Patience

• 62 replies

Moose

Re: Patience
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »
I can't imagine anyone who sat on a train, paid a ticket, bought a 10 dollar beer would be to patient now. Going to games should be fun. Yesterday was anything but. Lavin has a hard job, but he is paid very well. He needs to do better. The white kid from Georgetown seems like a good role player could not be stopped yesterday.
How does a team not dress any post defenders? How does a team have multiple wing players who have little to no basketball skill? Why play Marco at all?

I'd like to tell the ass behind me who was heckling Lubick to STFU. That white kid ate Obekpa alive. And with basically the same move every time. Lavin has made a real mess here. Maybe some of the NBA assistants are actually just names, and they have no coaching ability? It really seems that way.

Most ppl assume since Lubick is white that he's a stiff.  But he was a Top 50 kid I think.
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »
He didn't look great. He looked competent. Like poison said he used the same move and we couldn't stop him. We dressed no post defenders . He could have scored every time

paultzman

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »
Lubick was a decent recruit and is the son of a HS coach. He passes well, consistent with the Princeton Offense employed by GT.

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »
Huge letdown but I'll remain patient.

Lavins 1st year was better than my wildest expectations.
Cancer last year and a pass for me
This year big dissapointment no doubt.
Next year we need to be markedly better.

I think the Jay Wright Nova comparison would be the fairest way to go

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »
It's not dark yet but it's getting there.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »

This is a horribly assembled team. At Jay Wright had a plan. No one could identify our plan, because we do anything well. Jay Wright recruited 5 point guards in two years. We are just hoping for one.

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
Still say, what Lavin did was basically build a team from scratch. That's not easy. I knew some of these kids would not work out or simply be overrated. It's taking longer than I thought for the talent to mesh. Lavin needs to diversify the roster. Put more emphasis on recruiting shooters and find some tough, scrappy frontcourt guys. A pure NYC PG would be nice as well. We need a quick guard that can break the defense down. Does Newkirk at Hayes fit the bill? Don't need a McDonald's AA, just a traditional NYC pg.

Still think he can get us back to NCAA in the future. Just has to make some adjustments in recruiting. Is his coaching great? No, but a team that is constructed better would help his cause.

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »
People talk about recruiting to fill holes.  Lavin had 13 holes to fill (I guess 12 if you don't include Stith's slot).  He got as many bodies as he could the first year and, with the non-qualifiers and transfers, the job was half done.  This year, he filled the rest---all with capable bodies.  Now, he can start "filling holes."  Roster management is a lot easier when you are replacing two or three kids per year instead of 9 or 10.

Tiznow

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 09:55:30 PM »
The comparison to Nova ten years ago is reasonable.  Wright did not turn the corner with his players till the third year.  They barely made the NIT in the first two years with a 15-15 and 18-16 record.  They never advanced once they got there.  Their BE record regressed from the first (8-8) to second (6-10) season.  By year three when the main players were juniors they took off.  I'm sure many of their fans jumped back on the bandwagon that year.

It sucks getting blown out on the MSG court by Georgetown.  A desperate and skilled team playing tough defense taught this team a lesson.   It makes the Rutgers screw up hurt more. 

But move on and hope these kids learn fast.  It's no time to give up on them.  They will turn the corner just like Wright's kids did about ten years ago.

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »

This is a horribly assembled team. At Jay Wright had a plan. No one could identify our plan, because we do anything well. Jay Wright recruited 5 point guards in two years. We are just hoping for one.

Do people honestly believe Lavin has no plan? That astounds me. There is a difference between not having a plan and having a plan that is still in the works. To me, his plan has hit a few bumps along the way which causes all the bitching on these boards. His plan is to recruit high-major athletes and then compliment them with skilled players like Sanchez, Branch, Harrison, Bourgoult, Hooper. Obviously, it's still in the works as we have too many athletes who are not polished and we don't have enough complimentary players (shooters, shot creators, rebounders). And we'll see what happens with Rysheed Jordan. A Jordan/Branch duo would be awesome at PG. We'd be set there.

RedVet

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 10:28:30 PM »

Do people honestly believe Lavin has no plan? That astounds me. There is a difference between not having a plan and having a plan that is still in the works. ...

Hey, the voice of reason!

jsk

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
I like and appreciate the constructive and realistic comments and the direction this thread is taking!

Poison

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:49 PM »

Do people honestly believe Lavin has no plan? That astounds me. There is a difference between not having a plan and having a plan that is still in the works. To me, his plan has hit a few bumps along the way which causes all the bitching on these boards. His plan is to recruit high-major athletes and then compliment them with skilled players like Sanchez, Branch, Harrison, Bourgoult, Hooper. Obviously, it's still in the works as we have too many athletes who are not polished and we don't have enough complimentary players (shooters, shot creators, rebounders). And we'll see what happens with Rysheed Jordan. A Jordan/Branch duo would be awesome at PG. We'd be set there.

Say what you want about him, but Jarvis knew he was a defensive minded coach, and he recruited players that fit his system. There was a plan, and while we were not always successful, he had a clear POV, even if it wasn't the very best one we could have had.

Lavin's plan is unclear. We have athletes who can't dribble or shoot, shooters who can't get open, and we are playing without a PF. That alone is maddening because we have a PF who is eligible to play. Lavin needs to answer for this. He's making too much money to be this bad of a coach.

Tiznow

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:22 PM »

Say what you want about him, but Jarvis knew he was a defensive minded coach, and he recruited players that fit his system. There was a plan, and while we were not always successful, he had a clear POV, even if it wasn't the very best one we could have had.

Lavin's plan is unclear. We have athletes who can't dribble or shoot, shooters who can't get open, and we are playing without a PF. That alone is maddening because we have a PF who is eligible to play. Lavin needs to answer for this. He's making too much money to be this bad of a coach.

Poison, have you ever had a conversation with Lavin?  He's makes himself available at several functions througout the year and is very approachable.  You have a lot to say to him.  I'm sure he'd enjoy the conversation and appreciate your good intentions.   

Moose

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »

Poison, have you ever had a conversation with Lavin?  He's makes himself available at several functions througout the year and is very approachable.  You have a lot to say to him.  I'm sure he'd enjoy the conversation and appreciate your good intentions.   

I'd pay to see that interaction.

Poison

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »

Yes, several. He is a very nice guy.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »

Lavin said "12-13 will be our breakout year. 11-12 they'll be ducklings."

Moose

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 11:22:58 PM »

I don't think your lying.  Did things change last year when he wasn't around though.

Poison

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:41 PM »

I don't think your lying.  Did things change last year when he wasn't around though.

He assembled a team last season. He assembled a poor mix of players. What was his plan? It's unclear to me. That is what bothers me. If he played Sanchez, and sat Gift, this team is still too frail. His judgement concerns me. You can't play a big east season with two guys on your roster who play the 4/5. Lavin has chosen to play it w one guy.
Make sense of that.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:54:55 PM by Poison »

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »

I assume he said this before Harkless indicated he was leaving?