Congrats to Obekpa

• 35 replies
Congrats to Obekpa
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
On the only positive of last night, Mr. Obekpa tied the all time season number of blocks, tying Walter Berry.  Let's hope that all aspects of his game ( rebounding, foul shooting and offensive skills) come around as well.

Moose

Re: Congrats to Obekpa
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »
On the only positive of last night, Mr. Obekpa tied the all time season number of blocks, tying Walter Berry.  Let's hope that all aspects of his game ( rebounding, foul shooting and offensive skills) come around as well.

No the other positive was I drove in and was home by 10pm.
Remember who broke the Slice news

ras

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »
Hisl rebounding and ability to make put backs is improving. But he sure needs to work on his shot and FTs

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
If not for Obekpa, this team might have half the wins

DFF6

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:40:23 AM »
If not for Obekpa, this team might have half the wins

Not sure about half the wins, but Obekpa has meant a lot to this team, for sure.  Thing about him, he has so much raw talent, that as he refines his skills and starts improving on his weaknesses (ft shooting, better positioning for rebounds, better shot selection) he could quite literally become one of the all-time best players we have ever had.  If he was 7ft, he would be in the NBA next year as a lottery pick. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:40:37 AM by DFF6 »

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »
his free throw shooting is a hack a shaq disgrace.

one dimension performances will get him a basketball career in tibet.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:39 AM »
With a team that plays no D, OB is the last line of the fence

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:07:03 AM »

Mutombo had a nice career

DFF6

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »

Understand the frustration with his ft performance to date, but I don't think it's fair or accurate to consider Obekpa's performance thus far this year as "one dimensional", or to suggest that he's not capable of improving his skills.  Yes, he has been a blocking machine, but his rebounding has steadily improved, makes good passes from time to time, and once he realizes he's not meant to shoot 18 footers, his shooting percentage will dramatically improve.  And really, he's a freshman for crying out loud. 

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »
Only positive things to to write about Obekpa.  He has been great. He is a One man Big Man show for us with no Orlando or Gift.

True fact we have 1 4/5 on playing on the Team.

Jakarr is not really a 4 he is a 3 playing the 4..

DFF6

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »

To be fair, Mutombo was 7ft.  At 6'8-6'9, not sure Obekpa can be as reliant on shot blocking for a nice NBA career.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »

To be fair, Mutombo was 7ft.  At 6'8-6'9, not sure Obekpa can be as reliant on shot blocking for a nice NBA career.

More like Okafor, no?

DFF6

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »

More like Okafor, no?

Yes, and that would be great!

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
FT shooting aside, CO has been the most pleasant surprise on team. He plays intelligently, obviously makes other teams think twice when entering lane, manages to avoid fouling out while playing a lot of minutes and is blossoming despite playing ball for a short time. His rebounding is also much improved recently.

Yes, FT deficiency is troubling & he gets careless at times, but all in all thank God we have him. BTW, this school yard offense of our also puts him in poor position too often, like being 25 feet from basket holding the ball.

IMO, we have ample issues with this team and staff to criticise without putting CO too deeply into that cess pool.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:28:01 AM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:26:55 AM »

Yes, FT deficiency is troubling & he gets careless at times, but all in all thank God we have him. BTW, this school yard offense of our also puts him in poor position too often, like being 25 feet from basket holding the ball.

IMO, we have ample issues with this team and staff to criticise without putting CO do deeply into that cess pool.

I would think that would be Sanchez's role 25 ft from the basket in our 'offense' if he would ever get cleared.

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »
I would think that would be Sanchez's role 25 ft from the basket in our 'offense' if he would ever get cleared

I think the rankings for most times mentioned in posts about a player who never actually will play for us:
1. Sylven Landesberg
2. Lance Stephenson
3. Orlando Sanchez
4. Kyle Anderson

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 01:51:44 PM »
11 boards and 5 blocks. That's a good game from the frosh. Minus the free throws obviously.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
11 boards and 5 blocks. That's a good game from the frosh. Minus the free throws obviously.

He's definitely getting better cleaning the glass.

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »
I would think that would be Sanchez's role 25 ft from the basket in our 'offense' if he would ever get cleared

I think the rankings for most times mentioned in posts about a player who never actually will play for us:
1. Sylven Landesberg
2. Lance Stephenson
3. Orlando Sanchez
4. Kyle Anderson

Kyle anderson has to be number 1 on that list
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

gman

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »

He's definitely getting better cleaning the glass.

He seemed to pick and chose better when to go for the blocks.  I think he will continue to progress. I look forward to watching his career