Greene Injury

• 61 replies

paultzman

Greene Injury
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:52:24 AM »
Maybe the "weave" is proving harmful to his health. Obviously, I feel for him. Nice kid, with limited ability who plays hard.

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-johns-red-storm-mens-basketball/2013/1/14/3872852/st-johns-phil-greene-hip-injury-point-guard-jamal-branch

Moose

Re: Greene Injury
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »
It's been mentioned since the USF game that he was hurt.  Lav mentioned it in the pregame reception.  Ironically look back to the NJIT game which was before that USF and you will see the numbers drop and struggles start.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:57:12 AM »
Maybe the "weave" is proving harmful to his health. Obviously, I feel for him. Nice kid, with limited ability who plays hard.

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-johns-red-storm-mens-basketball/2013/1/14/3872852/st-johns-phil-greene-hip-injury-point-guard-jamal-branch

Funny how the hip injury didn't affect his play against the Florida Gold Coast and the Fashion Institute of Technology.

Foad

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:05:11 AM »
Ironically look back to the NJIT game which was before that USF and you will see the numbers drop and struggles start.

Ironically his numbers started dropping as soon as we started playing D1 teams, from "an injury to the guard's hip that was evident as early as September."

If Greene is scoring 0 points a game because he's so critically injured that he can't throw the round thing in the hole then Lavin should be fired for playing him 30 minutes a game. Because on the one hand he's jeopardizing PG's health and on the other he's compromising the team's chances of winning.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »
Ironically look back to the NJIT game which was before that USF and you will see the numbers drop and struggles start.

Ironically his numbers started dropping as soon as we started playing D1 teams, from "an injury to the guard's hip that was evident as early as September."

If Greene is scoring 0 points a game because he's so critically injured that he can't throw the round thing in the hole then Lavin should be fired for playing him 30 minutes a game. Because on the one hand he's jeopardizing PG's health and on the other he's compromising the team's chances of winning.

Since Branch becoming eligible your right.  Why run the kid out there if its hurting him.  Plus hurting the team.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »

Reasonable point.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »
Reasonable point.

You sound surprised.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:35:48 AM »
Player A
Frosh 7.3 ppg 3.9 ast 4.8 reb 3.2 TO's 32% fg 28% 3pt
Soph 9.3 ppg 4.9 ast 3.7 reb 3.7 to's 36%fg 28% 3pt

Player B
Frosh 7.8 ppg 2.9 ast 2.6 reb 1.8 to's 36% fg 28% 3pt
Soph 9.5 ppg 3.1 ast 3.1 reb 1.7 to's 39% fg 29% 3pt

Almost exactly identical, scary!
Who are they? 

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
Player A
Frosh 7.3 ppg 3.9 ast 4.8 reb 3.2 TO's 32% fg 28% 3pt
Soph 9.3 ppg 4.9 ast 3.7 reb 3.7 to's 36%fg 28% 3pt

Player B
Frosh 7.8 ppg 2.9 ast 2.6 reb 1.8 to's 36% fg 28% 3pt
Soph 9.5 ppg 3.1 ast 3.1 reb 1.7 to's 39% fg 29% 3pt

Who are they? 

Phil Greene and Michael Jordan

Moose

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »
ohhhhhhhh the suspense................

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »
Well everyone got what they've been clammoring for in the last game as point guard Populare played 29 minutes to 16 for Mean joe.

We promptly responded with our worst offensive output of the season.   :-[

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
Who are they? 

Phil Green & your favorite - Geno

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »
Well everyone got what they've been clammoring for in the last game as point guard Populare played 29 minutes to 16 for Mean joe.

We promptly responded with our worst offensive output of the season.   

Yeah Geno Greene getting more PT would have helped ::)

Moose

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 10:15:02 AM »

Check out the Plus Minus.  Branch was a -2.  Greene was like -20

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
What I find funny is how posters will have favorite players and then hate on other players who are competing for their minutes.  I love the team, as a whole, and every player on it.  I hope that my criticisms are impartial.

That being said, how can anyone not see the upgrade at the point with Branch in there over Phil.  Early in the year, I stated that Phil would make the biggest improvement over last year.  Maybe because of his injury, that has not been the case.  Either way, Phil should be the backup at both the 1 and the 2 for the remainder of the year.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
That being said, how can anyone not see the upgrade at the point with Branch in there over Phil.  Early in the year, I stated that Phil would make the biggest improvement over last year.  Maybe because of his injury, that has not been the case.  Either way, Phil should be the backup at both the 1 and the 2 for the remainder of the year.

Carmine is a good guy, but I can't figure out if he picks his "favorite players" to antagonize everyone else ala Baldi or he is simply clueless?

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »
Just telling it like it is.  The board has chosen Phil as the on court scapegoat of our to date dissapointing season.  So Saturday we got tons of Branch and we scored 51 points.  Lowest output of the season. 

Yes, Branch had a better game than Phil. The +/- #s don't lie.  Branch really has shown more as a scorer than as a point thus far. Perhaps he's a also a 2 guard?  Another putrid assist/to ratio game for him as he went 1 to 3.  That no look entry pass he uses every game is entertaining, but I'm still annoyed at him for blowing the Nova game with the technical from hell.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 10:46:52 AM »
Just telling it like it is.  The board has chosen Phil as the on court scapegoat of our to date dissapointing season.  So Saturday we got tons of Branch and we scored 51 points.  Lowest output of the season. 

Yes, Branch had a better game than Phil. The +/- #s don't lie.  Branch really has shown more as a scorer than as a point thus far. Perhaps he's a also a 2 guard?  Another putrid assist/to ratio game for him as he went 1 to 3.  That no look entry pass he uses every game is entertaining, but I'm still annoyed at him for blowing the Nova game with the technical from hell.

You are correct I'm not seeing a pure point.  But he's leaps and bounds a better point that Phil.  Sorry.  Phil's #'s do not lie.  He takes good care of the ball.  But he shortens the game with his incessant dribbling and cannot create for others unless a guy is wide open.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 10:49:19 AM »

The blowout was much more on Garrett, Sampson, Pointer and Obekpa, because they had ability to score. Still, Branch didn't penetrate enough. He needs to get in the lane, and make something happen. I saw him trying to direct the players on the court. But mostly, they just stood around being sad.