Georgetown Game

• 293 replies

Poison

Re: Georgetown Game
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »
I love DLo. He was very frustrated today. He was looking at the refs w daggers after they missed calls. FWIW, so was I.

paultzman

« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2013, 08:02:46 PM »
Just back home from MSG. Highlight of day was seeing MJM again and sharing Heroin and tonic cocktails with lime in order to watch second half. Painful!

Paultz, my girlfriend and I are sitting behind you again on Tuesday

Seeing you and Keira again is my only motivation to witness another beating Gman! Tell her we need ND to take it easy on us!

MCNPA

« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
I'll say it again.  It's not the offense as much as it is the fact that we are still missing certain parts of the offense.  The biggest think we are missing is a low post scorer.  A guy like Gathers that Lavin was trying to land was supposed to be in that mold.  Now we are also without Sanchez which compounds the issue.  The other thing we don't have a shooters beside D'Angelo.   One last thing is that we haven't had Branch ie. a PG until now.  He will be good at the PG spot, but is just getting his feet wet.

1) new PG
2). Very young team with limited shooters
3) no low-post scoring threat

All three things are surefire recipe for stalled offense.  Why is there not as much motion in the offense as we'd like?  Simple.  Everybody besides D'Angelo is afraid to shoot.  Nobody wants to come off a screen and shoot because they know they'll have to if the ball comes to them.  Jakarr doesn't mind shooting but he has become very hesitant and lost his mojo a bit.

I think people complicate the issues.  Lavin had success with this offense with Norm's guys because we had s lot of upperclassmen but we also had guys that could do the things we are missing now.  It took adding JC players like hardy and brownlee to do it.  We had several guys like hardy, Horne, brownlee and DJ who could hit shots and developed their game over 4 years.  We could play hi-low with Burrell, Evans and Brownlee.

We might not have had as much overall talent but we had a few years of experience under our belts as well as added players to the mix like Lavin will undoubtedly do over next 2 years. Need our personnel to get experience over the next few and add some shooters and low post guys.

« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
Just back home from MSG. Highlight of day was seeing MJM again and sharing Heroin and tonic cocktails with lime in order to watch second half. Painful!

Damn next game I'll do the cocktails with you.

« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »
We need DLo out there hes are only true scoring threat. Were gonna struggle this year and hopefully next year we have some other scorer out there or were gonna be a NIT team next year when I thought next year we would def make our run in the tourney.I am hoping we land lawerence or Jordan if not I think we will be in trouble again even though were 1 year older and have Hooper and Gift and maybe Sanchez

« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »
I'll say it again.  It's not the offense as much as it is the fact that we are still missing certain parts of the offense.  The biggest think we are missing is a low post scorer.  A guy like Gathers that Lavin was trying to land was supposed to be in that mold.  Now we are also without Sanchez which compounds the issue.  The other thing we don't have a shooters beside D'Angelo.   One last thing is that we haven't had Branch ie. a PG until now.  He will be good at the PG spot, but is just getting his feet wet.

1) new PG

All three things are surefire recipe for stalled offense.  Why is there not as much motion in the offense as we'd like?  Simple.  Everybody besides D'Angelo is afraid to shoot.  Nobody wants to come off a screen and shoot because they know they'll have to if the ball comes to them.  Jakarr doesn't mind shooting but he has become very hesitant and lost his mojo a bit.

I think people complicate the issues.  Lavin had success with this offense with Norm's guys because we had s lot of upperclassmen but we also had guys that could do the things we are missing now.  It took adding JC players like hardy and brownlee to do it.  We had several guys like hardy, Horne, brownlee and DJ who could hit shots and developed their game over 4 years.  We could play hi-low with Burrell, Evans and Brownlee.

We might not have had as much overall talent but we had a few years of experience under our belts as well as added players to the mix like Lavin will undoubtedly do over next 2 years. Need our personnel to get experience over the next few and add some shooters and low post guys.

It's more fun to just say Lavin can't coach and is an idiot with no plan.

« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2013, 08:29:24 PM »

A friend of mine bought your exact same seat for todays game on stub hub. pretty funny. literally the exact same seat

« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »

1) new PG

Too bad Lavin didn't have enough sense to bring in Ron Roberts who would have been your low post scorer. ::)

Chilleb

« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2013, 09:10:03 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't see 30 nba GM's passing on d'lo. He's a one man show right now, imagine how good he can be if you put some talent around him. He handles, can shoot and defends well ( dosent get enough credit for his defense). He has flaws but he has a nba skill ( shooting) and he's very crafty. Anybody complaining about d'lo should really get there head checked, without him were 2-15 right now

« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't see 30 nba GM's passing on d'lo. He's a one man show right now, imagine how good he can be if you put some talent around him. He handles, can shoot and defends well ( dosent get enough credit for his defense). He has flaws but he has a nba skill ( shooting) and he's very crafty. Anybody complaining about d'lo should really get there head checked, without him were 2-15 right now

I love D'lo but I don't think his game doesn't translate to the NBA. Undersized and not very athletic (compared to NBA guards). Who is his NBA comparison?

paultzman

« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2013, 09:26:20 PM »

+1

Chilleb

« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »

I love D'lo but I don't think his game doesn't translate to the NBA. Undersized and not very athletic (compared to NBA guards). Who is his NBA comparison?
He'll have to transition to the point full time. But I think he can do that, he passes well can dribble and shoot. Jamal tinsley 2.0

Chilleb

« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »
And let's not forget balls of steel, this kid is tougher than tough, you can't teach heart

« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
We suck bottom line. At least when under Norm when we sucked we gave 100% effort every night. You couldn't be mad at that. But this is just embarrassing. No heart whatsoever.

Great post right here

No it's not.

You disagree?

Yes, I don't think lack of effort is the problem.

So what is it?

Inability to shoot.

So whoever recruited them should be held accountable, who recruited them again?

George Bush

MCNPA

« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2013, 09:54:32 PM »

1) new PG

Too bad Lavin didn't have enough sense to bring in Ron Roberts who would have been your low post scorer. ::)

Hindsight is 20/20.  I don't think anybody knew Ron Roberts would end up as good as he did.  That said, I agree with you.  Lavin has certainly made some management mistakes.  They are under our microscope because of course we are SJU fans.  Truth is though that all coaches make these mistakes.  Happens all the time.  We made some mistakes with Rise academy too.  Again, though hindsight is 20/20. 

It is obvious though, that we are going to need another dynamic guard and somebody who can get the ball in the post and do something with it.  Obekpa will develop more post offense, but it will likely come as a soph or junior.  I too thought this team would be a bit more dynamic this season but we are still missing a few big pieces and I didn't think it would hurt as much as it is.  I still dont believe there is some miraculous coaching panacea.  We don't have the scorers to spread anybody out, so the defense packs it in.  We just continue to throw up bricks.  Nothing more to it.  At least we are getting better on defense and on the glass. 

« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2013, 10:10:52 PM »

1) new PG

Hindsight is 20/20.  I don't think anybody knew Ron Roberts would end up as good as he did. 

+100. Can we stop with Ron Roberts already? He was an unranked 3 star recruit and it mas most likely a mutual split when he saw the guys Lavin was about to recruit.

gman

« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »

A friend of mine bought your exact same seat for todays game on stub hub. pretty funny. literally the exact same

For nd there are 8 seats in that row available. Glad I chose the opera over the game today!

gman

« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »

He can make it as a pg but machado can't? Don't see it happening. No way he makes it as a sg
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:58:16 PM by gman »

redslope

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2013, 11:11:38 PM »
just back and the best thing I saw today was the women's team.  They scored 40 in 20 minutes while the men had 51 in 40.  They have an exciting Frosh who has stepped up due to an injury to one of the seniors.  I tought attendence wasn't bad for an 11AM start.  MSG has to learn to sell bagels for early start as Hotdogs before noon--yuck!  Phil must NOT start on Tuesday; Branch deserves it after today.  Harrison needs an attitude adjustment so he comes to play 40 and stops complaining to refs.  Despite Sir's shortcomings as noted on many comments, he was the only one to show fire on the court--start hin on Tuesday over Amir-he earned it today.  He played defense with great zeal; led in assists; had steals; even made a 3 but didn't continue to throw them up a la Phil.  Chris continues to rebound well and block shots--he looked like Bill Russell on a couple today; he must have read the comments made about him last game.  Other than than that--yuck!!!

Where did Harrison complain to the refs today?
Seriously?

I honestly hope Harrison leaves.  I wanna see these boards when he's gone.  Days like today would be the norm without him.  Enjoy!
look at the smirks and body language and any ref would tell him to go on and play.  he has to suck it up and not disappear because things are not going HIS way.  It's life--get over it-you can't change the call

Moose

« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2013, 11:13:30 PM »
just back and the best thing I saw today was the women's team.  They scored 40 in 20 minutes while the men had 51 in 40.  They have an exciting Frosh who has stepped up due to an injury to one of the seniors.  I tought attendence wasn't bad for an 11AM start.  MSG has to learn to sell bagels for early start as Hotdogs before noon--yuck!  Phil must NOT start on Tuesday; Branch deserves it after today.  Harrison needs an attitude adjustment so he comes to play 40 and stops complaining to refs.  Despite Sir's shortcomings as noted on many comments, he was the only one to show fire on the court--start hin on Tuesday over Amir-he earned it today.  He played defense with great zeal; led in assists; had steals; even made a 3 but didn't continue to throw them up a la Phil.  Chris continues to rebound well and block shots--he looked like Bill Russell on a couple today; he must have read the comments made about him last game.  Other than than that--yuck!!!

Where did Harrison complain to the refs today?
Seriously?

I honestly hope Harrison leaves.  I wanna see these boards when he's gone.  Days like today would be the norm without him.  Enjoy!
look at the smirks and body language and any ref would tell him to go on and play.  he has to suck it up and not disappear because things are not going HIS way.  It's life--get over it-you can't change the call

Thats why he's been t'ed up how many times in his two years here?  Disappear?  He has turned away all year.  Your going off his rep and making him out to be worse than he is.
Remember who broke the Slice news