr process, the way the roster is currently constructed is not the final product. We have a roster of players' who do some things really, really, well. What we need now is a couple of dynamic players' to add to what we have and we will be able to compete with anybody. 

Moose

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

I would suggest Bourgalt steal some of his minutes, but with the offense we run, what would be the point?

Throwing Top 100 players against a wall and hoping the majority work out?  Is that it?

We have a flawed roster constructed with players who don't fit what were trying to do.  I thought we were gonna run and gun.  I don't see running and gunning.  Games in the 50's is not running and gunning.  Did Lavin lie to us there again?

I like our roster, and the direction this program is heading. This is a 4-5 yr process, the way the roster is currently constructed is not the final product. We have a roster of players' who do some things really, really, well. What we need now is a couple of dynamic players' to add to what we have and we will be able to compete with anybody. 

How can this be a 4-5 year process with all these Top 100 players on the team.  Norm got 6 years for God's sake.
We have one person on the team I can confidently say can score with the ball in his hands.  (Oh yeah and half our fan base can't stand him because he has an attitude, he's not a leader and he takes bad shots).  Yet if he doesnt play we would struggle to score 40 points.

Who has improved over last year?  Phil, Amir and Dom are all a wash and arguably you can say some if not all have regressed.  You are supposed to see improvement when Freshman become Sophs.

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

At least Sampson to pros train has derailed in a fiery crash. That will help with the continuity we need for next year.

Moose

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 01:01:28 PM »

At least Sampson to pros train has derailed in a fiery crash. That will help with the continuity we need for next year.

In your mind it has.  But your not him.  I don't have any faith these kids make the 'right choices' when it comes to that stuff.

SJUFAN

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »

Not sure what this has to do with Bourgalt or Hooper, but Kerr then went on two win two more titles with the Spurs. He actually won 4 titles in a row at one point between Bulls and Spurs. Only player not on 1960 Celts dynasty to accomplish that.

Oh so the bulls and Spurs won those titles because of Kerr, ok. My point is this, Kerr averaged 3.6 pts a game during his time with the Spurs, he averaged 8 pts a game with the Bulls. If your game is limited to being a jump shooter (Bourgalt, and maybe Hooper) then you will benefit from playing with a dynamic player who commands so much more attention that it creates those scoring oppurtunities for them. We dont have that now, but we will in do time.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 01:03:19 PM »
He has no shot of being drafted in 1st round, so unless he wants to go the Omar Cook route he will/should be back

Moose

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »

Oh so the bulls and Spurs won those titles because of Kerr, ok. My point is this, Kerr averaged 3.6 pts a game during his time with the Spurs, he averaged 8 pts a game with the Bulls. If your game is limited to being a jump shooter (Bourgalt, and maybe Hooper) then you will benefit from playing with a dynamic player who commands so much more attention that it creates those scoring oppurtunities for them. We dont have that now, but we will in do time.

Why are you talking about their NBA numbers?
Kerr shot 57% from 3 his Sr year at Zona.  57!!!!  That still only got him drafted 50th overall.  I don't care about what they did in the NBA.  Lavin said numerous times that Marco reminded him of Kerr and Paxson.  I like Marco but he's nothing but a decoy for us now.  And even that Lavin hasn't figured out yet.

*** we do have that dynamic player.  Its Branch who isn't afraid to penetrate and has vision to make a pass.  But he only played 8 mins last night.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:06:21 PM by Moose »

boo3

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »
 I don't have a problem with coach hyping or over-hyping his guys.  What is he supposed to do?  These are his kids. Don't forget, first and foremost, Lavin is a salesman.   Fans should take these things with a grain of salt.

Moose- before you get defensive, I'm not specifically talking about you.   You now have me convinced that you despise Lavin as much as Fun and Bobre, and Linda.. ;)

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »
Oh so the bulls and Spurs won those titles because of Kerr, ok. My point is this, Kerr averaged 3.6 pts a game during his time with the Spurs, he averaged 8 pts a game with the Bulls. If your game is limited to being a jump shooter (Bourgalt, and maybe Hooper) then you will benefit from playing with a dynamic player who commands so much more attention that it creates those scoring oppurtunities for them. We dont have that now, but we will in do time

Kerr was an all american at Arizona. In the pros, yes he benefitted from Jordan and Duncan, but it is possible to run plays and set up shooters. See Novak, Steve

Moose

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »
I don't have a problem with coach hyping or over-hyping his guys.  What is he supposed to do?  These are his kids. Don't forget, first and foremost, Lavin is a salesman.   Fans should take these things with a grain of salt.

Moose- before you get defensive, I'm not specifically talking about you.   You now have me convinced that you despise Lavin as much as Fun and Bobre, and Linda.. ;)

I took crap here for being a homer.  Now I criticize and I'm getting thrown to the other side of the spectrum.  Training wheels are off.  Honeymoon is over.  Show some damn results.  15 games left in the season.  Win 8 and don't have a mass exodus this year so we're not replacing parts in April again.  Anything less is severe disappointment.

**** And his used car salesman tactics are not fair to the kids.  I understand hyping the brand but he puts ridiculous expectations on these kids.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:09:54 PM by Moose »

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »

How can this be a 4-5 year process with all these Top 100 players on the team.  Norm got 6 years for God's sake.
We have one person on the team I can confidently say can score with the ball in his hands.  (Oh yeah and half our fan base can't stand him because he has an attitude, he's not a leader and he takes bad shots).  Yet if he doesnt play we would struggle to score 40 points.

Who has improved over last year?  Phil, Amir and Dom are all a wash and arguably you can say some if not all have regressed.  You are supposed to see improvement when Freshman become Sophs.

You don't think D'Lo has improved? Amir and Dom are limited offensive players' and Phil I think has remained the same. Also understand they are all learning a new system. I expect to see the improvements next year as upper classmen

Moose

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »

You don't think D'Lo has improved? Amir and Dom are limited offensive players' and Phil I think has remained the same. Also understand they are all learning a new system. I expect to see the improvements next year as upper classmen

Dee is a god to me.  I'm his biggest fan besides Marillac I think on here.  He can do no wrong to me.  He is like 98th on our list of problems or things to be scrutinized. 

What new system are they learning?  What is different from this year to last?  I thought them playing sooooo many minutes last year was accelerating their growth moreso than others not afforded the opportunity. 

The reality is we had 6 players last year.  We are down to 4 this year and 3 haven't improved.

gman

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »
I don't have a problem having two spot up zone busters, but they need to run plays for them. I'm more over Dom. He has zero bball iq. He showed it time and time again last night and his ft shooting is terrible. I'd like to see his ship open up. Amir has much more upside.

Moose

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
I don't have a problem having two spot up zone busters, but they need to run plays for them. I'm more over Dom. He has zero bball iq. He showed it time and time again last night and his ft shooting is terrible. I'd like to see his ship open up. Amir has much more upside.

Funny you say that about Dom coming off arguably he's 2nd best game of the year.  2-3 from the field.  7 boards.  6 of 8 from the line is solid.

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »

Funny you say that about Dom coming off arguably he's 2nd best game of the year.  2-3 from the field.  7 boards.  6 of 8 from the line is solid.

Dom's been disappointing, no doubt about that. But I don't want him gone. I think he will have a place on this team the next couple years. I just hope his role is reduced.

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »

Garrett and Pointer were fine. Sampson was inconsistent and Greene killed us. Bottom line is we only have one consistent scorer. I can see Sampson developing into a solid number two next year, but if he doesn't........

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 01:39:07 PM »
It's funny that if Harrison/Dom/Obekpa hit two more FT's we'd be praising this team for two consecutive wins. But, that's college basketball for you. I don't think this team is as bad as many on here think, but we are not very good. I think it's time to accept that. Any hope of being a bubble team will be lost if we lose more than one of our next 6 IMO. But, does anyone really think we can't win on Saturday? I'm not going to bet against them after Cincy.

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 01:41:06 PM »
It's funny that if Harrison/Dom/Obekpa hit two more FT's we'd be praising this team for two consecutive wins. But, that's college basketball for you. I don't think this team is as bad as many on here think, but we are not very good. I think it's time to accept that. Any hope of being a bubble team will be lost if we lose more than one of our next 6 IMO. But, does anyone really think we can't win on Saturday? I'm not going to bet against them after Cincy.

Oops, meant to post this in the Rutgers thread