Georgetown Game

• 293 replies
Re: Georgetown Game
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »
Our guards should set the ball screens. Its absolutely pointless having obekpa, garrett, and pointer setting high ball screens. They dont command any attention and just bunch things up. Have Obekpa never leave the paint on offense.

You don't like having 5 guys spread around the 3 pt line?

Haha facetious are we? we have about 4-5 guys who should honestly never touch the ball on the perimeter. Run the old flex offense. It worked for Al skinner at BC
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
Our guards should set the ball screens. Its absolutely pointless having obekpa, garrett, and pointer setting high ball screens. They dont command any attention and just bunch things up. Have Obekpa never leave the paint on offense.

You don't like having 5 guys spread around the 3 pt line?

Haha facetious are we? we have about 4-5 guys who should honestly never touch the ball on the perimeter. Run the old flex offense. It worked for Al skinner at BC

And people wonder why we don't rebound.   Tough when 5 guys are hanging at 3 pt line.

Offense is a disaster.
We got the wrong UCLA assistant.
Watch NC State and Gottfried.  That's the same offense we supposedly have.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
What I struggled with is, despite the youth of the team, not having Sanchez, etc., we did not compete today. Granted teams get blown out, but the anticipated upward curve for this team is non existent. Also, to get back on track,you need skilled folks directing these kids, developing game plans and implementing the right rotations. Just don't see the expertise on staff to do that. Sorry!

Yes, the anecdotes, metaphors, etc is wearing thin. I want more concrete analyses of what's not working, why and what can be done about it. No more cliches please!

Btw, if this is youngest team Lavin has ever coached, does that make next year's squad the second youngest? Just saying!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:18:45 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »
What I struggled with is, despite the youth of the team, not having Sanchez, etc., we did not compete today. Granted teams get blown out, but the anticipated upward curve for this team is non existent. Also, to get back on track,you need skilled folks directing these kids, developing game plans and implementing the right rotations. Just don't see the expertise on staff to do that. Sorry!

Yes, the anecdotes, metaphors, etc is wearing thin. I want more concrete analyses of what's not working, why and what can be done about it. No more cliches please!

Btw, if this is younger team Lavin has ever coached, does that make next year's squad the second youngest? Just saying!

Agree with what you said paultz, I dont get how this years squad is younger than last years? You guys remember the fresh five don't you? I guess lavin could say he didnt coach them. Cant say hes done much of that this year either.

kred

« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
Like it or not :

Harrison - our best shooter but on a BE contending team would be the 2nd - 3rd. best
Greene - An out of position point guard. A 2nd string 2G
Garrett - A role playing starter. Would come off the bench on a top half BE team.
Sampson - Too young to have to take over. Will be great if he stays.
Obekpa - One dimensional rookie. Liability when were losing which is most of the time.
Pointer - Learning but plays out of control.
Branch - HAS GOT TO START. Some nice potential there.
Bourgault - Who knows what Lavin saw. We might never know.
Lavin - A coach who has no idea what to do with this crew.

Too many holes to be a consistently good team this year.

« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
Like it or not :

Harrison - our best shooter but on a BE contending team would be the 2nd - 3rd. best
Garrett - A role playing starter. Would come off the bench on a top half BE team.
Obekpa - One dimensional rookie. Liability when were losing which is most of the time.

Actually, I think Harrison would be better on another BE team. He's doubled every time he touches the ball. It would free him up if he played on a better team.

We need Obekpa out there as much as possible. He's a monster down low.

And is it completely out of the realm of possibility that we have a crew that can't quite understand yet what Lavin is trying to teach them? I think people claiming Lavin has no plan are wrong. He has one. The players are not executing his plan. Yes some of that is on Lavin, but a lot is also on our young, and yes I'll keep saying it until it's not true anymore, YOUNG players.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:24:45 PM by redstorm212 »

kred

« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Like it or not :

Actually, I think Harrison would be better on another BE team. He's doubled every time he touches the ball. It would free him up if he played on a better team.

And is it completely out of the realm of possibility that we have a crew that can't quite understand yet what Lavin is trying to teach them? I think people claiming Lavin has no plan are wrong. He has one. The players are not executing his plan. Yes some of that is on Lavin, but a lot is also on our young, and yes I'll keep saying it until it's not true anymore, YOUNG players.

You can see Harrison is getting disgusted with the double and triple teams. Yes G'Town was so quick with their rotations they were able to triple team him and get weak side help in guarding their area.

If Lavin has a plan (and I'm sure he does) then he needs to dumb it down a bit to let this group master the simplicities of his offense. I don't mean that in a disparaging way to the players. Happens all the time where a coach is too ahead of his players. See Russell Wilson at the beginning of the year and look at him now.

« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »
Like it or not :

You can see Harrison is getting disgusted with the double and triple teams. Yes G'Town was so quick with their rotations they were able to triple team him and get weak side help in guarding their area.

If Lavin has a plan (and I'm sure he does) then he needs to dumb it down a bit to let this group master the simplicities of his offense. I don't mean that in a disparaging way to the players. Happens all the time where a coach is too ahead of his players. See Russell Wilson at the beginning of the year and look at him now.

If they players are dumber than Lavin then we have a big problem!

Moose

« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »

If Lavin has a plan (and I'm sure he does)

That makes one of us.

tnice

« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
They played 3-2 zone in the first half when they built a 20 point lead, for a good portion.  What happened in the other 20 minutes doesn't matter, the game was over.   I must be blind, because thats what I saw.

Agreed.

I re-watched the first half just to make sure I'm not crazy. G'town played man for 75% of the first half. They periodically switched to a 2-3 ( not a 3-2) zone and they were already up 15 when they switched to it. First thing Myles Simon said on the ESPN halftime show was about them switching between the two.

But your confusion actually proves my point: there was so little movement on offense that it LOOKED like they were playing a zone because the guys on the baseline or whoever's man was weakside basically played 8 feet off our guys because they didnt have to worry about our guys going anywhere. No backdoor cuts...no alley oops...nothing.

Moose

« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »
They played 3-2 zone in the first half when they built a 20 point lead, for a good portion.  What happened in the other 20 minutes doesn't matter, the game was over.   I must be blind, because thats what I saw.

Agreed.

I re-watched the first half just to make sure I'm not crazy. G'town played man for 75% of the first half. They periodically switched to a 2-3 ( not a 3-2) zone and they were already up 15 when they switched to it. First thing Myles Simon said on the ESPN halftime show was about them switching between the two.

But your confusion actually proves my point: there was so little movement on offense that it LOOKED like they were playing a zone because the guys on the baseline or whoever's man was weakside basically played 8 feet off our guys because they didnt have to worry about our guys going anywhere. No backdoor cuts...no alley oops...nothing.

I give you props for re-watching the game.  Waterboarding sounds like more fun to me.

Look I don't proclaim to be a basketball expert.  Lord knows most of the ppl on this site arent either.  Case in point we play a zone but half the time at a game I hear people screaming about our man to man defense.

After your post I texted everyone in my group that sits with me that you felt they played man 90% of the time.  I saw a lot of zone principles.  Was it ppl just bored standing around with their hands in their pants, well I never thought of that.  Interesting theory.  My argument would be if it was man there would have been more driving, more action off the half assed screens we set, not passing around the perimeter.  Dee would have been able to beat a guy more than the fact he beat nobody off the dribble today.  I saw that as a factor of a zone.  Next game I might as well keep track of the defenses teams play.  I mean we know there ain't much else to watch.  Might as well just focus on that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:05:11 PM by Moose »

« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »
Well everyone got what they wanted, more Branch.  And the result seems even worse.  Perhaps because the competition is a bit better though.  It does not seem to matter who is on the floor, the offense looks miserable.

Result had nothing to do with Branch...He was probably the best player we had today..He did his job...Guys like Amir, Pointer and PG4 need to be able to hit the open 10 footers he created

desco80

« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2013, 06:41:09 PM »

Its not like we have another option, so he probably does have to be out there, but the last two games exposed Obekpa alot I think.   He got killed anytime Lubick posted him up, and was a non factor on most of Rutgers and especially Gtown's drives to.the hoop.

He's got a ton of.promise, but we need to remember he's still a freshmen, and honestly was expected to.be kindve a freshmen"project" coming out of HS.   And now we've thrown him into the fire and asked him to play 35+ mins.

if anybody on this team could benefit from some teaching, I think its.Chris. 

paultzman

« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2013, 07:02:22 PM »

Its not like we have another option, so he probably does have to be out there, but the last two games exposed Obekpa alot I think.   He got killed anytime Lubick posted him up, and was a non factor on most of Rutgers and especially Gtown's drives to.the hoop.

He's got a ton of.promise, but we need to remember he's still a freshmen, and honestly was expected to.be kindve a freshmen"project" coming out of HS.   And now we've thrown him into the fire and asked him to play 35+ mins.

if anybody on this team could benefit from some teaching, I think its.Chris. 

Agree, but do we outsource the "teaching" part?

redslope

« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
just back and the best thing I saw today was the women's team.  They scored 40 in 20 minutes while the men had 51 in 40.  They have an exciting Frosh who has stepped up due to an injury to one of the seniors.  I tought attendence wasn't bad for an 11AM start.  MSG has to learn to sell bagels for early start as Hotdogs before noon--yuck!  Phil must NOT start on Tuesday; Branch deserves it after today.  Harrison needs an attitude adjustment so he comes to play 40 and stops complaining to refs.  Despite Sir's shortcomings as noted on many comments, he was the only one to show fire on the court--start hin on Tuesday over Amir-he earned it today.  He played defense with great zeal; led in assists; had steals; even made a 3 but didn't continue to throw them up a la Phil.  Chris continues to rebound well and block shots--he looked like Bill Russell on a couple today; he must have read the comments made about him last game.  Other than than that--yuck!!!

Moose

« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2013, 07:27:26 PM »
just back and the best thing I saw today was the women's team.  They scored 40 in 20 minutes while the men had 51 in 40.  They have an exciting Frosh who has stepped up due to an injury to one of the seniors.  I tought attendence wasn't bad for an 11AM start.  MSG has to learn to sell bagels for early start as Hotdogs before noon--yuck!  Phil must NOT start on Tuesday; Branch deserves it after today.  Harrison needs an attitude adjustment so he comes to play 40 and stops complaining to refs.  Despite Sir's shortcomings as noted on many comments, he was the only one to show fire on the court--start hin on Tuesday over Amir-he earned it today.  He played defense with great zeal; led in assists; had steals; even made a 3 but didn't continue to throw them up a la Phil.  Chris continues to rebound well and block shots--he looked like Bill Russell on a couple today; he must have read the comments made about him last game.  Other than than that--yuck!!!

Where did Harrison complain to the refs today?
Seriously?

I honestly hope Harrison leaves.  I wanna see these boards when he's gone.  Days like today would be the norm without him.  Enjoy!

paultzman

« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »

Seriously?

I honestly hope Harrison leaves.  I wanna see these boards when he's gone.  Days like today would be the norm without him.  Enjoy!

Would Harrison be an attractive addition to any BE team from Day One? Anyone else? I rest my case! Without him, we would be two point favorites against those CYO teams who play at half time.  Plenty to complain about , but J'Lo low on the list IMO.

« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
Well everyone got what they wanted, more Branch.  And the result seems even worse.  Perhaps because the competition is a bit better though.  It does not seem to matter who is on the floor, the offense looks miserable.
Not Everyone!
 >:(

Branch played well.  Double digit points, which is more than I can say for most.  He had few Ssists only because nobody else could score.  Branch did what he could do here.  Guys like Dom and Amir are horrible on offense.  Jakarr has hit a funk and lost his touch, which was automatic for a long while.  Need more scorers and shooters here and not guys of the Bourgault variety.  If we had one wing of the Jordan Adams variety who could make shots we'd be okay. 

We just took ourselves out of the game today.  We started with no urgency and after that,  we couldn't shoot our way into a 10 point deficit nonetheless 20-30.  Just overall bad performance.  Nothing wrong with anything else today except our atrocious shooting.

Lack of urgency is a disturbing recurring theme...Our guys get back on defense like they are scimmaging...

« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »

Seriously?

No you don't moose. And no one should.

gman

« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2013, 07:47:07 PM »
Just back home from MSG. Highlight of day was seeing MJM again and sharing Heroin and tonic cocktails with lime in order to watch second half. Painful!

Paultz, my girlfriend and I are sitting behind you again on Tuesday